Sign in to follow this  
shotbyscott

It's only online.... No off line mode

I get that you might want the install size to be low, and that download-on-demand might be a good way to mitigate install size...

... but FFS, they didn't think to KEEP the data on the phone once downloaded? It's mind boggling how such a stupid decision could be made for such a simple application.

I worked in mobile game development for years, and I just feel sick to my stomach when I think about what sort of awful development environment it must take to turn out an application of such incredibly poor quality that the Play Store is automatically filtering it out of searches.

Absolutely disgraceful. There's some people to blame, but I can bet you it isn't the QA team or the developers themselves; it's arrogant and thoughtless executive decisions that lead to rubbish as stunning as this.

Came here just to complain about this. It must have been a design decision to allow for easy updating, but it makes no sense. Let me download everything as an update on wifi (modern phones have plenty of storage space). My favourite place to build lists is on the metro (subway), and with this list builder, I can't do that.

Have any of you guys ever developed an app before? For something like the points system, this makes sense. Would you rather have to hit the download button in the app store every few weeks and eventually have your phone's storage full because of all the patches stacked on-top of each other? They never promised anything about the app. Be happy it even exists because at least if it is real it can be repaired. Let's remember that this is a table-top gaming company, this is probably the first time that they have developed an app. No one ever has a seamless release for something they are trying that is new. I'm not sure what incredible app you're looking for, but what we got is miles ahead of what I was expecting.

10 minutes ago, Klink135 said:

Have any of you guys ever developed an app before? For something like the points system, this makes sense. Would you rather have to hit the download button in the app store every few weeks and eventually have your phone's storage full because of all the patches stacked on-top of each other? They never promised anything about the app. Be happy it even exists because at least if it is real it can be repaired. Let's remember that this is a table-top gaming company, this is probably the first time that they have developed an app. No one ever has a seamless release for something they are trying that is new. I'm not sure what incredible app you're looking for, but what we got is miles ahead of what I was expecting.

FFG said the updated would not be very frequent (I expect quarterly), so perma-online does not make sense, this is not the stock exchange.

But even so, why not cache the data locally and just replace it when the server-side is newer? Why not keep all the graphic assets locally?

BTW. the app is not really an app - it's basically a browser window that displays a mobile website.

First, FFG said that they wouldn't update the points very frequently, I can guarantee they aren't going to just leave bugs in there until a ship needs balancing. Hence 1.0.1.

Second, it has a cache, check your phone's storage settings. (Should have checked this before the first response, oh well.) Which means that it probably will get a patch to allow for offline mode. The main use for the always online is because it updates your account information to make sure that you can access your squads under the same account across all platforms. 

Edited by Klink135
Missed a detail.

2 hours ago, Klink135 said:

Have any of you guys ever developed an app before? 

Let's remember that this is a table-top gaming company, this is probably the first time that they have developed an app. 

Except, you know, Star Wars dice.

And Imperial Assault companion app.

And others.

This isn’t their first go around with digital development.

Regarding the other point, as a matter of fact I have written applications. The “no offline mode” is a huge fail on their part, because I could just use the web UI if I needed to be online. Virtually every modern application/webapp/app uses caching to enhance performance and even offer some offline functionality. It’s not going to “fill up your storage” because it jettisons the old cache when it caches new content.

I will likely just stick to the web UI so far, since it’s really no different. No point in an app when it’s a glorified bookmark.

6 hours ago, Klink135 said:

They have their own software development company. 

https://www.fantasyflightinteractive.com

7 hours ago, Klink135 said:

There is such a thing as server push that allows servers to send data to the client without it needing to request it. And their forums already have some form of implementation of this (notifications of new posts)

The resolution on a mobile platform is horrible also.  Of course it's only a browser window.  Considering that "The App" was touted as the one thing that make the game versatile, you would think they would have at least put some effort into it.  This app is at best an after thought.  Solo fan developers have done better with less time.

I'd like to add my whinge, If it can't be used 'Off Line' then its pretty useless to me. Its not often I'll criticize FFG, well never actually, but I feel they dropped the ball on this one

On 9/13/2018 at 4:39 PM, shotbyscott said:

It chews up bandwidth reloading images every time. No local cashe or usability with no internet. You can't sit in the plane train or bus and make lists as all thus buggy APP does is access some online square builder. 

I hate that it doesn’t work offline.