Sign in to follow this  
IronOx

Will one 2nd ed. starter and one rebel conversion be enough to play a while?

Still on the fence mostly due to price. X-wing is fun, but sometimes life doesn’t leave much extra. 

Will a starter for tie fighters and the rebel conversion for rebel ships keep me and my son playing for a while? Might it even provide enough for an occasional night of play at the FLGS? We do have a Reaper already, so that might give the ties some support for a while. 

It depends a bit.

Do you have lots of rebel ship models already? Then yes, but you'll both be playing Rebels if you're using standard squad size rules.

If no, individual expansions are probably a more solid purchase over the conversion kits (again, unless you both want to play the same faction and you already have ships).

2 TIEs and a Reaper aren't enough to be a solid list, I'd say. If you're playing with just threat cards, that could work okay with lower threat- but you'll have to create your own threat cards for the Reaper (they didn't publish any with that expansion).

Had the same problem. Right panel of Tie Fighter on the right was leaning in at the top. I noticed before I unwrapped it. Went back to my FLG to change it. They let me look at 10+ core sets and they ALL had the same problem. Kept mine in the end.

If you have enough rebel ships and are fine with playing rebel on rebel, yes.

We went with a core set and a scum box to begin with and had no issue (short of my son preferring the Empire). Though, our collection is 100+ ships, so that conversion box isn't enough for all our scum ships to begin with.

3 minutes ago, Hidatom said:

Related Q...what does an experienced 1.0 player NEED from the new 2.0 Starter? 
could I get a conversion kit and a damage deck and be relatively good?

You'd be relatively good, but you'll need new templates with the center line for bumps and the 1-straight for the new barrel roll rules. You'll also be missing out on the core set pilots and upgrades, which aren't included in the conversion kits.

Edited by GizmotronX5000

2 minutes ago, Hidatom said:

Related Q...what does an experienced 1.0 player NEED from the new 2.0 Starter? 
could I get a conversion kit and a damage deck and be relatively good?

The new templates with a line down the middle for the new bumping and barrel roll rules is one thing. I don't remember whether there were tokens in the core set that weren't in the conversion kit, so that might be a second one. Though if you went acrylic, those are likely not an issue.

Some pilots are core set only, I believe.

Yeah, a starter + contents from a conversion will keep you occupied for untold months

Im assuming that you have models for the conversion kit, ofc, since it only comes with base plates, dials, and pilot/upgrade cards 

You don't need to have ALL TEH MODELS, obviously, but if you have a good 8-or-so shiptype variety then your only limitation is your squad building imagination

Edited by ficklegreendice

Sorry, I was unclear a bit. We have all or most 1st ed. ties so I was hoping there would be some extra imperial pilot cards in the starter. A mini swarm with reaper support should be good for me.

We have the mainstay OT rebel fighters from 1st, the two YT chassis and a HWK. Is the ARC 170 still in the rebel fleet or did it get shelved till the clone wars stuff arrives?

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd point out that one thing the online official squad builder did get right is that you can go to "Collection" and it shows you the contents of the conversion kits as regards the pilots and upgrade cards. You should be able to give it a look over and sort out whether it will provide enough amusement for you with whatever your 1st edition collection is.

Also the starter gives you enough pilot cards and ship tokens for four different TIE fighters. Aside from the change in color for some maneuvers the TIE fighter dials are the same so with a 2nd Ed. core and 1st Ed. core you should be able to get four TIEs on the table for second edition games at home. 

2 minutes ago, IronOx said:

Sorry, I was unclear a bit. We have all or most 1st ed. ties so I was hoping there would be some extra imperial pilot cards in the starter. A mini swarm with reaper support should be good for me.

We have the mainstay OT rebel fighters from 1st, the two YT chassis and a HWK. Is the ARC 170 still in the rebel fleet or did it get shelved till the clone wars stuff arrives?

Thanks for the feedback.

Here you can see the pilots and tokens you get with a 2nd Ed. core. http://xwing-miniatures-second-edition.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Core_Set

You get nine TIE/LN pilot cards and there are six ship tokens. 

4 minutes ago, IronOx said:

Is the ARC 170 still in the rebel fleet or did it get shelved till the clone wars stuff arrives?

The ARC is still in the rebel fleet and it was bumped up to being a medium base ship. It can take a crew,  a tail gunner, and an astromech. The nifty synergy between Nora and Shara got nerfed though. 

39 minutes ago, GizmotronX5000 said:

You'd be relatively good, but you'll need new templates with the center line for bumps and the 1-straight for the new barrel roll rules. You'll also be missing out on the core set pilots and upgrades, which aren't included in the conversion kits.

…and all the current force power upgrades.

1 hour ago, IronOx said:

Still on the fence mostly due to price. X-wing is fun, but sometimes life doesn’t leave much extra. 

Will a starter for tie fighters and the rebel conversion for rebel ships keep me and my son playing for a while? Might it even provide enough for an occasional night of play at the FLGS? We do have a Reaper already, so that might give the ties some support for a while. 

Thats all I'm using for right now. When the contents of the Rebel Conversion Kit were revealed I sold all my ships that weren't supported by that kit (and bought a few so I would have every ship it supported). It is plenty of content to make a TON of different squads. I did also buy the new Y-Wing because I really liked the model.

1 hour ago, IronOx said:

Is the ARC 170 still in the rebel fleet or did it get shelved till the clone wars stuff arrives?

It’s still there, but we should all pretend it isn’t, fly Y-Wings for Rebels and save the ARC for the Republic, where it belongs.

21 minutes ago, mazz0 said:

It’s still there, but we should all pretend it isn’t, fly Y-Wings for Rebels and save the ARC for the Republic, where it belongs.

The ARC has always been my favorite ship. I love seeing it on the table.

12 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

The ARC has always been my favorite ship. I love seeing it on the table.

That’ll make it all the more special when you see it next to Jedi Starfighters and Shuttles.

Just now, mazz0 said:

That’ll make it all the more special when you see it next to Jedi Starfighters and Shuttles.

Not for me. I'm just going Rebel/Resistance. Too much money has been poured form my bank account to FFG between all 1.0 ships, extra acrylic stuff for X-Wing, and now Legion expansions and terrain.