manoftomorrow010

Scout Troopers Article

I’m excited the sniper model throws 2 black dice but sad it doesn’t have offensive surge. Heavy cover will be the bane of their existence, even with sharpshooter 1.

Edited by Imperial Citizen
Accounting for offensive surge

6 minutes ago, Imperial Citizen said:

I’m sad the sniper model only throws 2 black dice. Heavy cover will be the bane of their existence, even with sharpshooter 1. 

Not if you use the sniper as a bootleg Scatter gun with a full squad of Scouts.

1 hour ago, DekoPuma said:

I can't add heavy weapons to the strike team. Am I missing something? 

Yeah I suspect you just need to clear your cache. Previously, upgrade cards had a "unit restricted" property. Then the strike teams came out and I realized I needed to change the code to have 2 options for units for an upgrade.

If that makes sense.

So the code changed and it might be loading an old code file.

So yeah, clear your cache and let me know if that fixes it.

7 hours ago, Indy_com said:

The gun itself is exactly the same as the Rebel one, only with 2 black dice rather than 1 black 1 white dice.

Then again, they don't have offensive surge...

But all of the imperial scouts are throwing 2 black dice instead of 1 black the rebel commandos throw. 

If I'm mathing this correctly, the rebel commando sniper vs the scout trooper sniper comes out like this. Black+White+Surge is 5+3. Black+Black(No-Surge) is 4+4. So both come out to 8/16 hit results out of die faces. This seems identical, but I think the scout troopers will outperform the rebel commandos slightly if both units have aim tokens, since the rebel commandos will more often be rerolling a white die, and the scout troopers will always be rerolling a black die.

19 minutes ago, jauntyharrison said:

If I'm mathing this correctly, the rebel commando sniper vs the scout trooper sniper comes out like this. Black+White+Surge is 5+3. Black+Black(No-Surge) is 4+4. So both come out to 8/16 hit results out of die faces. This seems identical, but I think the scout troopers will outperform the rebel commandos slightly if both units have aim tokens, since the rebel commandos will more often be rerolling a white die, and the scout troopers will always be rerolling a black die.

Correct. Average damage from two non-surge black with reroll is 1.5.  Average damage from surge black/white with reroll is ~1.47. 

Ultimately, I feel Rebel Commandos are going to be most used just for Sniper Teams. The base unit just doesn't outperform Troopers enough to be worth the increase in cost. However, I think Scout Troopers will be seen very often as an Imperial version of Fleet Troopers. 

8 hours ago, Lochlan said:

Ultimately, I feel Rebel Commandos are going to be most used just for Sniper Teams. The base unit just doesn't outperform Troopers enough to be worth the increase in cost.

Rebel Troopers + Z6 average 4 damage, versus 3.125 from a full Commando team with a Saboteur (not counting charge damage), or 4.125 with a Sniper. Add the value of Sharpshooter 1 to both, and Pierce 1 to the latter.

You also get Scout 2, Courage 2, and Low Profile to boot. And your only loss is 1HP.

For just 14/16 points more, they're extremely potent infantry, and they score all the objectives you want Troopers for.

I can not wait to paint these up. The speeder bikes/scout troopers were my favorite miniatures to paint so far. I am going to have a pair of bikes with no riders so that my squad can loiter around them. Even if these guys never hit my table I want to paint them.

4 hours ago, svelok said:

Rebel Troopers + Z6 average 4 damage, versus 3.125 from a full Commando team with a Saboteur (not counting charge damage), or 4.125 with a Sniper. Add the value of Sharpshooter 1 to both, and Pierce 1 to the latter.

You also get Scout 2, Courage 2, and Low Profile to boot. And your only loss is 1HP.

For just 14/16 points more, they're extremely potent infantry, and they score all the objectives you want Troopers for.

Average damage for full Commandos with a Sniper is only 3.5. Sharpshooter and Pierce are definitely great, and will situationally improve those numbers, but the fact remains that they are more expensive than Troopers, but with only similar damage and less health. 

And don't forget Troopers have Nimble. Low Profile is great, but does nothing if you are already in heavy cover. Nimble does require you to have a dodge, but a dodge against every attack is great, and stacks with cover. And if I'm going to send in a unit to try to hold down a contested objective, I would definitely pick Troopers over Commandos. Especially when those Commandos could be covering them from long range with Sniper fire. 

Commandos are good, don't get me wrong. I just would probably only take a full unit if I already had full Corps and wanted more Trooper units.