CaribbeanNinja

2018 VASSAL Autumn Tourney - Completed!

Aresius vs @RikkiP ends 302-144.

I give first player to rikki and he choose my most wanted. I pick his yavaris and my leia gr75 transports. Rikki do the first blood, at turn 2, on a poor scout hh who go too near of his squadrons, the on turn 3 the other 2 hh torpedo avenge her and kill the yavaris (with a ramming from a zombified hh) then in turn 4, a furious mon karren, who see his friends die, kill 3 ships in one turn (pelta and 2 transport). The last 2 turn i lost another hh, and some shield and hull on mon karren and killing 2 squadrons in response.

Btw, thx for the game Rikki. 

Edited by Aresius

8 hours ago, geek19 said:

Who killed what, may I ask? FART minds want to know!

Mainly Dagger, Ten and Gold killed my two ISDs. His other fighters did like 10 hits in the course of the game. His Yavaris had two or three side shots and the pelta one front shot. The other damage (felt like around 40 hits) were dealt by the Bs and Gold.

Two big mistakes on my side gave me a really bad start. First was to give him 2nd player. Knowing that his objectives would be PS,FA and SP, I dont know why i did this. 2nd was that i deployed my big ships much to far from each other so he could kill them seperatly. My ISD 2 killed his Pelta and the Kuat both GRs (if i remember right) in the course of the game. Maybe my Motti ISD had the chance to pass his line and force his fighters to follow him, which had brought the said fighters in a position where there were out of range from yavaris, but the ISD could not manage to hit his Adar GR with a single accuracy within 13 dice rolls and so was blocked and died only seconds later.

Learned much about flying against the unholy Rieekan Aceholes, which i had only few experience with. The dice Gods were truely on his side, but i think i had lost anyway.  Maybe with a little bit more luck (and brain!!!) it wouldnt have been a 10-1, but who knows. Thx to @RapidReload, who was a great opponent.

And special thx to @CaribbeanNinja for setting this all up. Great fun!!!!

20 minutes ago, Zamalekite said:

That's a late start assuming you're talking European time :o

We miss each other. I had armageddon at work as huge project started. On weekend where I had time @TheCallum is busy. Next week I'm out because of military excercises so the only one day  day we are available for each other is 1-3.10.2018 :(

Edited by NairoD
Stupid phone autocorrect

10 hours ago, Aresius said:

Aresius vs @RikkiP ends 302-144.

I give first player to rikki and he choose my most wanted. I pick his yavaris and my leia gr75 transports. Rikki do the first blood, at turn 2, on a poor scout hh who go too near of his squadrons, the on turn 3 the other 2 hh torpedo avenge her and kill the yavaris (with a ramming from a zombified hh) then in turn 4, a furious mon karren, who see his friends die, kill 3 ships in one turn (pelta and 2 transport). The last 2 turn i lost another hh, and some shield and hull on mon karren and killing 2 squadrons in response.

Btw, thx for the game Rikki. 

I was watching the game, and it was really a great match.

The furious "Bail(ed)" Mon Karren in the turn 4 was really insane. I always thought that X17 and Mon Karren is a bit overkill. But against some ships it is a nice bonus.

1 hour ago, Tokra said:

I was watching the game, and it was really a great match.

The furious "Bail(ed)" Mon Karren in the turn 4 was really insane. I always thought that X17 and Mon Karren is a bit overkill. But against some ships it is a nice bonus.

It was brutal, will teach me to not pay attention to what turn bail is happening lol. i setup ready for the kill on the hammer head and pound the liberty into the ground :(.

5 hours ago, NairoD said:

We miss each other. I had armageddon at work as huge project started. On weekend where I had time @TheCallum is busy. Next week I'm out because of military excercises so the only one day  day we are available for each other is 1-3.10.2018 :(

Man that's some dedication to the cause!

On 9/18/2018 at 10:58 PM, Tokra said:

The Match from @Darth Veggie and me is over.
It was a **** of a match, and really great.

We were playing my Precision Strike.
I lost all (400 Points) and Veggie got 3 Victory Tokens.
On the counter i could kill the MC75, Quantum Storm, Jaina's Light and the MC30. My squadrons generated 9 victory Tokens. I have to say only 9 Tokens, it could have been way more. But Luke failed again (at least when it was important). Only Raddus and the Bright Hope were left alive. 

So the match ended 445 to 429 in favor for Darth Veggie (with a MOV of 16).

Here is the Log from the match.

Thanks for sharing the log! 

A few questions from me as someone new to Vassal:

• When you moved squads did you clone the squad before moving the clone and then deleting the original? I can see why that's sensible to do, is that standard practice in Vassal or just what you do?
  • I noticed that you would notch the maneuver tool but Darth Veggie didn't - does it matter if you do or don't?
  • When I move a ship along the maneuver tool it doesn't always align properly along each notch so I will drag the ship at the end the right position against the notch on the maneuver tool. Is that the right thing to do if the movement along the tool doesn't work properly? / is there a way to ensure it always does move along the tool properly?

Thanks!

cc @CaribbeanNinja @Green Knight :)

26 minutes ago, Zamalekite said:

Thanks for sharing the log! 

A few questions from me as someone new to Vassal:

• When you moved squads did you clone the squad before moving the clone and then deleting the original? I can see why that's sensible to do, is that standard practice in Vassal or just what you do?
  • I noticed that you would notch the maneuver tool but Darth Veggie didn't - does it matter if you do or don't?
  • When I move a ship along the maneuver tool it doesn't always align properly along each notch so I will drag the ship at the end the right position against the notch on the maneuver tool. Is that the right thing to do if the movement along the tool doesn't work properly? / is there a way to ensure it always does move along the tool properly?

Thanks!

cc @CaribbeanNinja @Green Knight :)

I just copy the squadrons most of the time. This way you can see, when placing the squadron while the only one is still in the old place, if moved it within the correct range. It is for the opponent not possible to tell if you moved them in a legal position, if you just move the squadron without a copy.
Basically it is something i do, to prove a correct move. But it is not really the norm. But it is rather fast done. Ctrl+c for copy, shift+space to turn off the range of the new squadron, move it and ctrl+d to delete the old one.

Notching the tool does not change anything. It is just a visual indicator how the ship will move. But if you move it, it does not matter where the tool is. The ship will move.
You can test this really easy. Just place a maneuver tool and set it the way you want. After this remove it. And now just do a move (alt+1, alt+2). You will see that the ship will move the way you set the tool And even when it is not on the table, the ship will do the righ move. So it does really not matter where the tool is.
You can even place the tool on ship 1 and do the move with ship 2. It will do the move in the way the tool is set. Not where the tool is.

This count as well for the 3rd point. You do not need to adjust the ship after the moves. This is way to much work. Just accept the moves. But you have to watch out to do the right side move. Often these strange moves happen when you mess up left and right side moves. As i said, the ship is moving as the tool is set. If you place the tool on the left side, but are doing a move like a right side, the ship will move not so well fitting to the tool. It loot similar, but is way to far off.

@Zamalekite

As Tokra said, copying squads is not required (or normally done.)  I totally see why Tokra does it.  Those that do are generally pretty fast and accurate with it.  (I tend to get the range bands messed up and will be flipping them on and off too much with 134 points of squads.)

I generally notch the man tool just as you would IRL.  To me it indicates I'm done fiddling and am about to move.  This is really just a habit, and when I'm lazy or breezing through a game, I don't.  This is not required, as Tokra pointed out, the ship ends up in the correct location anyhow.

Your final point is an important one.  You shouldn't really be moving the ships manually after deployment (until they blow up :) ).  The man tool plots the movements.  (You might be using the incorrect shortcuts? When moving along the left man tool, CTRL+1, CTRL+2, CTRL+3, CTRL+4.  When using the man tool on the right, ALT+1, ALT+2, ALT+3, ALT+4) ALso, if the man tool has been overextended at any segment, you'll need to reset it to get a correct movement.

2 hours ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

@Zamalekite

Your final point is an important one.  You shouldn't really be moving the ships manually after deployment (until they blow up :) ).  The man tool plots the movements.  (You might be using the incorrect shortcuts? When moving along the left man tool, CTRL+1, CTRL+2, CTRL+3, CTRL+4.  When using the man tool on the right, ALT+1, ALT+2, ALT+3, ALT+4) ALso, if the man tool has been overextended at any segment, you'll need to reset it to get a correct movement.

Thank you both very much for taking the time to explain! 

You're absolutely right Ninja, that's what I got wrong a couple of times, and @drumtier too as we're both new to Vassal. Noted! 

I think I will do the squad copy move technique. It makes sense and is good for the opponent to see too.

Edited by Zamalekite

2 hours ago, Zamalekite said:

Thank you both very much for taking the time to explain! 

You're absolutely right Ninja, that's what I got wrong a couple of times, and @drumtier too as we're both new to Vassal. Noted! 

I think I will do the squad copy move technique. It makes sense and is good for the opponent to see too.

Also: pixels.

When u move in Armada (auto-move), it moves piece X-Y pixels, and possibly rotates. Not always the pixel count "fit" perfectly, nor the rotation. But ships moves MUCH MORE ACCURATELY than TT. TT has slack in tool and inaccurate placement. This is 60 pixels to an inch... :D

@all: guys, part of an online tournament's fun is that people all around the globe can be spectators and enjoy these gripping matches thanks to the option to create logfiles. Sadly, nearly no logfiles of the games played up to now have been provided.

As I repeatedly preach, and keep this in mind, not providing logfiles is the number one reason on this planet for having bad luck with the vassal dice engine!

Edited by Darth Veggie