drail14me

Tips on painting a TIE Defender

@drail14me I painted mine as follows:
- remove all panels (twisted gently until they poped)
- prime (used Tamiya white primer spray can)
- base (used some Citadel white something - light grey, in fact-  spray can)
- mask (used Tamiya masking tape) - took a fair amount of time
- color (used Tamita spray can orange)
- unmask
- canopy with blue, aging with nun oil

It was my second paint ever, here's the result:

znl1sYR.jpg

Good luck!

WanouMars

For my Defender, I used a lot of wash. 

9c41feeb99ea6f0d3285dce92b324643.jpg

basically, painted the inside of the panels light blue-grey, then carefully painted the outside frames of the panels and the rest of the model purple. Next, painted windows green and then carefully added metallic details. Then a heavy wash on the insides of the panels with Drakenhof Nightshade (dark blue wash). Washed the model itself with a much lighter coat of Nightshade to bring out details, and then washed the windows with... what's the dark green Citadel one? Something Camoshade... 

And that's about it. Wash is amazing. It can make even a relatively poor painter like myself capable of painting the Defender and not looking like a moron! :) 

I didn't have to pull off the wings or anything, it's just a lot of panels so it takes a while.  Masking is one way of doing it but you don't need to, depends on how you work and what you're looking to do with it.

gWT3otB.jpg

^^^ 162 panels.  If you are repainting the panels, make sure you really want to do this ... :)

13 hours ago, Kieransi said:

For my Defender, I used a lot of wash. 

9c41feeb99ea6f0d3285dce92b324643.jpg

basically, painted the inside of the panels light blue-grey, then carefully painted the outside frames of the panels and the rest of the model purple. Next, painted windows green and then carefully added metallic details. Then a heavy wash on the insides of the panels with Drakenhof Nightshade (dark blue wash). Washed the model itself with a much lighter coat of Nightshade to bring out details, and then washed the windows with... what's the dark green Citadel one? Something Camoshade... 

And that's about it. Wash is amazing. It can make even a relatively poor painter like myself capable of painting the Defender and not looking like a moron! :) 

Do you have pictures of the work in progress? I'm not good with a brush and learning your technique would be awesome :) 
I can share how I do masking ? 

My issue with brushing acrylics, is that it looks ugly for a few layers and I don't really know how to work it out.

Thanks! :)

WanouMars

6 hours ago, WanouMars said:

Do you have pictures of the work in progress? I'm not good with a brush and learning your technique would be awesome :) 
I can share how I do masking ? 

My issue with brushing acrylics, is that it looks ugly for a few layers and I don't really know how to work it out.

Thanks! :)

WanouMars

Unfortunately, I didn't take any in-progress pictures, but there's definitely some more skilled painters than myself who film painting videos... 

sorry I can't be of more help! If I paint another defender sometime soon, I'll take some pictures of the process. 

As for brushing, I think it's just something to get used to, that it's going to look bad for a while before it starts looking good. Sometimes it's just about trusting that the journey will lead somewhere fun, rather than trying to force-fit the end result. Painting is definitely more of an art than a science that way! :) 

9 hours ago, drail14me said:

I’ve jumped in. Got a Shapeways TIE Defender Elite. First coats of primer on. Gonna be a slow process  

sxzwozB.jpgk1UILRA.jpg

That looks promising. And the figure looks very sharp indeed!

Don’t forget to prime the base and pegs in black. Trust me, you’ll love it! ?

9 hours ago, drail14me said:

I’ve jumped in. Got a Shapeways TIE Defender Elite. First coats of primer on. Gonna be a slow process.

Nice work! This is how I've done a few of my TIE repaints. Prime with the solar panel colour you want and paint the rest of the hull as if you were detailing. If you want to get some depth on your solar panels I recommend using an angle edged brush for drybrushing. Take it easy and use even less paint than you normally would for drybrushing. I also recommend doing the solar panel drybrush now before you start painting the hull. That way you can clean up any overbrushing with the hull colour and tighten up the edging. Then do a dark wash after you've based the hull in whatever colour you choose, and finally any highlighting on the hull to bring it back up. I find dark solar panels don't really need highlighting as their supposed to be a dull matte finish anyway.

I use a thinned down ink on my panels. I base coat everything (with an airbrush) then I apply a thinned down ink to the panels. If I slop any ink off to the sides then I can just touch it up with the base coat color and the brush. 

http://makeperday.blogspot.com/2017/02/project-255-painting-tie-fighters-for-x.html?q=X+wing

File 2017-02-05, 8 17 36 PM - Copy.jpeg

Edited by Poultrybane
Added web link to better resolution pictures

21 hours ago, drail14me said:

I can't seem to get the forums to let me insert the IMGUR link to the photo. GRRRRRRRR

1. At the top right on Imgur, click on your username.  A drop down menu shows up. Select "Images" You should then see a bunch of thumbnail pic.
  2. Click on the pic you want to use. Then you'll see the image with a bunch of options on the right.
  3. Click on the blue "copy" button next to the BBCode for message boards and forums.
  4. Paste that code into your forum post. (I will look like a line of text until you hit "Submit Reply" on your post.
  5. Done!

DIis8xa.jpg

1 hour ago, Force Majeure said:
  1. At the top right on Imgur, click on your username.  A drop down menu shows up. Select "Images" You should then see a bunch of thumbnail pic.
  2. Click on the pic you want to use. Then you'll see the image with a bunch of options on the right.
  3. Click on the blue "copy" button next to the BBCode for message boards and forums.
  4. Paste that code into your forum post. (I will look like a line of text until you hit "Submit Reply" on your post.
  5. Done!

DIis8xa.jpg

I’m using the iOS mobile app and don’t have those options. When I’m able to “copy link” and use “Insert other media”, after copying and pasting, the entry field turns red and nothing happens. 

5 hours ago, Force Majeure said:
  5. Done!

DIis8xa.jpg

Let see if it works here on my Mac:

tfTqtI1.jpg

Having some trouble in the TIE factory. First off, my thinned paint interacted with my masking tape glue and left a nasty residue on the solar panels. In trying to clean off the tape goo, one of the wings broke. Many these shapeways are brittle. Any, it's in the repair shop and technicians are trying to find a way to get the glue off that won't harm the paint or plastic. So far, lighter fluid seems like the best suggestion. Hope to get some from town today.

vGhUAv2.jpg

6 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Maybe do a very light wash to get some of the finer details to pop.

3:1 or 4:1 Water to Wash (Nuln Oil or similar).

If you go for it, try it on the underside of the Shuttle first to get a feel for it.

My tip on my airbrush cracked. New one should be here Friday. Plan to give both a clear gloss coat to help with the wash. Give both a light wash the dull coat seal. Might throw some gloss on the solar panels of the tie. 

On 10/3/2018 at 12:27 PM, Force Majeure said:

Maybe do a very light wash to get some of the finer details to pop.

3:1 or 4:1 Water to Wash (Nuln Oil or similar).

If you go for it, try it on the underside of the Shuttle first to get a feel for it.

So, I decided to go ahead and put a gloss coat on with a rattle can of Testors Clear Gloss Coat instead of waiting on my airbrush tip. I guess my can of Gloss Coat was older than I thought. My nice clean bright white shuttle now has a yellow brown tint. ?

Hoping it will clear up some when dry but not looking good. Lesson learned. Keep rattle cans fresh and new. 

Edited by drail14me