urbanyeti

How’re people building 2.0 Kihraxz Fighters?

step 1.) add Kihraxz

step 2.) play Kihraxz

that's about it, really. Can't go too wrong with 40 points of 3-dice + 6 health.

The named pilots are a tad too pricey for my liking, though Cap Jos. would be a LOT better if the SCURRG weren't comically overcosted (it's our only trajectory simulator! short of igs, ofc)

Big problem is that the Kihraxz doesn't have an easy way of getting big mods (like it could do fearless, but it won't do it better than boosting Fangs or Vipers), which is unfortunate because graz and tbane have interesting abilities

Would be really fun to run cloak Graz, but at 52 points I know he ain't exactly a juke phantom...

Edited by ficklegreendice

The Kihraxz isn't particularly exciting yet. It's only a hair cheaper than the X-Wing (which is a decent but not fantastic ship) but the Kihraxz is stuck with worse slots, worse dial (RIP no 5k any more) and no s-foils. I'm waiting for some nifty new (and cheap) mods to be released, or maybe a missile (but tbh I'd probably just use a z95 for a missile).

I've tried Graz with cloak and he was pretty underwhelming - at PS4 he was quite vulnerable to arc dodging from imperial small ships. I expect that Graz is most useful against larger ships.

Jostero still looks fun, so I'll have to give him a go.

4 hours ago, urbanyeti said:

I’m curious about these ships as scum x-wings. How are people going about making them work if at all?

Chose X-Wing. Cry a little.

In my opinion, they are still the worse X-Wings.

Just like @ficklegreendice said - run them wild, naked and free, like God intended.

Seriously, FIVE.  CARTEL.  MARAUDERS, baybay.  15 red dice, 35 total health, native barrel rolls in a game where passive modifiers and overall damage output has mostly been reduced.  That's solid.

For those who don't want to pick up more than one Scum conversion kit (or hit the aftermarket for extra cards/dials), this weekend I ran:

2 x Cartel Marauders.
2 x Cartel Spacers with Heavy Laser Cannon
1 x Cartel Executioner with Crackshot, R2 Astromech and Hull Upgrade.

It certainly seemed solid enough.

4 hours ago, gadwag said:

The Kihraxz isn't particularly exciting yet. It's only a hair cheaper than the X-Wing (which is a decent but not fantastic ship)

This.

11 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Just like @ficklegreendice said - run them wild, naked and free, like God intended.

Because this. That point cheaper isn't much in a 40-point ship, but it juuust puts them under the critical 40-point boundary where you can field 5 ships, making it one of only a few ships which can field a really effective 5 ship/3 dice heavy swarm (Barrage Rockets TIE bomber, Shield Upgrade TIE striker, Saber Squadron Ace, Cartel Marauder, Ion Cannon Cartel Spacer [sort of]).

I'm sure that some combination of stuff like afterburners, cloak and so on can make the ship scary - and Talonbane Cobra with Proton Rockets should not be overlooked!

• Talonbane Cobra (50)
    • Fearless (3)
    • Proton Rockets (7)
    • Cloaking Device (3)
    • Hull Upgrade (5)
    • Afterburners (8)
  • Graz (47)
    • Outmanoeuvre
    • Proton Rockets (7)
    • Afterburners (8)
  • Viktor Hel
    • Homing Missiles (3)
    • Stealth Device (6)

6 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Big problem is that the Kihraxz doesn't have an easy way of getting big mods (like it could do fearless, but it won't do it better than boosting Fangs or Vipers), which is unfortunate because graz and tbane have interesting abilities

I want to try running 4 with a naked Drea, but I would have to buy a second scum kit...  

6 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Ion Cannon Cartel Spacer [sort of]).

I've been looking at Ion Spacers for control or HLC Spacers for area denial.  You're not going to get bullseye all that often on Initiative 1 ships, but having large overlapping areas that your opponent really doesn't want to end their move in can be almost as useful.  It's a really useful deterrent, and can still be exploited with blockers.

The best part of the Scyk though is it's really decently priced filler.  Cheap Cannon Scyks run at sub 35 points each, which can give you a couple of upgrade options (not many) or the potential to upgrade one of your heavy swarm to another ship entirely (like the Executioner in my case).

I was flying Talonbane Cobra + predator alongside L3-37 + Tactical Officer.  Coordinate on the escape craft was fantastic alongside an ace or two, and really helped boost (well barrel roll) Talonbane. 

I flew the infamous 5 Cartel Marauders (with their free upgrades) quite a lot last spring. Good fun and I won 50% of my tournament games.

Then I flew 5 Rookie X-wings, for their all too brief timespan. Even more fun, undefeated in the one tournament I took them to.

Last Sunday l flew 5 Sabre Squadron Aces. By far the most fun of any of these, but so fragile! Currently on 4-1, lost narrowly on points vs Vader plus Rexler Brath and finished 2nd.

The Kihraxz has more health, but can't compete with the Interceptors at all. Graz with his toys looks like fun, but costs too much for his lack of manoeuvrability compared to the Empire aces.

34 minutes ago, Gilarius said:

I flew the infamous 5 Cartel Marauders (with their free upgrades) quite a lot last spring. Good fun and I won 50% of my tournament games.

Then I flew 5 Rookie X-wings, for their all too brief timespan. Even more fun, undefeated in the one tournament I took them to.

Last Sunday l flew 5 Sabre Squadron Aces. By far the most fun of any of these, but so fragile! Currently on 4-1, lost narrowly on points vs Vader plus Rexler Brath and finished 2nd.

The Kihraxz has more health, but can't compete with the Interceptors at all. Graz with his toys looks like fun, but costs too much for his lack of manoeuvrability compared to the Empire aces.

The five sabers is definitely something I want to try. Flimsy as heck, but the advantage of autothrusters and initiative 4 means they can put up a creditable effort dogfighting even when it's down to the last one or two.

Naked for the most part- the mods they can take that would be decent are too expensive. Graz with Outmaneuved and/or Cloak can be good, and Talon himself I will stick on either Predator or Marksmanship as cheap Talents.

The 1 hard turn makes them a better dogfighter than an X-wing in my view, so keep them close to the enemy.

Love Graz. He somehow makes it into many of my scum builds. Toss him in naked. He is kinda of like the Scum version of Pure Sabaac. Your opponent cant afford to ignore him. I also like pairing him with Talonbane. 97pts for two ships tossing 10 possible red dice.

This is my scum list I have been doing well with. 15 possible red dice from 3 ships. Last game on opening engagement, tossed 14 red dice at 4Lom. He died :) 

Fenn Rau (68)
Predator (2)

Graz (47)
Crack Shot (1)

Talonbane Cobra (50)
Predator (2)

L3-37 (Escape Craft) (22)
Tactical Officer (2)

Total: 194

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I tried Fenn, Drea, and two Black Sun Aces with crackshot the other day.  It showed promise.  Drea and the BSAs have enough health that they take two or three shots minimum to take down.  Fenn does Fenn things, it's a hammer and anvil style.  I could do three Z95s instead of the Khiraxz, but I'll take a pair of three dice shots over three two dice shots most days.

I mostly like what they've done with the Khiraxz in 2.0.  I like that we traded the 5k for 2-Tallons and the addition of the barrel roll helps a lot too.  The triple mod slot is neat??  I wish they still got a points discount on mods.  So glad they gave Graz a talent slot.

I've been playing around with Drea and 2 or 3 Kihraxz in various forms.  Solid base with lots of potential.  I've tried it with a cheap Coordinate (L337), with tractor beams (cheap M3A) and with Cluster Missiles and had success with all of them.

Am I crazy for thinking that in a world where arc-dodging has been nerfed a bit, Talonbane Cobra (and his newly-buffed ability) is actually pretty good?

Not sure what you'd run with him is the only thing. Boba would leave you fifty-some points of I-don't-know-what.

4 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

The five sabers is definitely something I want to try. Flimsy as heck, but the advantage of autothrusters and initiative 4 means they can put up a creditable effort dogfighting even when it's down to the last one or two.

I found that their manoeuvrability allowed them to still arc-dodge Vader and Rexler Brath, and block them occasionally. I lost that game, but 2 more turns should have seen them do the one more point of damage I needed to get half on Rexler. I think 3 is the minimum needed to still win a game though.

They still went pop from time to time!

2 hours ago, Rodafowa said:

Am I crazy for thinking that in a world where arc-dodging has been nerfed a bit, Talonbane Cobra (and his newly-buffed ability) is actually pretty good?

Not sure what you'd run with him is the only thing. Boba would leave you fifty-some points of I-don't-know-what.

You could throw in Graz as a Flanker ;)

Maybe a Kimo with ordnance.

In any case I like the idea

14 hours ago, gadwag said:

The Kihraxz isn't particularly exciting yet. It's only a hair cheaper than the X-Wing (which is a decent but not fantastic ship) but the Kihraxz is stuck with worse slots, worse dial (RIP no 5k any more) and no s-foils. I'm waiting for some nifty new (and cheap) mods to be released, or maybe a missile (but tbh I'd probably just use a z95 for a missile).

I love the Kihraxes dial!  1 bank and a 1 hard turn?!?!?! I love it.  Also gets Talon Roll and Kturns.  The dial is really good.  

I don't have 5, but run 3 with Tractor Beam Scyk and G-3A.  I have only lost once and it was super close.

Run them naked and plentiful.   This ship is exceptional. 

15 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Talonbane Cobra (50)

• Fearless (3)
  • Proton Rockets (7)
  • Cloaking Device (3)
  • Hull Upgrade (5)
  • Afterburners (8)

GOOD GRIEF that's an expensive ship. 78 points! I like fearless for the kihraxz, but I'd miss having boost to turn it on.

5 hours ago, heychadwick said:

I love the Kihraxes dial!  1 bank and a 1 hard turn?!?!?! I love it.  Also gets Talon Roll and Kturns.  The dial is really good.  

It's not an awful dial, and those hard turns are fun for knife fighting. I find that I really miss the 1fwd and 3 hard when I fly it though - I find the X-Wing dial easier to use. My biggest gripe is that without the 1fwd, it's hard to stay in close without going too fast and bumping.