DarthEnderX

Where is my Maarek Stele Defender?!

4 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

He's not in the Conversion Kit!!

I NEED MY MAAREK DEFENDER!

ALSO I NEED HIM FORCE SENSITIVE!

Kyle Katarn and Corran Horn aren't force sensitive in the game, so I don't think Maarek Stele or Keyan Farlander will either, if they come back in the T/D, B-W expansions. :( 

not even sure if i care about him being in a defender.

I rarely ever got his ability off since a defender in 1.0 had a tough time getting crits through a shield. It had no way of forcing them unless you DIDNT take juke for some reason and used calculate.

1 hour ago, HolySorcerer said:

I'm holding out hope for a cardboard only Maarek Stele expansion pack, that gives us Stele in all of the ships he piloted.

MY CHILDHOOD DEMANDS IT FFG!

So tie/LN, tie/In, tie/sa, tie/av, GUNBOAT, tie/d what am i missing? 

17 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

I rarely ever got his ability off since a defender in 1.0 had a tough time getting crits through a shield. It had no way of forcing them unless you DIDNT take juke for some reason and used calculate.

You didn’t just pair him with Palpatine?

But yeah second edition you would have to staple Marksmanship to him. 

I think I would want a different ability on him, but if they wanted to add a third I6 to the Empire Maarek Stele in a Defender feels strong. 

I’m also interested in seeing Vult Skerris in a Defender. 

51 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we get Vult Skerris instead, to be honest.

I guess they will add Rexler, Vessery and Ryad in the expansion too, right?
They increased the price of expansions so perhaps that means they can include more cards and both Stele and Skerris fit there.

It would be quite stupid not to include a fan favorite like Stele, that has a whole X-wing event tournament dedicated to his name.

1 hour ago, Azrapse said:

They increased the price of expansions so perhaps that means they can include more cards and both Stele and Skerris fit there.

It would be quite stupid not to include a fan favorite like Stele, that has a whole X-wing event tournament dedicated to his name.

Yeah, they also stated that the cards specific to these expansion will be also available in Wave 2 (3, 4, 5,...) Conversion Kits.

1 hour ago, Azrapse said:

Actually.. as much as I would like to see it, it isn't that stupid.    TIE Fighter on PC came out 24 years ago.   While everyones area and experience will differ, based on the last tourney there were maybe 4 or 5 people that are probably old enough to remember the game.   Most players were around the late 20’s to early thirties putting them in the 4-10 year old range when the game was released.  

This makes it likely that they may not have played the game.   While the last few years showed a GOG release I think, it is a very dated game.   Younger players, are probably more familiar the newer canon material than the old game.   

While this game DOES draw on some legends material, 2.0 has shown that they are replacing some of the old legends pilots with current canon characters.   

It is not stupid as you say, just not what your prefer.  I would say that, at this point, there are probably an equal numbef of people that are just as familiar with Marek Stele as they are Vult Skerris, with the latter maybe being more familiar with younger players.   

14 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Actually.. as much as I would like to see it, it isn't that stupid.    TIE Fighter on PC came out 24 years ago.   While everyones area and experience will differ, based on the last tourney there were maybe 4 or 5 people that are probably old enough to remember the game.   Most players were around the late 20’s to early thirties putting them in the 4-10 year old range when the game was released.  

This makes it likely that they may not have played the game.   While the last few years showed a GOG release I think, it is a very dated game.   Younger players, are probably more familiar the newer canon material than the old game.   

While this game DOES draw on some legends material, 2.0 has shown that they are replacing some of the old legends pilots with current canon characters.   

It is not stupid as you say, just not what your prefer.  I would say that, at this point, there are probably an equal numbef of people that are just as familiar with Marek Stele as they are Vult Skerris, with the latter maybe being more familiar with younger players.   

While what you say is true, I would like to reflect a bit on the target audience of this game.
I am not sure that the target audience of Star Wars: Rebels and the target audience of X-wing Miniatures are exactly the same.
Sure they overlap: I am closer to 40 than not, and I have watched Rebels. But I totally understood they didn't make that show thinking on my age span.
Now, is this game aimed at kids? I don't really think so. When every game piece is between $20 and $40, I think this is aimed more at young adults with spare income. The usual hobbyist profile. At least that matches what I see in tournaments and events where X-wing is played.

Apart from that, we have Nym in the game. How mane people could say from where does that guy come from without checking the Wiki? What about Guri? Who the **** are Karsabi and Vynder? I am as fan of the Gunboat as FTS Gecko and I have never heard those names before.
And not even leaving the TIE Defender ship, I had no idea who Rexler Brath, Vessery and Ryad were until I checked the Wiki. Were they name-dropped in some comic in the 90s?

Compare that with the main character of one of the only 3 Star Wars games that have been considered among the best videogames ever:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_considered_the_best

6 minutes ago, Azrapse said:

While what you say is true, I would like to reflect a bit on the target audience of this game.
I am not sure that the target audience of Star Wars: Rebels and the target audience of X-wing Miniatures are exactly the same.
Sure they overlap: I am closer to 40 than not, and I have watched Rebels. But I totally understood they didn't make that show thinking on my age span.
Now, is this game aimed at kids? I don't really think so. When every game piece is between $20 and $40, I think this is aimed more at young adults with spare income. The usual hobbyist profile. At least that matches what I see in tournaments and events where X-wing is played.

Apart from that, we have Nym in the game. How mane people could say from where does that guy come from without checking the Wiki? What about Guri? Who the **** are Karsabi and Vynder? I am as fan of the Gunboat as FTS Gecko and I have never heard those names before.
And not even leaving the TIE Defender ship, I had no idea who Rexler Brath, Vessery and Ryad were until I checked the Wiki. Were they name-dropped in some comic in the 90s?

Compare that with the main character of one of the only 3 Star Wars games that have been considered among the best videogames ever:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_considered_the_best

Agreed the game is in a weird place in terms of fan demographics.   As I said, in my area, most people playing seem to be about 30 making them possibly too young to have played the game.   Younger players are not as likely to play the game as it is VERY dated.   Truly, I wish that a new TIE Fighter game would come out, but EA doesn't seem to think it is worth doing (a different conversation entirely).    

Pong and Zork are on that list too..  how many people have played them?   Citizen Kane is considered the best movie of all time, but how many people under a certain age have watched it?  

Ryad, Vessery, Brath, and Stele will have the same amount of recognition for a lot of people too.   Personally, I'm all for more current canon characters showing up.   The scum faction needs to be padded out the most, as most of the pilots are legends, but with the Clone Wars   Era coming, we will get some canon characters - And I will fly scum when Hondo gets a ship.   

Maybe in x-wing 3.0, they will find a decent way to seperate the pilots from the chassis.   While the star trek space battle did it poorly, that is more indicitive of that company than the concept being bad.   

This game is certainly in a weird spot with regards the new extended media stuff and the old EU stuff. Iden Versio showing up in this game didn't come as a surprise at all and brought the mixed feelings I had about her from Battlefront II (2017) with her. She feels so very much like a cynical corporate vision getting crammed down my throat.

I think the weird spot comes from the licensor wanting to push their new stuff (and trying to push the post ROTJ/old EU time frame towards the sequels and somehow use it to fill in all the failures of world-building those were subject too) and a not small portion of the audience for this game and other tie-in stuff being quite steeped in the old EU. 

We could of course be over-complicating this. Disney has to approve all of this stuff and it seems reasonable that FFG just asked for a list of names of pilots they can use that are "pre-approved" because they have to call these guys/gals something. 

23 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

Allow me to introduce you to A Score to Settle, Advanced Homing Missiles, Palpatine, Swarm Leader, and the like. Maarek was [1st edition is obsolete now] good if you played to his strengths. 

21 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

This game is certainly in a weird spot with regards the new extended media stuff and the old EU stuff. Iden Versio showing up in this game didn't come as a surprise at all and brought the mixed feelings I had about her from Battlefront II (2017) with her. She feels so very much like a cynical corporate vision getting crammed down my throat.

I think the weird spot comes from the licensor wanting to push their new stuff (and trying to push the post ROTJ/old EU time frame towards the sequels and somehow use it to fill in all the failures of world-building those were subject too) and a not small portion of the audience for this game and other tie-in stuff being quite steeped in the old EU. 

We could of course be over-complicating this. Disney has to approve all of this stuff and it seems reasonable that FFG just asked for a list of names of pilots they can use that are "pre-approved" because they have to call these guys/gals something. 

Yeah, I feel like putting the BF characters in wave 1 is a little odd. Personally I feel they should have gotten their own special campaign expansion or something similar, with pilots for both empire and rebel from that game. It would have given us more pack space for other classics to come back. 

They are apart of the Star Wars universe, so they do deserve a slot in this game,  and I’m sure they have their fans, I just think they could have been included in a different manner. 

10 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

I'm holding out hope for a cardboard only Maarek Stele expansion pack, that gives us Stele in all of the ships he piloted.

MY CHILDHOOD DEMANDS IT FFG!

Maybe just make him a Title card that plays on any non-unique Imperial ship and gives it his pilot ability.

3 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Most players were around the late 20’s to early thirties putting them in the 4-10 year old range when the game was released.  

That's when it was first released.  There were also updated versions, and I believe a boxed collection set later.  Also, maybe I'm misremembering, but it seems to me like many games stuck around much longer back then (especially because they were on physical media, and so could end up in garage sales and whatnot).

I mean, I'm in my early 30s and have very fond memories of playing those games in high school (early 2000s).

11 hours ago, Mirrimon said:

Clearly they are saving him for the Tie Avenger IMO!

...please?

They totally should; especially now that it isn't going to step on the toes of the Tie Silencer. The question is how they will be able to differenciate it from the Tie Advanced V1, X1, and Defender? I don't recall there being much of a difference between the Avenger and the Defender in Tie Fighter.

The Defender was faster, more agile, tougher shields and hull, plus had ion cannons and held more missiles. 

The Avenger was a step up from the X1 being faster and having 4 lasers instead of 2.

If translated to the game, a 3 primary and maybe a sloop or t roll to the X1 dial. If they don't make a new model, perhaps a configuration for the X1.

In Tie Fighter Game there were an abyss between T/A and T/D. First: speed. Second: Manovreability. Then: Firepower. Last: Shields strenght. Oh, the warhead payload, and acceleration too, were on T/D side.

T/D was so perfect, as a Starfighter, that when it came the multiplayer era, it would "nerfed" to not overstretch his superiority on Rebels design. I have used the old statistics of T/D from TIE Fighter Game (Gods! videogames of that age and their editability!) in a multiplayer fight and being myself a medium skill pilot I would able to fight a complete squadron of A-Wings manned by most capable pilots... the same case were against the T/A, which have some **** blind spots when you go on them from down or up slash, and are less agile in flanking turn.

The most good news is that both T/A and T/D are coming back to canon. T/D has just arrived thanks to Rebels. T/A will be come next as the predecessor of TIE Silencer, which you could note is quite the same lines of a TIE Advanced as depicted in the pc games.