Sign in to follow this  
Bibbles

A one??? Really a ONE!!!

OK Im having a hard time getting the new characters off the ground with their stats of one. I keep getting stuck with a a encounter card I cant shake. They seem like glass cannons good for games with a high player count or am I missing something?

I assume you're mainly talking about Finn, since there's not really any Agility test treacheries that stick around each turn to bother Leo (there's Entombed but you can also make a Combat check to break out, and there's Dragged Under, but you can just suck up the damage). So for Finn, your options with things like Frozen in Fear are: Use You Handle This One! to pass it off to someone with a better willpower, get your friends to pack Let Me Handle This!, get your friends to pack Ward of Protection (2), use Logical Reasoning to discard it, use Moxie and save up loads of resources (and/or skill cards etc) to pass the test regardless, or just suck up the effect. There's a few other fiddly options (like using Scrying to stack the encounter deck) but those are the main ones. Obviously if you're playing true solo, you can only rely on throwing resources to pass the check, using Logical Reasoning, or sucking it up.

In general, you just need to be aware of what you'll face and plan accordingly. You're pretty much guaranteed to fail these checks, sure, but really a 1 in a stat isn't much worse than a 2 in that stat, and in return you get an extra stat point somewhere more useful. These investigators have definite weaknesses and can get screwed over by certain scenarios more than the average person, but they're not catastrophically unusable in low player counts. Finn has the ability to manage investigation and monsters and he has a balanced health/sanity spread, so he's still better off solo than quite a lot of investigators out there.

I havent given Finn a try yet, I can see how it would be a problem.   First off, if you dislike any aspect of a character, including his stat distribution, you could just pick a different character.  But if you want to make Finn work, you might have to find a way to work around this issue.  When I played Jenny I wanted to boost her willpower and ended up giving her 2x Moxie once she had a little XP.  Moxie lets you dump your resources into passing willpower checks...  but this is something not to be done lightly.   Only for the really absolute worst of them, like a Frozen in Fear, would you commit so many resources.  I found it was okay, but still, Jenny has a 3, not a 1, and her trust fund helps ensure more cash to spend, so this might not be the best answer for Finn, but it's an option.  

He might be able to compensate with Lucky! and Rise to the Occasion instead.   If he loses sanity (seems likely)  then he could be a good candidate for Say Your Prayers as well.   To be clear, these are just some untested ideas.  I'd be interested to hear how Finn players are dealing with it.

As Allonym suggested, I think Leo has a much easier time,  I've played him quite a bit and his 1 evasion wasn't a big detriment.   Ursula's 1 combat I haven't had a problem with either.

I made it to the end of the Dunwick campaign with Finn. You just gotta roll with the horror damage and immunize yourself the best you can against the more irksome effects low Willpower can have. 

Literally the greatest threat to Finn is Frozen in fear and the reason I wouldn't ever play him blind. You just gotta know if the scenario has Frozen in fear in it and when it does, you gotta use Adaptable to swap-in Logical Reasoning to deal with it. Otherwise a couple copies of Peter Sylvestre will contribute to both your Agility and your horror defense.

The only other 1's I can think off are 1-fight on a variety of folks and 1-agility on Leo, frankly the 1-agility is no problem, just arm yourself and murder whatever gets in your way, you can tank whatever damage you may suffer from Agi-treacheries. 1-fight has a variety of workarounds, typically Shrivelling or I've got a Plan.

On 9/23/2018 at 6:52 AM, tsuruki said:

The only other 1's I can think off are 1-fight on a variety of folks and 1-agility on Leo, frankly the 1-agility is no problem, just arm yourself and murder whatever gets in your way, you can tank whatever damage you may suffer from Agi-treacheries. 

My Leo murders whatever gets in is way and otherwise pushes his "friends" into all the traps. Bought in Blood indeed.