Sign in to follow this  
Der Kaiser

What is it with the lack of Peer/Good Rep talents?

As far as I can see, apart from the Origin Path, there's no Peer or Good Reputation talents for any of the classes. One should think that the RT and Seneschal  at least should have access to both; but there is none, or have I overlooked something?

I presume you should make them available as Elite Advancements. After all, while a Rogue Trader will very likely have several Peers and perhaps even a bit of Reputation, it's an equal guess of whether they're with Pirates (for selling some juicy details on a rival's shipping lanes), with the Administratum (for helping out in a supply shortage), the AdMech (for discovering a world with some Archeotech), the Ecclesiarchy (for converting a heathen world) or whomever. It's not like the DH guardsman where one can say "Ok, he's a guardsman, he'll become chummy with some military guys".

Just let the speakers of the group buy Peer talents whenever you as a GM think they've earned them.

Maybe someone realised that these would be better used as rewards for good roleplay/plot resolutions rather than modular additions bought with experience.

Also unlike in DH the PC's in RT don't have the weight of the Inquisition behind them to coerce people into helping them thus they rely more upon fewer, more carefully hoarded contacts than the ability to make further ones.

This issue cropped up recently in my campaign. At rank six, almost no Peer talents for the supposedly deal making Rogue Trader class. While there is merit in the idea of keeping the RT classes reliant on a few well chosen contacts, I think there should have been at least some more in the RT tree. In any case, I've allowed a few Peer talents as elite advances. This includes Peer (Inquisition) which took work on the RT character's part (lot of cooperation with the Ordo Xenos and whoever else waved a rosette) and a *lot* of sessions.

Cifer said:

I presume you should make them available as Elite Advancements. After all, while a Rogue Trader will very likely have several Peers and perhaps even a bit of Reputation, it's an equal guess of whether they're with Pirates (for selling some juicy details on a rival's shipping lanes), with the Administratum (for helping out in a supply shortage), the AdMech (for discovering a world with some Archeotech), the Ecclesiarchy (for converting a heathen world) or whomever. It's not like the DH guardsman where one can say "Ok, he's a guardsman, he'll become chummy with some military guys".

Just let the speakers of the group buy Peer talents whenever you as a GM think they've earned them.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post. There are few certain things about Rogue Traders and their crews, so any traits representing their political acumen rather than their personal skill should be left out of the advancement charts.