Admiral Deathrain

Squad Builder: Feature wishlist

Random Squadron Option.

I've been using the squad builder at https://xwing-builder.co.uk/build for years even though it's a bit buggy. What I love about that site is there is an option to create random squadrons from your saved collection of ships. You can set a point value and it adds modifications and you can just keep hitting the button until you run across something interesting. I've discovered so many weird combinations of things I would never have though to try and it keeps the game interesting for me to try an make what it gave me work.

8 hours ago, DarthHenryAllen said:

Right now, I can see I have 4-LOM on board but when I hover over him, the tool tip just shows '4-LOM', which I already know. I'd really like it to show me the card or bring up the rules text so I can figure out what he does. There doesn't appear to be a way to review what you're chosen upgrades do without clicking on them to look at them in the 'choose upgrade' screen. Mercifully, the currently chosen upgrade is shown at the top of the list when you go to that screen, however it would be so much better if you could just hover over (quick-press on mobile) any upgrade on your ship to see what it does.

Seconded. Having to click in and out every time I need to review the text of an upgrade card is troubling.

Simply put, there needs to be a "quick" version of this "alpha" version. Sure, this looks pretty, but I do not want to have a new screen pop up every time I need to add an upgrade. Give me a cut and dry version with a drop down that gives me a card preview when I hover over its name in the drop down, not a new page listing all available upgrades.

I'd like to able to access custom variants in the app. Currently only accessible on the web app.

I'd like to be able to EDIT custom variants after I've saved them.

When I create a custom variant, and limit the pool of ships, it makes ALL of those ships available to ALL players, instead of having players choose a faction from within that custom variant.

13 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

I'm happy we have the official squadbuilder, even if there are some clear bugs and errors as of now on release day.

But there are some design choices that are missing, and I'd like to suggest some features:

General features:

• Some sort of toolbar next to the language choice
    • Let me jump from saved squads to collection to new squad without going through the main page
    • Let me go to the main page with something besides the logo, as it's not intuitive

Squad Building:

• A quickbuild option: "New List"
    • Currently I have to go through the mainpage, select squad building, select the mode, select the faction, and then I can start. Comparatively, other builders let me open a new squad and then I select faction and mode. So a simple "new squad" at the top in the -currently missing - toolbar would be enough.
  • Let me search for upgrades when selecting an upgrade
    • I have to scroll through all options. Currently that is sufficient because there are not too many cards to choose from. But even so, I would prefer the option to type the card name and it searches immediately.
  • Let me cancel an upgrade withouth changing pages.
    • A simple red cross next to the name would be enough
  • Let me duplicate a pilot
    • I do not want to choose the same upgrades for every X-wing if they will all get the same things.
  • Let me reorder the pilots
    • This matters to some people, we prefer to order them by initiative, or cost, or whatever. But it is not always clear from the beginning how to sort them.
  • Immediate stats changes (by @Admiral Deathrain)
    • Addition of the Moldy Crow title? Show me the arc. Addition of a hull upgrade? Show me the new hull value
  • Dials! (by @Admiral Deathrain)
  • Remaining points (by @BDrafty)
    • Currently we only get the total points -  and we don't even have the information while selecting an upgrade
  • Sort upgrades by points!

Management of Saved Squads

• Let me group squads
    • Especially with all these game modes: maybe I want to keep track of the dates, the tournament. Maybe I just want to save some squads even if I've never played them so far. There are plenty of reasons why I'd want to group them or sort them into folders.
  • Let me order the squads
    • Alphabetically, by faction, manually.
  • Let me track Win/Loss/Draw
    • I would like to keep all my info in your app because your app will always be what I use. So please, let be enter how many games I won, lost or had a draw

What other suggestions do you guys have?

I would love to see a "copy ship" feature for those "Crack Dealers" that seem to be prevalent in 2.0.

The icon I thought to be a copy ship button was just to enlarge the card.

Move the upgrade card cost to a fixed position in some corner instead of in parentheses after the name. Faster to find by glance.

Sort by cost, or add a "sort by" button so everyone can sort however they like.

Fluff text on unnamed pilots, make it italic like in the actual cards and more gray.

38 minutes ago, Hipsu said:

Fuff text on unnamed pilots, make it italic like in the actual cards and more gray.

First they need to fix the support for italic text so that it doesn't just spit out more html ?

Hi, to me:

1) Display upgrade cards on hover

2) Display bombs and mines effects along the device cards

3) Dials!

4) Direct links to share to someone without using Facebook or Tweeter links

5) Up & Down buttons to reorder ships on squad list

Edited by lllApOlll

https://squadbuilder.fantasyflightgames.com/squad-builder/tool

1. Clone this ship should be included as a button on the selected ship names. Cloning a named pilot should give you all the still possible attached upgrades on the lowest generic. 
2. A mouseover button to show the ship's dial. 
3. Mousing over the attached upgrades should show the upgrade. 
4. Ships need to be sorted in a more sensible manner: First, by PS, then highest point unique, then generic. Generally also, in the collapsed ship view, there should be PS value shown. 
5. Point costs that are variable... (Hull upgrade??) need to have this explained. 
6. Devices need to also have a linked mouse-over button within them to show what the devices do
(7. Non essential: the ability to move chosen ships up or down on the list view)

Big haul things: 
1. The upgrade addition page should be more integrated and not open out into a new window. 

Positive feedback: 
1. The interface is fast! good. 
2. Nice big text! 
3. Generally the other UI things, like having the points always at the top are spot on. Nice job! 

Someone copy to front?

Many of the things previously mentioned and also

* Option to print with more details (dial, card text, colours)

* Option to export as text (to use with chat clients like FB messenger and whatsapp)

* Number of available cards visible on selection (taking into account collection)

More features: 

*   When you hover over a game keyword or action symbol, get a float box telling you the current errataed version of the text or give you a hyperlink to the rule (i.e. hover over the barrel roll icon, give you a link to a barrel roll rule page or pop a floater that explains barrel rolls)

* When selecting a condition enabling upgrade card, give an option to show the condition card as well apart from the initial card (i.e. Informant to also show Listening Device)

Edited by stavrjim1

I have a few inventory-related suggestions:

1. Give me a Game Mode format that uses only what is in my collection.  We already have a collection tracker (by expansion) and presumably the back-end knows which cards go in which expansion, so I would think this is possible.
  2. To expand on #1 above, give me the option to add cards manually to my collection.  This would be a huge help as many people go to the aftermarket for individual upgrades and such, so #1 above would be less helpful in those cases.
  3. And to expand on #1 and #2, when building a squad in any other game mode, show me what cards I don't own (but let me build the squad anyway).  Bonus points if you show me what expansion(s) the card is in when I hover over it.
Edited by papy72

Update the conversion kits in the collection so they expand and allow someone to select the number of relevant ships a player owns since that limits their squad building as well.

Also once the collection is properly implemented, it would be good if they restrict it based on the cardboard.  For example, if you have 1 conversion kit, you can fly 2 ARCs, but you can't fly Norra and Garven.

4 minutes ago, papy72 said:

2. To expand on #1 above, give me the option to add cards manually to my collection.  This would be a huge help as many people go to the aftermarket for individual upgrades and such, so #1 above would be less helpful in those cases.

This would also be good for alternate art cards people win from tournaments and similar events.

My comments are with Android mobile in mind.

1. I need more sharing options. My group of players tend to share squads with each other through messenger, so we need a text version to paste in or share.

2. Offline is a basic requirement.

3. Condensed View? I don't need to see all the text and all the images all the time.

4. HTML tags! Basics guys. They just shouldn't be visible.

I'm a Software Tester, and if one the devs on my team presented the app to me in it's 1.0.0 state, I'd have given it right back to them. There must have been heavy time constraints on them for such obvious things to have gotten through QA. Something like variable points? I could maybe forgive. Or some janky combo. But visible HTML  tags etc is poor.

Nevertheless! I am trying to use the app, and look forward to seeing it improve.

Edited by SDCC

Thanks for inviting me over.  I don't know if my observations or request have already been mentioned here, so I'll copy and paste them in this reply and then review what you guys have come up with so far...

Point Values in the Search: Could you please add the point cost to the search feature from the "Card Database" option.  If you're trying to make a list it would be nice to be able to scan through the cards, both ship and upgrade and be able to see the actual point cost.  That is the point of the app, correct?  I realize that you can limit the point cost range, but we should be able to scan through the ship cards to get an idea of cost since the app is the only place you can get this.

Text in the Advanced Search: When attempting to use the "Advanced Search" several of the search option are illegible because they're cut off.  Examples are "Dual Mobil...", "Front 180..", "Front Bulls..", "Force Cap...", "Charge Li...".

No offline mode: The app doesn't work if you don't have WiFi or over the air data.  This is a huge design flaw.  Why would you want to pay for the bandwidth for people to continuously be querying your data web service?  The database can't be more that a few megs.

The app should have a local database.  When the app starts, have it check for connectivity to the data web service.  If it can't connect, it starts up using the local database.  If it can connect, it checks for updated data.  If there is updated data it retrieves it and updates the local database.  It then starts up on the local database.

To check for an update, the app only has to send a date or version to the service and the service replies with the updated data or a database valid message.  This will greatly reduce your bandwidth cost since the apps are only sending and receiving about 16 bytes to verify they are up to date if there are no updates to download.

After updating the database, it syncs the user's squads with their account on the server.  Also, after the data is updated, the user should be alerted if point cost changes has put any of their squad lists over the point limit.

I realize, that keeping the database on the web server ensures that everyone has the same data, but what good is that if no one at a tournament can connect.  Also, why would anyone design a mobile system where the server is doing 50% or 60% of the heavy lifting.  Leverage the client hardware.

I hope these help.  I'll read through the rest of the posts in a bit when I have a break here at work.

Just like to second a feature request in post #3 for the ability to group squads or manage the list in some way. I've been tinkering for a little while now and come up with 8 squads and I already have to scroll down to see the bottom squads in the list. How's that going to work once I have 30+ squads? This also highlights a big problem with the whole design, which is the very poor use of screen real estate. Everything just takes up so much space! I'm not sure exactly what they need to change, I just know there seems to be a lot of stuff on the screen but it seems to mainly be getting in the way, not enhancing the experience.

In app access to rules and errata.

I know this has been mentioned a couple times as a 'nice to have' on card details. But seriously, one of the primary buttons on the main screen should be "Rules". At a minimum that should expose some links to existing rules/faq pdfs online. Most of the folks reading here know to look for these already for current info but the new player that just picked up the core set at Target probably doesn't.  The 'nice to have' for it would be a good searchable database driven rules browser.