Coranhann

New upgrade card idea

I blame Piratical Moustache, I usually don't do suggestion of cards / ships (unless to change an aspect of the game).

But, the whole VSD thread had me thinking.

I have two ideas for an upgrade card. Would any of these make sens to you?

Shield Power Reroute - Offensive retrofit

Medium ship only - Modification

While you attack, you may spend a redirect token to set a die to a face with a critical hit icon.

All Power to Engines - Offensive retrofit

Medium ship only

At the begining of the ship phase, you may exhaust this card and spend 2 shields to make a speed 1 manoeuver.

First one helps VSD 1 a lot. AF a bit. Interdictor very little. Quasar ... yeah ... I guess.

Gain value over time (once you have no more shield to lose, using it is kind of free).

Helps all kind of dice, but black dices most.

Cannot be used in conjonction with DisCap (except by Quasar, but come on ...).

Can be used twice a turn. Might be too much, but given who can use it, I'm not that concerned.

Second one brings 2 things to the table:

VSD are now speed 3. AF are speed 4. Interdictor can be speed 4 if they REALLY want to. Quasar ... come oooon!

But mainly : You move out of turn! Meaning you can avoid over commiting yourself. On a ship like the ISD or the MC75, that would be broken as "the place you go when you die and you've been a naughty person". But on AF and VSD, I think it could be ok.

I'm not going to try pricing those. It's not the point. The point was the mechanic of it all. Hope you'll like it. Hope you'll like discussing them, at the very least :)

Edited by Coranhann

The problem you encounter with these is that you limit future design space- every future medium is now restricted by these cards.

If you want to fix the VSD, make the card VSD only, or make a new variant.

(Not to mention, speed four Assault Frigates sound terrifying.) 

1 hour ago, Coranhann said:

I blame Piratical Moustache, I usually don't do suggestion of cards / ships (unless to change an aspect of the game).

But, the whole VSD thread had me thinking.

I have two ideas for an upgrade card. Would any of these make sens to you?

Shield Power Reroute - Offensive retrofit

Medium ship only - Modification

While you attack, you may spend a redirect token to set a die to a face with a critical hit icon.

All Power to Engines - Offensive retrofit

Medium ship only

At the begining of the ship phase, you may exhaust this card and spend 2 shields to make a speed 1 manoeuver.

First one helps VSD 1 a lot. AF a bit. Interdictor very little. Quasar ... yeah ... I guess.

Gain value over time (once you have no more shield to lose, using it is kind of free).

Helps all kind of dice, but black dices most.

Cannot be used in conjonction with DisCap (except by Quasar, but come on ...).

Can be used twice a turn. Might be too much, but given who can use it, I'm not that concerned.

Second one brings 2 things to the table:

VSD are now speed 3. AF are speed 4. Interdictor can be speed 4 if they REALLY want to. Quasar ... come oooon!

But mainly : You move out of turn! Meaning you can avoid over commiting yourself. On a ship like the ISD or the MC75, that would be broken as "the place you go when you die and you've been a naughty person". But on AF and VSD, I think it could be ok.

I'm not going to try pricing those. It's not the point. The point was the mechanic of it all. Hope you'll like it. Hope you'll like discussing them, at the very least :)

If Shield Power Reroute added/changed a dice to an accuracy, that would help the Victory I with one of it's biggest issues, and I think the AFMK2 could get some riskier use of the upgrade.

Really any Medium exclusive upgrades would be nice, and more ships especially for the Rebels.

23 minutes ago, Piratical Moustache said:

If Shield Power Reroute added/changed a dice to an accuracy, that would help the Victory I with one of it's biggest issues, and I think the AFMK2 could get some riskier use of the upgrade.

Really any Medium exclusive upgrades would be nice, and more ships especially for the Rebels.

I have no vision on how powerful accuracies are considered to be. Damage, on the other end, pretty easy to assess by looking at existing upgrades.

And one of VSD I many issues is that it uses red & black, which is a highly unreliable combo. Playing with TRC a lot, I know from experience that changing one blank dice to the desired result is extremely powerful.

41 minutes ago, chr335 said:

How does it  become free once you are out of shields?

You'd be spending your redirect token. Which becomes kind of useless at the end of the game (You could engineer some shield back and want to have a redirect available, but that's not the main situation).

1 hour ago, TheCallum said:

The problem you encounter with these is that you limit future design space- every future medium is now restricted by these cards.

That ship already sailed with Disposable Capacitor.

My opinion is that FFG doesn't fix weak designs by changing the design, they do it by producing new upgrades. ISD is the only time we have seen them actually offer different profiles for an existing ship. And they didn't go so far as to change nav chart. But yeah, I definitely hope for VSD / AF variants. It's in my very first thread on this  forum, so I don't want to say the same thing over and over again. But, yeah, we want variants for VSD! With support crew! With better nav chart! With fun titles!

6 hours ago, TheCallum said:

That’s true of every non-title card released, though.  And my speed four Interdictors will charge their speed four Assault Frigates and cut off their supercharged conga line.  It will be awesome and ridiculous.

5 hours ago, Coranhann said:

But yeah, I definitely hope for VSD / AF variants. It's in my very first thread on this  forum, so I don't want to say the same thing over and over again. But, yeah, we want variants for VSD! With support crew! With better nav chart! With fun titles!

I don’t.  The problem is you don’t help the current VSD variants if you just make new ship cards (titles... maybe.)  In fact, they get overshadowed.  The ISD-1 and 2 were always great before Chimaera came along.  Part of why I like the upgrades you’ve made is because they open up fun possibilities without being an overly specific fix or outright replacement.  Since I still believe VSDs don’t need much (but you’ve made a compelling argument that perhaps they need something,) this looks like an ideal solution.

11 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

I don’t.  The problem is you don’t help the current VSD variants if you just make new ship cards (titles... maybe.)  In fact, they get overshadowed.  The ISD-1 and 2 were always great before Chimaera came along.  Part of why I like the upgrades you’ve made is because they open up fun possibilities without being an overly specific fix or outright replacement.  Since I still believe VSDs don’t need much (but you’ve made a compelling argument that perhaps they need something,) this looks like an ideal solution.

Well, the whole "you don't rework old stuff, you create new content that bring it to current standards" doesn't come from nowhere. We like new stuff way more than we like modification of existing stuff. Hence that design philosophy. I'm part of the people who love the Chimera & MC75 expansion not just for the ships, but for how deeply these expansion renewed the game. So, right now, I have a very high confidence in FFG doing something cool and well designed.

... and thanks for the nice post!

2 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

That’s true of every non-title card released, though.  And my speed four Interdictors will charge their speed four Assault Frigates and cut off their supercharged conga line.  It will be awesome and ridiculous.

This is what Armada needs, Assault Frigates and Interdictors moving faster than TIE Defenders... ?

Weapons Team upgrade

Primed Gunners

"During deployment, place a Primed Gunners token onto one of your hull zones. When an enemy ship ends it's activation in the arc of the hull zone you selected, you may discard the Primed Gunners token to perform an attack from this hull zone against that ship."

18 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

Why not? Officer slots are highly valued. 

Because MC-75's are already pretty hard to pull down with their current defensive token suite.  Stapling a second redirect just makes them MC-80's with Ordnance upgrades.

40 minutes ago, n00bzilla99 said:

Because MC-75's are already pretty hard to pull down with their current defensive token suite.  Stapling a second redirect just makes them MC-80's with Ordnance upgrades.

The Empire got ISDs with Ordnance Upgrades, I fail to see the Problem with comparison :D

1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

The Empire got ISDs with Ordnance Upgrades, I fail to see the Problem with comparison :D

Touché. 

In my opinion though, having an MC-80 with Ordnance would lead to a lot of Ackbar + close range for 7 dice pools out two sides.  Whereas the Kuat only gets 8 out of a single arc on a target (if you are somehow blessed enough to have gunnery teams and two ships in close range, then you get 2) but, I do believe that the MC-80 is superior to an ISD.

My personal opinion.  I just see an MC-75 as balanced the way it is with its current defensive token suite to offset its great double arcing potential (10 dice over 2 arcs with that many black dice is phenomenal). 

To each their own, sir!