shootsahoyt

Are Fang Fighter's wings supposed to move?

I just watched a BOLS video where they couldn't get the wings to move, but in the comments, they said the wings eventually started moving.  I felt I was putting pretty good pressure on all 3 of them.  I'm scared I'm going to break them. 

I acquired a v2.0 Fang Fighter and after unboxing (worst package ever for retaining the ship clam shell), I became concerned when the expected 'posable' wings would not move. I then Internet searched to confirm the wings were suppose to be posable, and found this thread. I carefully anchored the ship's stem and began to apply slight pressure to one wing, and then the other. When that was unsuccessful, I applied increasing pressure until I was concerned I would break the model, but the wings eventually moved. I carefully rotated the wings multiple times, they did move, but remained stiff; I presume with additional rotations, they will become easier to move.

From other threads, the problem seems to usually be some stray glue in the wrong place.

Some people have suggested putting them in the fridge to make the glue brittle, or putting them on a warm windowsill to make it softer, and then trying.

On 12/2/2018 at 1:50 PM, lbotner said:

I acquired a v2.0 Fang Fighter and after unboxing (worst package ever for retaining the ship clam shell), I became concerned when the expected 'posable' wings would not move. I then Internet searched to confirm the wings were suppose to be posable, and found this thread. I carefully anchored the ship's stem and began to apply slight pressure to one wing, and then the other. When that was unsuccessful, I applied increasing pressure until I was concerned I would break the model, but the wings eventually moved. I carefully rotated the wings multiple times, they did move, but remained stiff; I presume with additional rotations, they will become easier to move.

From other threads, the problem seems to usually be some stray glue in the wrong place.

Some people have suggested putting them in the fridge to make the glue brittle, or putting them on a warm windowsill to make it softer, and then trying.

On my Fang Fighter, I found that is was not glue that kept the wings from turning but Paint.The paint job on the Fang Fighter covers the seam between the main body and the wings (which you can see if you look closely) and prevents the wings from moving. I took an Exacto knife to the seam (though any sturdy, thin blade will do) and cut through the paint all the way around, but especially on the top and the bottom. Once the paint was no longer locking it in place, the wings moved freely.

That being said, the moving wings on the Fang Fighter are kinda... meh. I'm glad I did it once, but I'm not going to bother with freeing the wings on any new Fangs that I pick up. Now, un-gumming the Saw's X-Wing on the other hand.... :)

I don't think any of the promotional material for it indicated that they would move and that's probably because they realized the glue/paint issue was going to cause a lot of problems. It's almost an Easter egg for those of us willing to risk damage to the model (I actually broke the peg off of mine when first trying).

I did both the freezer and warm water tricks but to no avail. I really had to dig in with an exacto knife but I can't suggest doing that, as I also scratched up some of the paint to the sides (not being careful or patient is really the issue, I suppose). I could visibly see the paint going across the gaps between chassis and wing strut, and between wing strut and engine.

But now I've got an issue that it doesn't look like the engines at the back line up with the cockpit and I really don't know how to fix that one. 

Ours was completely immoblie. I used the sharp knife trick, worked a charm and avoided any visible damage. Wings move nicely now, just stiff enough to stay where you put them. And my boy likes to angle them every time we turn...

Really love the model.