Kandiak

FFG I'm a staunch defender when people say you're only in it for the $$

It's not really better than the web page though. Largely same bugs plus scraps of formatting remaining, like Firespray showing as <italic>Firespray</italic>. 

I also think they made some bad calls on the interface, but that's subjective. 

All in all I hope the app is not mandatory. 

It's day 1, but the community has made far better squad builders before the official one came out and the web app still hasn't had the bugs that were filed addressed. So I'm calm, but I can still say that they botched the launch putting out sub par software which was supposed to underpin the whole strategy.

Edited by Kandiak

22 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

It’s day 1. Settle down lol.

Flawless might be unattainable but ballpark flawless is a valid hope and functional is a demand. This launch has failed on more than the app. Day 1 is a weak argument when this is an established company that is rereleasing a game they already made. Yes it was overhauled but at least 50% of this process was done from go. Sorry but this launch is bad even by ffg standards. These failures are forgivable to ffg loyalists but these kinds of things lose you customers, they also discourage potential buyers. It really is fair at this point to expect a certain level of quality and it just isn’t there. Who knows ultimately who’s to shoulder this blaim but the ball has officially been dropped. The question now is can ffg recover and score.

17 minutes ago, Danomight said:

It's a buggy mess unfortunately but the look and feel are good so it should be usable once they fix it.

Its problems are much deeper than the broken database shared with the webpage. It stores no data, which results in annoying load times every time you click anything, and it is unusable offline. You can't build a squad at home and take to the gaming pub basement because you can't even see your squad without internet connection.

5 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

Flawless might be unattainable but ballpark flawless is a valid hope and functional is a demand. This launch has failed on more than the app. Day 1 is a weak argument when this is an established company that is rereleasing a game they already made. Yes it was overhauled but at least 50% of this process was done from go. Sorry but this launch is bad even by ffg standards. These failures are forgivable to ffg loyalists but these kinds of things lose you customers, they also discourage potential buyers. It really is fair at this point to expect a certain level of quality and it just isn’t there. Who knows ultimately who’s to shoulder this blaim but the ball has officially been dropped. The question now is can ffg recover and score.

?

If FFG loses customers over this then those players need to get some perspective. I work on and use projects with budgets several orders of magnitude larger than FFG and none of us are ever surprised by a bid process leading to a product like this at launch. If you want a great product on day 1 you have to pay for it in beta testing and QA. All of that costs real money. FFG is not that big.

4 minutes ago, eMeM said:

Its problems are much deeper than the broken database shared with the webpage. It stores no data, which results in annoying load times every time you click anything, and it is unusable offline. You can't build a squad at home and take to the gaming pub basement because you can't even see your squad without internet connection.

You can screenshot it though, right? That’s what I’ve always done with all my builders. I’ve never used a live builder to bring a list, lol. What if someone changes it while they’re looking over your squad.

And it's not like we're find bugs in exotic far reaches of the app. It's the basic blocking and tackling that is simply borked.

Maybe I expect more than I should because I build software on the web, but they did buy a dev team last year so I expect better.

Again they crushed 2.0 as a game, but they critically missed and injured themselves on the software and I'm just sharing my experience here so that the managers of the community can pass it on.

5 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

You can screenshot it though, right? That’s what I’ve always done with all my builders. I’ve never used a live builder to bring a list, lol. What if someone changes it while they’re looking over your squad.

The apps I used have data stored on the device and not download it every time I click a button so unless I updated it nothing could change. 

Screenshots won't cut it if I want to look at the card or show it to my opponent, unless I take two dozen screenshots for every list. 

Edited by eMeM

If the bugs were semi-obscure issues that only happen when you enter a specific combination of pilots and upgrades I could understand giving FFG a bit of leeway. But right now we have all variable-point upgrades coming up as 0 points instead and the UI is a mess, requiring too much scrolling and being pretty unintuitive. At the moment it looks like they didn't even do the barest minimum of testing.

I think it might also be wise of them to make an announcement about the app. Is the one we can currently download from the Play store the app, or just a browser plug-in sort of thing? If it's the actual app they really, really need to take a step back and reconsider how they're delivering it. Requiring a connection is a terrible idea, especially when so many of the bigger events I've been to at conventions have such bad internet.

8 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

?

If FFG loses customers over this then those players need to get some perspective. I work on and use projects with budgets several orders of magnitude larger than FFG and none of us are ever surprised by a bid process leading to a product like this at launch. If you want a great product on day 1 you have to pay for it in beta testing and QA. All of that costs real money. FFG is not that big.

Ok granted but what are these projects consisting of? If you’re talking multibillion dollar deals then yeah it’s gonna take quite the screw up to scrap that deal. This is a much smaller market with customers who can easily go somewhere else to get something none of us need. Ffg can and will lose money with this if they don’t fix things quickly (not talking about just the app either but the whole process including logistics)

21 minutes ago, eMeM said:

The apps I used have data stored on the device and not download it every time I click a button so unless I updated it nothing could change. 

Screenshots won't cut it if I want to look at the card or show it to my opponent, unless I take two dozen screenshots for every list. 

Wouldn’t you just...show them the card if you’re showing it to your opponent?

16 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

Ok granted but what are these projects consisting of? If you’re talking multibillion dollar deals then yeah it’s gonna take quite the screw up to scrap that deal. This is a much smaller market with customers who can easily go somewhere else to get something none of us need. Ffg can and will lose money with this if they don’t fix things quickly (not talking about just the app either but the whole process including logistics)

Which company do you imagine they will go to to play X-wing?

It's pretty obvious to me that none of the game designers for x-wing ever tried creating squads with the app or web builder.  If each game dev tried building 2 or 3 squads they would very quickly have found the bugs that we all are seeing, and maybe been able to get the worst of them ironed out before today.

7 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Wouldn’t you just...show them the card if you’re showing it to your opponent?

Unless I'm on a big tournament I'm not carrying the cards around. I take pilot cards to track damage and **** that has to be flipped from time to time, but that's it.

Edited by eMeM

46 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. At this point, there are issues with nearly 100% of FFG's X-Wing products at release. 2.0 needed an errata literally months before its release with Saw's Renegades. Not to mention that Caption Rex has been known about since the first unboxing video. They put out good products, but they always have a lot of careless errors; like an essay that's written once, but never proofread.