CaribbeanNinja

2018 VASSAL Autumn Tourney - Completed!

@Thrindal vs. @Undeadguy finished as a 318-314 win for Thrindal in what Turned out to be a bloodbath.

Both of our ISD's delivered Crippling/Kill shots to each other and were out of the game by the first activation of Turn 4.  Thrindal did take out one Raider early, killed the Comms Net Gozanti with Rams, I got the Slicer Gozanti with a very lucky long range shot from an Arquitens with 5 Red dice late in the game and cleaned up the second Raider turn 6.  I did also get lucky in that Rhymer saved my butt and gave me 2 squad phase shots on the second Raider from close range clearing away some shields for the eventual kill.

@Undeadguy was able to pincer my Gozanti in a kill box.  He then worked down my squads and eventually killed both my Firesprays and Rhymer and Demo had a big shot vs one of my Arquitens to kill it late.

In the end all that was left was @Undeadguy's Demo and I had one of my Arq's and the Jumpmaster.  My bid was what gave me the margin in the end as I had a 14 point bid.

Thanks to @Undeadguy for a great, bloody game.

Not sure if this worked or not but here is a Log file.

6 hours ago, Thrindal said:

[...]

Not sure if this worked or not but here is a Log file.

This is not a logfile, but a vsav. A vsav simply saves the current state of the game, not its history. In order to create a logfile, you need to start it right after the table is prepared. After concluding the match you need to click "write logfile" (maybe "end logfile" is the correct term; don't remember).

Dr Alex vs @Realadmiralsdoitinspace Was a game best forgotten by all involved due to catastrophic failings on both parts. It was all going fine until we tried to re-load from a save after a weekend break and spent 30 mins failing to even manage that. It then became a catastro***** when squadron activation became a mess in round four. 

Thanks to @rasproteus for coming and sorting us out.

Dr Alex had the bid, chose first player. Played realadmirals’ fleet ambush. Tagge got serious and actually used his ability. Jaina’s Light and bright hope got Devestated, then Home one chose to repair rather than let the Liberty destroy the quasar it had dead to rights. The quasar and devestator then escaped leaving home one to get nibbled to death by squads, eventually flying off the board on turn 6 while flakking hard.

dead:

dr Alex:

2 x TIE bombers, 1x TIE advanced, my dignity.

Realadmiralsdoitinspace:

Home one

Jaina’s light

bright hope

his dignity.

final score:

252-30 to Dr Alex: MoV 222 so a 9-2

let us never speak of this again

On 9/17/2018 at 2:22 AM, thecactusman17 said:

Cactus (barely) wins 400-317.

-edit - we played his contested Outpost.  Morna and Maarek burned through the smaller targets, but didn't get enough before the combined might of Profundity and TRC Raddus burned down both combat ships.

@thecactusman17 or @clontroper5, do you guys remember what ships died of Cactus's?

On 9/17/2018 at 9:11 PM, Deadshane said:

I managed to wipe out Tooka on turn 6.

500vp to 186.  10-1 for me.

I slow rolled the Contested outpost.  The turn he decided to jump, he did so with Cracken who got shot up.  After that ships started to melt.  His Yvaris was a thorn and did some damage, but Crackens death was the end of him too.

We had a couple of rules disputes...I shoulnt have bothered as I was wrong.  Settled before the knockdown dragout.

@Deadshane or @ExplosiveTooka, same question for Deadshane's?

Updating FART scores, thanks....

On 9/18/2018 at 10:36 PM, mhd said:

@duck_bird and I finished up a very fast game that ended with a 418-227 (MOV of 191, 8-3?) in my favor.  The pivotal turn came at the end of round 2 as the Pryce equipped quasar waited out the activations and then savaged an assault frigate, with Mauler Mithel playing the critical role of sacrificial lamb by engaging the rebel rogues for a crucial turn preventing a counterattack. Crackens assault frigate ended up stuck on rock and died to a combination of Ozzels Racks raider and squadrons. Jainnas light died in a blaze of glory after the imperial aces turned their guns on the CR90. After all rebel combat ship were lost,  Corran Horn chased down and killed Demolisher ~my most wanted~ and Ketsu Onyo killed Ozzels Raider in the squadron phase after he cockily strutted forward thinking the battle was over. 

I tried to make a log file, but always screw that up somehow. So, use you imaginations and put in the necessary pew-pew sounds.

Duck_birds 18 supporters get 0.1666 points for the fantasy league. You can pick the decimal place and round how you see fit.

@duck_bird, you got tabled, right? Just logging for FART... and @mhd, only lost Mauler for squads?

Edited by geek19
reading further...

On 9/19/2018 at 5:35 PM, Aresius said:

Aresius vs @RikkiP ends 302-144.

I give first player to rikki and he choose my most wanted. I pick his yavaris and my leia gr75 transports. Rikki do the first blood, at turn 2, on a poor scout hh who go too near of his squadrons, the on turn 3 the other 2 hh torpedo avenge her and kill the yavaris (with a ramming from a zombified hh) then in turn 4, a furious mon karren, who see his friends die, kill 3 ships in one turn (pelta and 2 transport). The last 2 turn i lost another hh, and some shield and hull on mon karren and killing 2 squadrons in response.

Btw, thx for the game Rikki. 

@Aresius, did the VCX die? And only lost 2/6 ships, right? @RikkiP, down to 1 ship, lost only 2 squads, right?

On 9/20/2018 at 10:43 PM, Zamalekite said:

Just finished my game vs @drumtier - a game in two parts!

I managed to table him for the loss of Yavaris and Tycho the Psycho. So 400:81 win. 329 MOV.

I'll share both logs once I've uploaded them as well as a bit more narrative!

Finally got around to writing up a report. Also realised that my maths was a bit off above and the MOV is 319 not 329 ? @CaribbeanNinja

Thanks again to @drumtier for being such a good sport with my kids interrupting the game a couple of times!

Setup

I was a bit nervous going into the match as not one but two MC75s with their double contain tokens were pretty much going to negate Dadonna’s ability through most or all of the game. Using Profundity to drop a ship off and then drop Aspiration with Raddus using the Profundity dropship also meant a potentially wide spread for the drop that I wouldn’t be able to restrict with my squadron shield as well I normally do vs Raddus.

Drumtier chose to go first and selected my Solar Corona as the objective. With only 3 deployments vs my 9 he was going to heavily out-deployed anyway. Deploying second helped me a bit but it turned out through the game that the Corona effect was actually quite beneficial for me cancelling several dice. I deployed the station in the centre near my setup area so I could put some squads in cover. Most of the other obstacles were deployed centrally.

Deployment

Drumtier deployed right of centre with the MC75 wide of the GR75. I deployed on my right with my Pelta on the far right and most of my squads more central. I had quite a bit of a gap between us meaning a Raddus drop on turn 2 was very unlikely and I would probably be able to block the best drop options with my squads on Turn 3 as well.

Turn 1

Our ships shuffled forwards and my first priority was to pin down his Shara and kill of his Tycho using my Tycho and Corran. I waited to see where he moved his squads before striking.

Turn 2

Unsurprisingly no Raddus drop being so far apart. I launched my attack on his squads with a speed boost from All Fighters Follow Me and was able to kill Tycho with a VCX and pin Shara down with my Tycho.

Turn 3

Still no Raddus drop as I’d managed to spread out my squads limiting his drop options. Profundity edged up towards the Station at the top centre of the map. I was now able to launch a full bomber assault on Profundity. I managed to get front and side shields down and hull to 4 with just a single Contain token remaining but FORGOT to activate Adar Tallon at the right time missing a free hit with Luke L. Tycho manages to survive Shara and moves out of flak range with 1 HP. Corran continues to whittle down Shara with Snipe. The Pelta and Yavaris stay central behind Quantum Storm which has boosted ahead while my comms net GR75 with Ahsoka and Tantive IV swing round on my right flank.

Turn 4

DROP TIME. Profundity drops Garel’s Honor below and ahead ready to plough into Yavaris. Aspiration deploys below Garel’s Honor right in the path of Yavaris and Tantive IV. Profundity activates first before getting killed revealing a Repair command which, together with a token and the station, manages to get him back up to 7 hull. I then activated my Pelta who sent Gold Squad in on Garel’s Honor before flying over to help pin Shara. With Tycho on 1HP I absolutely did NOT want Shara killing him and then flying over to mess up my bombing runs so Gold Squad on 3 hull took over sacrificial lamb pinning duty as I didn’t want to use Corran. Garel’s rammed Yavaris for a face-up that caused me to lose all my front shields L - so a 4 damage ram! Aspiration moved up directly into the path of Yavaris and Tantive IV but I was able to finish off Profundity with bombers, get more hits onto Garel’s Honor to then finish him off with a Yavaris ram back. Call it Karma! Tycho died and I was very glad I had Gold Squad there to keep Shara in place. Corran then proceeded to kill Shara in the squad phase

Turn 5

Despite the ram on the HH Yavaris was still in close range of Aspiration and was duly killed off. I’d been able to slow Tantive IV right down from 3 to 1 so he only got 3 blue hits which were ACC HIT. The Corona blinded the gunners so I was still able to Redirect the damage to my left side. With my AFFM speed boost I was able to swoop my bombers across the board, killing his GR75 along the way, ready to start pounding on Aspiration. I again FORGOT TO USE ADAR at the right time! But managed to speed up my Pelta to line up a medium range double arc on Aspiration and also lined up Tantive IV for a double arc – but would he survive?

Turn 6

Aspiration launches a front salvo on Tantive IV at close range getting ACC CRIT on blue and HIT BLANK HIT/CRIT re-rolling the blank as another blank! The Corona’s effect allows me to Redirect 2 hits which, together with the APT (crit was inconsequential) and the Ram left me with 2 hull. The corona saved me! But the blank re-rolling as a HIT/CRIT could have still killed me. Double arcs from my Pelta, Tantive IV and some bombing then proceeds to kill of Aspiration with a couple of bombing runs to spare.  

Post-match thoughts

BCC was used extensively during the game getting me an extra 9 damage through the match. Don’t leave home without it! Quantum Storm was helpful on my BCC+Toryn GR75 to get him into place quickly.

Solar Corona was the right choice for the Nav Objective over Superior Positions. The Corona saved my flagship. With small ships and bombers you can get victory points hitting ships in the rear but you generally want your bombers in front of your target ships for several reasons. The Corona can also mean the difference between life and death for a small ship in the face of a big ship - as it did in this game.

4 hours ago, Zamalekite said:

Finally got around to writing up a report. Also realised that my maths was a bit off above and the MOV is 319 not 329 ? @CaribbeanNinja

Thanks again to @drumtier for being such a good sport with my kids interrupting the game a couple of times!

Setup

I was a bit nervous going into the match as not one but two MC75s with their double contain tokens were pretty much going to negate Dadonna’s ability through most or all of the game. Using Profundity to drop a ship off and then drop Aspiration with Raddus using the Profundity dropship also meant a potentially wide spread for the drop that I wouldn’t be able to restrict with my squadron shield as well I normally do vs Raddus.

Drumtier chose to go first and selected my Solar Corona as the objective. With only 3 deployments vs my 9 he was going to heavily out-deployed anyway. Deploying second helped me a bit but it turned out through the game that the Corona effect was actually quite beneficial for me cancelling several dice. I deployed the station in the centre near my setup area so I could put some squads in cover. Most of the other obstacles were deployed centrally.

Deployment

Drumtier deployed right of centre with the MC75 wide of the GR75. I deployed on my right with my Pelta on the far right and most of my squads more central. I had quite a bit of a gap between us meaning a Raddus drop on turn 2 was very unlikely and I would probably be able to block the best drop options with my squads on Turn 3 as well.

Turn 1

Our ships shuffled forwards and my first priority was to pin down his Shara and kill of his Tycho using my Tycho and Corran. I waited to see where he moved his squads before striking.

Turn 2

Unsurprisingly no Raddus drop being so far apart. I launched my attack on his squads with a speed boost from All Fighters Follow Me and was able to kill Tycho with a VCX and pin Shara down with my Tycho.

Turn 3

Still no Raddus drop as I’d managed to spread out my squads limiting his drop options. Profundity edged up towards the Station at the top centre of the map. I was now able to launch a full bomber assault on Profundity. I managed to get front and side shields down and hull to 4 with just a single Contain token remaining but FORGOT to activate Adar Tallon at the right time missing a free hit with Luke L. Tycho manages to survive Shara and moves out of flak range with 1 HP. Corran continues to whittle down Shara with Snipe. The Pelta and Yavaris stay central behind Quantum Storm which has boosted ahead while my comms net GR75 with Ahsoka and Tantive IV swing round on my right flank.

Turn 4

DROP TIME. Profundity drops Garel’s Honor below and ahead ready to plough into Yavaris. Aspiration deploys below Garel’s Honor right in the path of Yavaris and Tantive IV. Profundity activates first before getting killed revealing a Repair command which, together with a token and the station, manages to get him back up to 7 hull. I then activated my Pelta who sent Gold Squad in on Garel’s Honor before flying over to help pin Shara. With Tycho on 1HP I absolutely did NOT want Shara killing him and then flying over to mess up my bombing runs so Gold Squad on 3 hull took over sacrificial lamb pinning duty as I didn’t want to use Corran. Garel’s rammed Yavaris for a face-up that caused me to lose all my front shields L - so a 4 damage ram! Aspiration moved up directly into the path of Yavaris and Tantive IV but I was able to finish off Profundity with bombers, get more hits onto Garel’s Honor to then finish him off with a Yavaris ram back. Call it Karma! Tycho died and I was very glad I had Gold Squad there to keep Shara in place. Corran then proceeded to kill Shara in the squad phase

Turn 5

Despite the ram on the HH Yavaris was still in close range of Aspiration and was duly killed off. I’d been able to slow Tantive IV right down from 3 to 1 so he only got 3 blue hits which were ACC HIT. The Corona blinded the gunners so I was still able to Redirect the damage to my left side. With my AFFM speed boost I was able to swoop my bombers across the board, killing his GR75 along the way, ready to start pounding on Aspiration. I again FORGOT TO USE ADAR at the right time! But managed to speed up my Pelta to line up a medium range double arc on Aspiration and also lined up Tantive IV for a double arc – but would he survive?

Turn 6

Aspiration launches a front salvo on Tantive IV at close range getting ACC CRIT on blue and HIT BLANK HIT/CRIT re-rolling the blank as another blank! The Corona’s effect allows me to Redirect 2 hits which, together with the APT (crit was inconsequential) and the Ram left me with 2 hull. The corona saved me! But the blank re-rolling as a HIT/CRIT could have still killed me. Double arcs from my Pelta, Tantive IV and some bombing then proceeds to kill of Aspiration with a couple of bombing runs to spare.  

Post-match thoughts

BCC was used extensively during the game getting me an extra 9 damage through the match. Don’t leave home without it! Quantum Storm was helpful on my BCC+Toryn GR75 to get him into place quickly.

Solar Corona was the right choice for the Nav Objective over Superior Positions. The Corona saved my flagship. With small ships and bombers you can get victory points hitting ships in the rear but you generally want your bombers in front of your target ships for several reasons. The Corona can also mean the difference between life and death for a small ship in the face of a big ship - as it did in this game.

Nice round up, thx!

21 hours ago, Bantha said:

@Order66 Beta vs. Bantha ended 7:4 in my favour, MoV 82. We played his targeting beacons. I killed one ISD and lost one Hammerhead. Thanks for the good game.

@geek19 I killed 1/4 and lost 1/6, his squads all alive.

A Big THX to Bantha! It was my first Game on Vassal and about my 5th with Armada and he had a lot of patience and endurance with me.

My Part was: "Shame!  Shame!  Shame!"  :D  

We were scheduled to play last week but Hedgehog had a last minute commitment come up which he needed to attend to (Curse you real life! We just want to play space ships!). 

I’ve hit up Hedgehog earlier in the week about rescheduling our game but he is yet to get back to me. I would assume we’ll play sometime over the weekend though.