Sign in to follow this  
Icelom

Does collection do anything?

I can not seem to find any settings to limit my builder to only things I inputted as my collection?

Does that setting exist or is the collection thing literally meaningless currently.

Even if it did work... i cant select say how many ghosts I own I don't own the 4 my kits would suggest.

Every time i try and do anything with the app i get more and more disappointed.

It doesn't seem so, which means it's worthless as a feature. I hate building squads and going through ships I don't have. Though, I don't think it shows me cards to select that I don't own.

I can say in other FFG games (Imperial Assault, Mansions of Madness), the "collection" tab will only show components during your game that you own. 

I hate to say it but in the current state the app is useless.

It has to track collections and filter out not owned cards. Otherwise to build a squad I need to go through my all physical cards to ensure I am not selecting cards I don't have. If I'm doing it already, why would I need the app? Only to calculate costs, so I need to actually redo the whole process on the app.

The squad building experience in 2.0 is horrible.

I agree that it is ridiculous this feature doesn't work. Those of us that purchased conversion kits need to then be able to input which plastic v.1 ships we own, so that ships we don't physically possess are not listed and and any unusable cards from the conversion kits are also not listed. I used a third party app for v.1 that was light years ahead of this :(

16 hours ago, FlyingToaster said:

Yep, it seems to be another broken feature. And, as you say, it also needs a way to limit what you have from the conversion kits.

Ok, I didn’t think I could be the only one with this problem.  Pretty useless.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:06 PM, Dain Ironfoot said:

Though, I don't think it shows me cards to select that I don't own.

I do not have a Scum Falcon entered and I see "Composure" in my Elite Talent lists. If I select it it doesn't indicate I don't have it or then what expansion it comes in. The collection feature isn't very helpful.

It should really assist you in only building lists that you have all the cards and ship tokens for. For example with one conversion kit you can not have all combinations of ARC-170 pilots. It is Norra or Garven. Shara or Ibtisam. But the list builder allows Norra and Garven without indicating the token allocation issue. 

On 9/16/2018 at 6:22 AM, FlyingToaster said:

Yep, it seems to be another broken feature. And, as you say, it also needs a way to limit what you have from the conversion kits.

I'm not sure I would call it broken.  "Incomplete" or "too limited", definitely.  But not broken.  Well, unless there is some format I'm not seeing that advertises that it limits you to your collection.

56 minutes ago, papy72 said:

I'm not sure I would call it broken.  "Incomplete" or "too limited", definitely.  But not broken.  Well, unless there is some format I'm not seeing that advertises that it limits you to your collection.

The default mode of game play is limited to your collection. 100% of official organized play will require you to own everything on your list. Not limiting it to your collection (by allowing proxies) is the exception and not the rule.

1 hour ago, papy72 said:

All formats limit you to your collection.....

35 minutes ago, McTavish said:

The default mode of game play is limited to your collection. 100% of official organized play will require you to own everything on your list. Not limiting it to your collection (by allowing proxies) is the exception and not the rule.

Tournament / Organised play is not the default mode of game play.  I would be very surprised if anyone showed up at a casual x-wing night anywhere and get grief for having a printout or proxy cards.

Organized play requires physical cards, yes.  And the builder's collection section and squad building rules should allow you to enforce that.  So I stand by my original thought: the collection interface is incomplete and/or too limited.

Just now, papy72 said:

I don't own a single Scum ship, and yet I can build Scum squads.

Hence why having the option to toggle that on and off should be included.

For official play, you need to limit to your collection. Every other squad builder I have ever used has the option to turn on and off at will.

Because all organized play (ffg play) requires you to have everything the option should be in the ffg app. So it is 100% incomplete. I guess you are right its not broken as that would mean it had the option and it did not work. But the app itself has many issues and missing features and we as players should be pushing ffg to add/fix not apologizing for them for the sad excuse of a product we were sold.

6 minutes ago, Icelom said:

Hence why having the option to toggle that on and off should be included.

For official play, you need to limit to your collection. Every other squad builder I have ever used has the option to turn on and off at will.

Because all organized play (ffg play) requires you to have everything the option should be in the ffg app. So it is 100% incomplete. I guess you are right its not broken as that would mean it had the option and it did not work. But the app itself has many issues and missing features and we as players should be pushing ffg to add/fix not apologizing for them for the sad excuse of a product we were sold.

I completely agree, and I'm definitely not apologizing for FFG's lackluster squad builder.  I actually suggested a few collections related features here last Friday.

49 minutes ago, papy72 said:

Tournament / Organised play is not the default mode of game play.  I would be very surprised if anyone showed up at a casual x-wing night anywhere and get grief for having a printout or proxy cards.

That was two different statements. Rules as written is the default mode of play. Organized play is another common mode.

My point was that calling it merely "incomplete" is a bit disingenuous. The whole point of having a collection manager in the squad builder is to use that information while building squads. Their failure to utilize the collection data makes the collection manager a failure. 

1 hour ago, papy72 said:

I don't own a single Scum ship, and yet I can build Scum squads.

There should be ways to accommodate wanting to build with things not in your collection. But it should also make accommodation for wanting to build only within the confines of your collection. The in and not in your collection aspect could also be a filter in searching the card database (which should tell you what expansions cards are available in.) Lists containing cards not in your collection could be noted when browsing your saved squads. 

20 minutes ago, McTavish said:

That was two different statements. Rules as written is the default mode of play. Organized play is another common mode.

My point was that calling it merely "incomplete" is a bit disingenuous. The whole point of having a collection manager in the squad builder is to use that information while building squads. Their failure to utilize the collection data makes the collection manager a failure. 

Nah, the purpose of the collection manager is so that we all tell FFG what we own so they can:

(a) use those analytics to target specific players with ads and sales!

(b) use those analytics to determine what kind of products to build in the future!

I'd like to say this message was sarcasm, but we are all logging our collections on an FFG server, and those collections do nothing for us right now, but there must be a reason they are there.

2 minutes ago, SuperMarino said:

I'd like to say this message was sarcasm, but we are all logging our collections on an FFG server, and those collections do nothing for us right now, but there must be a reason they are there.

Hahaha, I would be very happy if FFG was using the data intelligently like that. Based on the IA app and others I would be surprised if they have thought of that much less executed on it to their benefit.

My assumption is that the "collection manager" was a bullet point on the design doc but it was never fleshed out into something useful. Or the app dev team couldn't or didn't want to figure out how to use the data in the builder. 

11 minutes ago, SuperMarino said:

Nah, the purpose of the collection manager is so that we all tell FFG what we own so they can:

(a) use those analytics to target specific players with ads and sales!

(b) use those analytics to determine what kind of products to build in the future!

I thought analytical data was one of the main points of making squad-building an online thing. That is one of the reasons I'm so disappointed in the squad-builder. The marketing potential of this thing for FFG is huge. The potential here for really seeing and analyzing how we're purchasing and playing the game is enormous. That the collection tracking doesn't tie in with squads is a big failure for them as well as the end-users. Same goes for sharing squads and tracking wins and such. 

I can't believe I just made an argument for collecting data on me. ?‍♂️

1 minute ago, SuperMarino said:

Maybe FFG is selling giving the data to Disney.  So now Disney knows the next Star Wars anthology movie they need to make is TIE Fighter: The Legend of "Mauler" Mithel

I hope they'll then get a big lesson when I don't add Resistance and First Order conversion kits or expansions to my collection. 

13 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I thought analytical data was one of the main points of making squad-building an online thing. That is one of the reasons I'm so disappointed in the squad-builder. The marketing potential of this thing for FFG is huge. The potential here for really seeing and analyzing how we're purchasing and playing the game is enormous. That the collection tracking doesn't tie in with squads is a big failure for them as well as the end-users. Same goes for sharing squads and tracking wins and such. 

I can't believe I just made an argument for collecting data on me. ?‍♂️

A fully developed and integrated collection tracking system could really take organised play to the next level.  Imagine players being able to search and sign up for a tournament through their app, then pick the squad they are taking with it.  TO's could use the app (or maybe AN app) to run the tournaments, do pairings, determine cut's, etc.  On the back side FFG could track pretty much anything they wanted and use it however they see fit.

18 minutes ago, papy72 said:

A fully developed and integrated collection tracking system could really take organised play to the next level.  Imagine players being able to search and sign up for a tournament through their app, then pick the squad they are taking with it.  TO's could use the app (or maybe AN app) to run the tournaments, do pairings, determine cut's, etc.  On the back side FFG could track pretty much anything they wanted and use it however they see fit.

MlYzft7.gif?1

On 9/13/2018 at 6:40 PM, Icelom said:

I can not seem to find any settings to limit my builder to only things I inputted as my collection?

Does that setting exist or is the collection thing literally meaningless currently.

Even if it did work... i cant select say how many ghosts I own I don't own the 4 my kits would suggest.

Every time i try and do anything with the app i get more and more disappointed.

This is the biggest problem I’m running into so far. With the game being so new it’s hard to keep in my head what cards I have and which ones I don’t, let alone the number of copies I have of each card.

I’m not as worried about the ship count, but it would certainly be nice too.