Sign in to follow this  
Narissa

I got my GM into trouble

Velvetears said:

dvang said:

4) Called action, even to the body, is a -20. (already mentioned by others)

*nods* this i'm aware of :) heat of the moment and all that ;)

Hey I have Sharpshooter and there is no min range on that ability. (That I can find in the book, I checked.)

Thus NO penalty and thus I am awesome. lengua.gifgran_risa.gif

Narissa said:

Thus NO penalty and thus I am awesome. lengua.gifgran_risa.gif

Sound awesome to me.  You actually remind me of one of my players who is always doing crazy, cinematic stuff in the game - makes him a lot of fun to play with.  (I have one very cinematic type player, then one who plays the intelligent Arbiter very well, they balance the game excellently ... the other players ... well, are honestly less memorable)

"6) The DE should have been able to make a dodge check against the Assassin's attack, and remember for every degree of success on a dodge he can avoid one additional hit from a single attack, including semi and full auto. So, we all know how bad Eldar are at dodging, right (cuz they have such horrible agility)? So, the roll to hit was 34-10(short range, other bonuses cancel out b/c of points #4 & 5) = 24. BS of 44, so 2 degrees of success and therefore 1+2=3 hits. Expect the DE to probably dodge 2 of those with an average roll. Is the DE wearing armor (typically xeno mesh)? That one autogun hit won't cut a DE in half. Heck, with a bad roll it might not even do *any* damage. Even 2 hits from an autogun, barring a successful Fury, probably won't put the DE into critical table. For cinematic effect, the GM might have just narrated the effect of cleaving the DE in twain, but actual rolls for damage and criticals probably wouldn't have resulted in that outcome."

If the DE was ruled to be Surprised (seems rather likely) she gets +30 to her BS Test, and he cannot Dodge.

I regret not being up enough with the rules to comment on that but if the GM decides that the building is small enough for the assassin to be able to jump down without injury, then there's no reason why you couldn't have pulled that off.  I only wish my players were that cool half the time.

LuciusT said:

Sounds to me like the Guardsman needs to get smacked upside the head with the fact that he is not the GM. The GM gets to decide these things. That's what the GM does and the GM is not wrong. Even when the GM is wrong, the GM is not wrong. happy.gif

Exactly. 

I'm hoping to the throne that i get an assassin in my game! I don't think they are "better" than guardsmen, but guardsmen are just too focused on combat while an assassin can do recon and some inquiry rather than just use a heavy stubber (not that big guns are bad ;) )

This sounds pretty epic btw, but that guardsmen is being a piece of genitalia about the situation. Who keeps shooting at the bike after the threat is neutralized? waste of ammo! =P

Ac4189 said:

I'm hoping to the throne that i get an assassin in my game! I don't think they are "better" than guardsmen, but guardsmen are just too focused on combat while an assassin can do recon and some inquiry rather than just use a heavy stubber (not that big guns are bad ;) )

This sounds pretty epic btw, but that guardsmen is being a piece of genitalia about the situation. Who keeps shooting at the bike after the threat is neutralized? waste of ammo! =P

Let's see what the Primer has to say about his behavior:

WASTING AMMUNITION

Any soldier who sells, or wilfully or through neglect wastes any ammunition will be sent to a penal battalion. (Art.4734/69y)

If you want to be realistic, her dropping on to the hover bike would be far less damaging than hitting the ground, as I imagine the sudden force of her landing would cause the bike to dip a bit before whatever field it uses to hover compensated, bleeding off a lot of the force of impact. Essentially the difference between bungee jumping and landing on a concrete floor.

Unknown said:

I can empathize with him though; Assassins are just flat out better than the Guardsman to the point where it's rage inducing.

On the contrary, I find it more appropriate to think of Guardsmen as shepherds, herding the flock in the directions he desires (using suppresive fire and indirect fire) and the Assassin as the shepherd's knife, used to cull the flock as needed.

Lasers said:

"6) The DE should have been able to make a dodge check against the Assassin's attack, and remember for every degree of success on a dodge he can avoid one additional hit from a single attack, including semi and full auto. So, we all know how bad Eldar are at dodging, right (cuz they have such horrible agility)? So, the roll to hit was 34-10(short range, other bonuses cancel out b/c of points #4 & 5) = 24. BS of 44, so 2 degrees of success and therefore 1+2=3 hits. Expect the DE to probably dodge 2 of those with an average roll. Is the DE wearing armor (typically xeno mesh)? That one autogun hit won't cut a DE in half. Heck, with a bad roll it might not even do *any* damage. Even 2 hits from an autogun, barring a successful Fury, probably won't put the DE into critical table. For cinematic effect, the GM might have just narrated the effect of cleaving the DE in twain, but actual rolls for damage and criticals probably wouldn't have resulted in that outcome."

If the DE was ruled to be Surprised (seems rather likely) she gets +30 to her BS Test, and he cannot Dodge.

I know that there is a talent that allows a test to see if you are surprised..... Even for a narrative telling that the DE looked "surprised" doesn't always mean that they are.

Also not sure if it was mentioned but lighting attack does nothing when in ranged combat. Yes you get as many free actions as you want in a round.....BUT you can't preform the same action over again in the same round...thus quick draw one gun.

As to why your guardsman would want to argue about the jet bike i have no idea. Also the metagaming of I am gonna do this so don't do that....that shouldn't be allowed. If an argument does start up then they should have wasted their time arguing and missed the chance to jump on the jetbike.

Yes jumping distance should be house ruled to Str...makes it far more realistic

RedSkull said:

Lasers said:

I know that there is a talent that allows a test to see if you are surprised..... Even for a narrative telling that the DE looked "surprised" doesn't always mean that they are.

Also not sure if it was mentioned but lighting attack does nothing when in ranged combat. Yes you get as many free actions as you want in a round.....BUT you can't preform the same action over again in the same round...thus quick draw one gun.

As to why your guardsman would want to argue about the jet bike i have no idea. Also the metagaming of I am gonna do this so don't do that....that shouldn't be allowed. If an argument does start up then they should have wasted their time arguing and missed the chance to jump on the jetbike.

Yes jumping distance should be house ruled to Str...makes it far more realistic

What you just wrote was all kinds of wrong. First and foremost, while you can't perform the same action over and over, you can in fact draw two weapons using quickdraw because it is one action, drawing a gun with both hands at the same time. Further the only actions you can't perform multiple times in a turn are combat actions, everything else there is no rule stating you can't(exception to this being the magos ballistics, which is a free action and combat action)
There is no way of knowing that the NPC had the rapid reaction talent or not, so that argument goes right the out the window. Actually, why would a gm say something was suprised if they weren't? 

And why should time have been wasted arguing? Do you continue to let time run when your players ask a question, allowing the enemies to shoot them several times? No, I don't think you would, same sort of thing here, further, the bike wasn't going anywhere as the other Dark Eldar was chillin in the room torturing someone.

But hey, if you're gming, go ahead and dont allow what happened, but you weren't and what you stated are opinions, not fact(which is what you put them as), which is fine, so long as you don't list it like its fact. What I stated where either the rules as written, or the story as written, therefore fact.

If you enter into a quick set battle encounter then you "can" as a GM ask what players are doing...As I read it I see that Rolls had been made to begin combat...which usually means(if you want to stay at an even pace) that there isn't a lot of room for discussion.

I was just Speculating about rapid reaction in support to the comment about the assassin blowing through what was probably the last boss with ease.

I didn't mean to state them as facts and I'm sorry that you read them as such... I don't claim to know all the rules by heart but I know enough to cause my games to flow.

Also as it is an RPing game the rules are open to interpretation and not always....rules as written..... It all is up to your GM and it was a very creative encounter that was mugged up by a player feeling cheated in his abilities.....also didn't even have his own PC sheet

RedSkull said:

If you enter into a quick set battle encounter then you "can" as a GM ask what players are doing...As I read it I see that Rolls had been made to begin combat...which usually means(if you want to stay at an even pace) that there isn't a lot of room for discussion.

I was just Speculating about rapid reaction in support to the comment about the assassin blowing through what was probably the last boss with ease.

I didn't mean to state them as facts and I'm sorry that you read them as such... I don't claim to know all the rules by heart but I know enough to cause my games to flow.

Also as it is an RPing game the rules are open to interpretation and not always....rules as written..... It all is up to your GM and it was a very creative encounter that was mugged up by a player feeling cheated in his abilities.....also didn't even have his own PC sheet

No harm no foul. And I admit, I probably know the rules better then I should by a lot. And like I said, if you want to run your games the way you stated, I have no problem with that at all. Heck, most of the games I play end up with different rules because different people want to GM. Also, sorry for the harsh tone, that was my bad.

Its all good no worries we GMs can get into heated arguments over he is right....comes with being a GM so often haha

But its already been said in this post and maybe should have ended there.....GMs word in your game is law