Sign in to follow this  
samuraislyr

Attack Dice from 1st edition differences

This might be a dumb question, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it. 

I got my core set of the 2nd edition and I was checking the dice from my 1st edition. The defense die have the same faces, but the attack die while they have the exact same symbols, they are placed slightly differently on the dice. 

I believe statistically that doesn't make a difference? 

Will organized play require only the 2nd edition dice? 

Sorry if dumb, just trying to organize new and old, wondering if I can throw in all the dice or if there might be a problem later on down the road if I did so. 

2 minutes ago, samuraislyr said:

This might be a dumb question, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it. 

I got my core set of the 2nd edition and I was checking the dice from my 1st edition. The defense die have the same faces, but the attack die while they have the exact same symbols, they are placed slightly differently on the dice. 

I believe statistically that doesn't make a difference? 

Will organized play require only the 2nd edition dice? 

Sorry if dumb, just trying to organize new and old, wondering if I can throw in all the dice or if there might be a problem later on down the road if I did so. 

Every print-run of dice has minor variations, you’re fine.

I am certain that the 1st edition dice will be allowed.  If you examine original core dice, and TFA core dice, they are slightly different as well. (TFA dice symbols are cut more sharp than the original core dice).

Don't worry, all official FFG dice will be accepted.

1 hour ago, samuraislyr said:

attack die while they have the exact same symbols, they are placed slightly differently on the dice

Interesting. Have to take a closer look at mine when I get home. While I agree that there should be no issue with tournament legality, I find it interesting because my 2nd ed core set dice roll like absolute crap compared with all my other dice. in my first game, I blanked out on four dice twice in a row. Never have completely blanked out before. yes, its a tiny tiny sample, but it was weird. And my buddy at the next table had the same thing happen.

Edited by PanchoX1

5 hours ago, spacebug said:

The Extra Dice sets that were out before 2.0 were different to the original core set dice as well.  The stars on hits are pointy, whereas the core set ones are blunt.

Ah, so that's what those are that I've seen. I've played with someone who had pointy-tipped hits on only a few of his dice and wondered if they were third-party dice. Now I know what they are. Between my two core sets and one TFA set, I never needed the dice expansion. 

Edited by EYEL1NER

I just switched out my pointy dice. They ran out of luck and were rolling below average. My old non-pointy dice have aged the proper amount of time and are now rolling good. Because of X-wing I now believe in things like magic and cursed dice. Funny how that happens.

On 9/14/2018 at 9:24 PM, samuraislyr said:

What do you mean?  I noticed that some of my dice are slightly different in the sense that some icons are pointy while the same icons on another set are blunt, but that's about it.  My 1.0 dice and my TFA dice and my 2.0 dice all have the same symbols on the same sides/faces. 

Let me be clear: not only do they have the same number of icons, these icons are on the same locations on all dice.  Are you saying yours are different?

20 hours ago, Games'n'Geeks said:

What do you mean?  I noticed that some of my dice are slightly different in the sense that some icons are pointy while the same icons on another set are blunt, but that's about it.  My 1.0 dice and my TFA dice and my 2.0 dice all have the same symbols on the same sides/faces. 

Let me be clear: not only do they have the same number of icons, these icons are on the same locations on all dice.  Are you saying yours are different?

Yea, mine our. I don't have them in front of me, but I believe the 2nd edition attack dice had hit, hit, eye. 

My 1st edition dice were hit, eye, hit. 

Might be other way around. I'll try and edit this when I get home. 

The defense die were exactly the same. 

On 9/17/2018 at 6:52 PM, samuraislyr said:

Yea, mine our. I don't have them in front of me, but I believe the 2nd edition attack dice had hit, hit, eye. 

My 1st edition dice were hit, eye, hit. 

Might be other way around. I'll try and edit this when I get home. 

The defense die were exactly the same. 

Might just be the way you held the dice?  When I was comparing my dice (two sets of the original dice, one set from the TFA box set, and one set from 2.0), I had to orient them properly first to do a comparison and all dice are the same.  There were a few instances where I thought a few dice were different but it was just because I wasn't orienting one die correctly in reference to the "control" die.