FTS Gecko

How refreshing is it to not have to choose Push the Limit on Soontir Fel?

46 minutes ago, JasonCole said:

Green dice, man. Green dice.

actually the problem is red dice not the green. If a ship takes a focus and rolls 3 red dice chances are your getting 2 -3 hits , but Interceptors with the same focus are lucky to roll 1-2 blocks

1 hour ago, Darth evil said:

actually the problem is red dice not the green. If a ship takes a focus and rolls 3 red dice chances are your getting 2 -3 hits , but Interceptors with the same focus are lucky to roll 1-2 blocks

Red dice roll 2.25 damage on average with focus. Greens are 15/8, or 1.875. The difference there is pretty minimal, on average. What truly comes into play is variance - triple evades are rarely useful, but 3 hits always is. It's the same way TIE fighters used to do damage to AGI 3 ships before they got too ridiculous to hit.

Contrary to popular belief, Soontir can token up in 2nd edition. And he can do it quite easily. All he needs is a target in his bullseye and one of his actions to be an evade. So he can get single repositioning, focus, evade and a predator reroll on offence during most rounds if you play him right. A Focus+Evade Soontir is very close to impossible to hit at R2 by ATT3 ships, and if Soontir's at R1 in arc you've made a big mistake.

8 hours ago, Astech said:

Red dice roll 2.25 damage on average with focus. Greens are 15/8, or 1.875. The difference there is pretty minimal, on average. What truly comes into play is variance - triple evades are rarely useful, but 3 hits always is. It's the same way TIE fighters used to do damage to AGI 3 ships before they got too ridiculous to hit.

Contrary to popular belief, Soontir can token up in 2nd edition. And he can do it quite easily. All he needs is a target in his bullseye and one of his actions to be an evade. So he can get single repositioning, focus, evade and a predator reroll on offence during most rounds if you play him right. A Focus+Evade Soontir is very close to impossible to hit at R2 by ATT3 ships, and if Soontir's at R1 in arc you've made a big mistake.

Not to mention the bucket of support ships that can coordinate an action to him. If you're figuring out how to solo a 200 point TIE swarm with a 60 point Fel, you've already ****** up, or stupidly taken a 140 point bid. If we're talking late game Fel, then we should be comparing him to 2-3 TIEs tops, at which point you should already be planning your victory dance.

I also think Palp Aces still has room to work, so Soontir can get similar support that he got in the past -- even if you can't token stack quite as much, having a reserve Force pool means that whatever tokens he does grab can go a bit further. And the Lambda has a rear arc to cover one of its 1.0 weaknesses.

And, in addition to being the prime reposition ace, he's also less predictable, due to being stressed far less often AND having options for the Talent slot that can overall modify how he's flown.

4 hours ago, JasonCole said:

Not to mention the bucket of support ships that can coordinate an action to him. If you're figuring out how to solo a 200 point TIE swarm with a 60 point Fel, you've already ****** up, or stupidly taken a 140 point bid. If we're talking late game Fel, then we should be comparing him to 2-3 TIEs tops, at which point you should already be planning your victory dance.

Not only can they coordinate, but this lets Soontir pull off some absolutely bonkers stuff. Lieutenant Sai can Coordinate to Soontir, who takes a Focus action, which triggers Autothrusters for a boost or BR action. Then Sai gets a free focus action for himself, and can use the ST-321 title for a target lock.

Then Soontir can execute a green to clear stress, perform an Evade, and can perform whichever action he didn't get from Autothusters the first time. If this lines someone up in his bullseye arc, he gets a second Focus token and still gets his offensive reroll.

End result: six different actions executed for the price of two.

He's also resistant to enemy blocking now, as it's very difficult to block someone without also putting yourself in their bullseye arc.

So I’m a fan of Predator, but admit it hasn’t done as much work for me in all games. But I ran this list last night, and it is 100% nasty.

Soontir Predator

Rexler Juke HLC FCS

Duchess Marksmanship Seismic Charge Bombardier

Things that didn’t do much: Marksmanship (Duchess turned away from the initial joust to do a bomb drop into the middle of 3 rocks), Bombardier, Predator

things that did a lot: everything else. I wound up taking three damage in the game, one of which was when I clipped a rock while slooping with Dutchess to wind up in a flank. But these three ships just kept rotating the angle of attack, swapping in and out like angry hornets. I may be better swapping Marksmanship for Crack Shot and dropping bombardier (Duchess is pretty good at getting the bomb where I want without it), and I could put Outmaneuver on Soontir. But really I think just upping the bid from 3-5 points is worth more than getting Outmaneuver. 

But, yeah, both are viable. Predator not as valuable, but the 4 point difference is probably worth more as a bid with him.

For coordination shenanigans 

Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle - Omicron Group Pilot - 72
    Omicron Group Pilot - (43)
        Tractor Beam (3)
        Ciena Ree (10)
        Grand Inquisitor (16)

TIE/in Interceptor - Turr Phennir - 55
    •Turr Phennir - Ambitious Ace (44)
        Juke (4)
        Hull Upgrade (7)

TIE/in Interceptor - Soontir Fel - 73
    •Soontir Fel - Ace of Legend (52)