emsgoof

2.0 - all who are leaving

1 minute ago, SabineKey said:

On what are you basing this conclusion?

Prior history of how FFG has operated and knowing that Epic play was always a niche part of the game line to begin with.  I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but only time will tell.

Edited by Otakuon

1 minute ago, Otakuon said:

Prior history of how FFG has operated and knowing that Epic play was always a niche part of the game line to begin with.  I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but only time will tell.

And while historic data is useful, nothing yet indicates that it supersedes their promise in the 2.0 FAQ that Epic will continue on.

2 minutes ago, Otakuon said:

Because it is clear FFG's intention is to make X-Wing (and most of their products these days) a purely tournament only/organized play sort of affair (or at least, every game should be played with the intention of eventual tournament play).  I, and many others, just don't have any interest in this sort of thing

Is it? You can tell that 5 days after release? Heck, the last time I looked there weren't even any second edition tournament rules published yet.

I could say the same thing about the intent of 1st edition but I doesn't seem like that kept you, and many others, from playing it anyway.

and as many others have noted, FFG has stated that they are working on a new version of Epic.

Not to mention all the upcoming events that have a much more thematic feel to them. like the Battle of Yavin events that have been hinted at.

Well, no matter, you'll do what you want regardless of the flawed reasons stated. Have fun with whatever you decide to play moving forward. There is lots of great stuff out there.

That is the whole point of this discussion..  What is the reason for everyone to transition to 2.0 if it doesn't bring any major improvements to the way some of us already play it?  There is no need to rush out and buy it just because it is "new".  New doesn't always mean "better".  I really don't get why so many people are so personally offended that some of us don't feel the need to jump to 2.0 right away and would rather take a  wait and see approach, or, heaven forbid, never transition to 2.0 at all.

Edited by Otakuon

28 minutes ago, Otakuon said:

Eventually, it comes down to, why would we support a product that doesn't really add much more value to the way we already play?

And the funniest part is, how much work would it really take to cater to us vs. How much they’d make?  If they had released a campaign/mission book similar to memoir 44’s WW2 volume 1&2 I’d have bought it at the drop of a hat.  Just a book of missions with a recommended list for each player or the option to make your own, beck throw in a new sheet of cardboard objectives like the senate shuttle/asteroids etc.  How hard would that be?

9 minutes ago, Bakura83 said:

And the funniest part is, how much work would it really take to cater to us vs. How much they’d make?  If they had released a campaign/mission book similar to memoir 44’s WW2 volume 1&2 I’d have bought it at the drop of a hat.  Just a book of missions with a recommended list for each player or the option to make your own, beck throw in a new sheet of cardboard objectives like the senate shuttle/asteroids etc.  How hard would that be?

Exactly.  I mean, they released an entire campaign kit for Armada, why couldn't' they have done something like that for X-Wing?  Plus, Armada has objective cards built into the core rules which actually make up part of the list building process and give each match a bit of unique "flavor" instead of just "line up on each end of the table and then kill all ships".  This is why the impression that FFG gives is that X-Wing, especially now with 2.0, is purely a tournament game.  When 1.0 dropped, it was clear that FFG had the intention of making it a game that would involve more complex objectives and a "narrative".  But as the tournament scene took off, they, like many other miniature game publishers, dropped the focus on narrative play and instead chased after the tournament crowd. Sure, this is where the money is to be made, so I guess I can't blame them. But the rest of us who actually like scenario/narrative based play can't help but feel a little left out.

Edited by Otakuon

Yeah, I saw that as well.  The quality of FFGs products have really been going downhill since the Asmodee merger.  But I guess that shouldn't be any surprise as now they have to cut costs to meet shareholder demands.  They still produce great art/design, but what's the point if they are printed on cheap materials?  Just part of Asmodee's continuing crusade to be the new Hasbro (or at least get bought out by them).

Edited by Otakuon

4 minutes ago, Bakura83 said:

...yet another reason why I’d rather spend £200 on a SSD and not upgrading to 2.0...

The SSD is made by the same people...Do you think current and future armada is going to be any different? Just saying. If the quality is your issue I expect the SSD to be of equal levels. I feel the answer you’re looking for is, “yet another reason to switch companies”

20 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

The SSD is made by the same people...Do you think current and future armada is going to be any different? Just saying. If the quality is your issue I expect the SSD to be of equal levels. I feel the answer you’re looking for is, “yet another reason to switch companies”

Not at all - I’ve not had any quality issues with any Armada products including the all cardboard/paper ones like Corellian Conflict.

3 hours ago, PanchoX1 said:

Is it? You can tell that 5 days after release? Heck, the last time I looked there weren't even any second edition tournament rules published yet.

Let's looks at today's news blerb, shall we??

Oh, look, it's Jeremy Chamblee talking about his tournament experiences and FFG urging people to "have such an open and inviting community filled with really great people to not just game with, but to simply be around. If anyone hasn't gotten the chance or taken the opportunity to go to an X-Wing tournament and meet these great folks, I would highly recommend it."

I could say the same thing about the intent of 1st edition but I doesn't seem like that kept you, and many others, from playing it anyway.

Back then we dreamed that FFG had us in mind for someday later.  Later keeps getting later, and later, and later. . . 

Which is exactly why 2.0 is a breaking point for many of those players.  In the moment we don't even have Epic to keep the dream alive.  Only the vague promise that "we'll get back to you later."

As a game, XWM as produced by FFG hasn't been very directed at casual play, still isn't very directed at casual play, and now with the cost of conversion to 2.0 some casual players are getting tired of throwing coins down the X-Wing Wishing Well, literally and literally figuratively.

Not to mention all the upcoming events that have a much more thematic feel to them. like the Battle of Yavin events that have been hinted at.

In the moment, based on what's in the App, the much touted "Battle of Yavin" theme is standard play at 400/6 with list building limited to pilots present at said battle in the movie.  Oh, boy.

Edited by Darth Meanie