emsgoof

2.0 - all who are leaving

How can 2.0 be played in the future once they withdraw support for the app?

At least with 1.0 there is a infinite shelf life as everything pointswise is printed on the cards.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but this is an expensive hobby to maintain.

Edited by mfairhu1

2 minutes ago, mfairhu1 said:

At least with 1.0 there is a infinite shelf life as everything pointswise is printed on the cards.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but this is an expensive hobby to maintain.

I guess the only thing to do will be to print out everything when they announce the app is going away, then play based on those final stats.  

Not an appealing prospect.

19 minutes ago, mfairhu1 said:

There is the printing out the pdf method, not to mention several fanmade squad builders already up and running. Losing the official app would be unfortunate, but hardly insurmountable.

1 hour ago, mfairhu1 said:

At least three ways.

You can print out the points PDFs and add the points up manually.

Or you could use a third party app - there's already a couple out there.

Or thirdly you can use the quick build cards, which will always be a fast and straight forward way to pick up and play.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:04 AM, Boris_the_Dwarf said:

One of the greatest strengths of x-wing was that for about $100, anybody could play. After that, $10-15 for a small ship and the occasional $30-50 for a large ship every few months kept you going. Some of us bought more, but it wasn’t a requirement. 

And this is still true. core set+ conversion set of your choice = approx. $90.00 and nearly 50 playable ships/pilots. buying more is not a requirement.

3 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

And this is still true. core set+ conversion set of your choice = approx. $90.00 and nearly 50 playable ships/pilots. buying more is not a requirement.

Um that only works for people who spent more on 1.0 or are planning on scooping up left over 1.0 product. $90 figure on that is plain incorrect.

4 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

Um that only works for people who spent more on 1.0 or are planning on scooping up left over 1.0 product. $90 figure on that is plain incorrect.

If you don't have 1.0 product, then you're spending barely any more than you would've in 1st ed

$100 gets you the Core Set and 3 X-wings, before tax/shipping etc

difference here being the X-wings are actually worth a ****** and actually lend themselves to a lot of viable lists given the flexibility of both Servomotors AND the wealth of named pilots with solid-to-exceptional abilities

had you spent the $ on 1st ed x-wings...well you've got yourself garbage unless you further invest in Saw's + whatever hunting you have to do to get FAAs

Edited by ficklegreendice

2 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

well of course.  this is directed at veteran players who are complaining about needed to spend 100s of dollars. it's absolutely correct.

And it's also correct, in the spirit of the post I was replying to. you can get into the game for a low amount and spend as much or as little as you can/want depending on what you want out of the game.

Perhaps you feel I am incorrect because we are possibly misunderstanding where each other is coming from?

Just now, PanchoX1 said:

well of course.  this is directed at veteran players who are complaining about needed to spend 100s of dollars. it's absolutely correct.

And it's also correct, in the spirit of the post I was replying to. you can get into the game for a low amount and spend as much or as little as you can/want depending on what you want out of the game.

Perhaps you feel I am incorrect because we are possibly misunderstanding where each other is coming from?

The way I took what you quoted was that anyone can drop $100 and play. The response you gave inferred that you could but in the context you gave you can only do that if you have already spent 100’s of dollars on 1.0. If you are a new player @ficklegreendice‘S response is valid but only if you want to fly xwings. Empire is arguably attainable but weaker at that price point and scum cost is waay higher. That’s where I’m coming from.

also, gotta say I take some umbrage to people baselessly claiming that "another power combo" will break the game and be discovered

First of all, ya'll ain't nostradamus

Second of all, we're basing that perspective on FFG's handling on 1st edition.

And I must stress that, while FFG dun goofed 1st edition, 1st edition was SO limited in design space that such broken mechanics were inveitable

The MOMENT the lazy, hackneyed, completely inappropriate-for-this-game 360-****-you-turret mechanic was introduced, the game was basically unsalvagable. Turrets were either worthless, or way too stupid necessitating stupid fixes like Autothrusters, thereby completely unbalancing aces which thereby required high offense counters which thereby obliterated everything thereby requiring ridiculous x7 tier defenses etc etc etc 

So yeah, FFG ain't the best but 1st edition carries the vast majority of the blame. It was made not knowing how EXPLOSIVELY popular it would become, leading to stupid things like PWTs

2nd edition gives you far more room to breathe than just "layer on action independent mods, because we can't do **** else!" You can layer powerful modifiers with reasonable limitations, such as Predator (bullseye), reinforce (completely within front or rear half), Fearless/outmanuever (forward arc v forward arc of opponent), Graz (have to be completely behind the defender) etc etc etc

The idea that 2nd edition is fated to devolve into the same garbage as 1st edition is uninformed and exceptionally myopic

Edited by ficklegreendice

On 9/16/2018 at 5:39 AM, Boris_the_Dwarf said:

My purchase of 1 of each product of 2.0 does not even provide a complete game with the ships that were converted.

3 ships in the core, 8 expansion ships, and... 37+34+35 ships converted is.... 117 ships converted... for a game where the most ships you can fly is 8, and most lists are 3-4 ships.

117 ships. not a complete game. wow.

1 minute ago, skotothalamos said:

3 ships in the core, 8 expansion ships, and... 37+34+35 ships converted is.... 117 ships converted... for a game where the most ships you can fly is 8, and most lists are 3-4 ships.

There is a difference between functional and complete. You have many options and it is quite functional at that level but every xpac forward will have stuff in it you don’t have, therefore incomplete. You don’t buy a conversion and call it a day if you want all the options.

Just now, LordFajubi said:

There is a difference between functional and complete. You have many options and it is quite functional at that level but every xpac forward will have stuff in it you don’t have, therefore incomplete. You don’t buy a conversion and call it a day if you want all the options.

the game will continue to have new product? That's your complaint? It's successful and will have future support and expansions...? Welcome to FFG!

1 hour ago, skotothalamos said:

the game will continue to have new product? That's your complaint? It's successful and will have future support and expansions...? Welcome to FFG!

The game is not “complete” until the last xpac and points drop. That is just fact. It’s not a problem but saying wave 1 of a multiwave game is complete is flat incorrect. Appoligies for the snark.

Edited by FFGSysops

I will probably convert to 2.0.  However, I'm waiting to see how long it's going to take for them to get all the bugs out of the app and all the missing features into it.  Maybe I'll upgrade around Christmas.

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

also, gotta say I take some umbrage to people baselessly claiming that "another power combo" will break the game and be discovered

First of all, ya'll ain't nostradamus

Second of all, we're basing that perspective on FFG's handling on 1st edition.

And I must stress that, while FFG dun goofed 1st edition, 1st edition was SO limited in design space that such broken mechanics were inveitable

The MOMENT the lazy, hackneyed, completely inappropriate-for-this-game 360-****-you-turret mechanic was introduced, the game was basically unsalvagable. Turrets were either worthless, or way too stupid necessitating stupid fixes like Autothrusters, thereby completely unbalancing aces which thereby required high offense counters which thereby obliterated everything thereby requiring ridiculous x7 tier defenses etc etc etc 

So yeah, FFG ain't the best but 1st edition carries the vast majority of the blame. It was made not knowing how EXPLOSIVELY popular it would become, leading to stupid things like PWTs

2nd edition gives you far more room to breathe than just "layer on action independent mods, because we can't do **** else!" You can layer powerful modifiers with reasonable limitations, such as Predator (bullseye), reinforce (completely within front or rear half), Fearless/outmanuever (forward arc v forward arc of opponent), Graz (have to be completely behind the defender) etc etc etc

The idea that 2nd edition is fated to devolve into the same garbage as 1st edition is uninformed and exceptionally myopic

If you really believe that, then you haven’t been paying attention to how game companies operate.

8 hours ago, skotothalamos said:

2 Rebel YT-1300s dials and I can’t fly Han and Chewbacca side by side with 1 kit. Can’t fly 2 contracted scouts, or the whole team of Rebel TIE Swarm for that matter. I could name others with more time but I’ve made the point. So no, it’s not a complete game, in the sense that I can’t use every element provided in any combination.

1 hour ago, Boris_the_Dwarf said:

I can’t fly Han and Chewbacca side by side with 1 kit.

Han and Chewbacca fly the same ship. Working as intended!

(I kid, but that’s my main fluff pet peeve with the game)

also, I agree, they really missed an opportunity to put the Rebels crew in their TIE Fighters on one side of the base and their Attack Shuttles on the other side, since you’ll never have Sabine in both in the same game, for instance. Too much functional fixedness from making individual ship expansions. 

8 hours ago, skotothalamos said:

Han and Chewbacca fly the same ship. Working as intended!

(I kid, but that’s my main fluff pet peeve with the game)

also, I agree, they really missed an opportunity to put the Rebels crew in their TIE Fighters on one side of the base and their Attack Shuttles on the other side, since you’ll never have Sabine in both in the same game, for instance. Too much functional fixedness from making individual ship expansions. 

The dial allotment is fairly well done. 1 more A-wing instead of a yt-1300 dial makes more sense to me but marketing and customer sense rarely mix.

20 hours ago, Knave Squawk said:

Legit tip - if they are leaving / left, they won't be on the forum.

I haven't played since April/May'ish, but will probably be back. Still come to the forums daily'ish to keep an eye on the state of the game and any cool ideas people are coming up with.

edit: or I might throw up my collection on /r/miniswap if the OP really wants it :P

Edited by kris40k