Admiral Deathrain

Squad Builder: Feature wishlist

Edit: This post is ugly, look at post #3 

The bugs are regrettable, but will certainly be fixed. What is missing, though? For me, two things come to mind:

1. A dial viewer. Not being able to see maneuvers is annoying when building lists.
  2. Stat updates. When you equip shield upgrades and similar things, you should have feedback on the ship display, similar to how YASB does it. I.e. an HWK with SU should have a 3(2) value displayed. This should also affect the dial viewer from point 1 with cards like R4!
Edited by Admiral Deathrain

2 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

The bugs are regrettable, but will certainly be fixed. What is missing, though? For me, two things come to mind:

1. A dial viewer. Not being able to see maneuvers is annoying when building lists.
  2. Stat updates. When you equip shield upgrades and similar things, you should have feedback on the ship display, similar to how YASB does it. I.e. an HWK with SU should have a 3(2) value displayed. This should also affect the dial viewer from point 1 with cards like R4!

Dial viewer for sure.

I'd also recommend being able to swap out pilots from the same ship chasis. Right now, you have to delete the whole ship to change the pilot.

I'm happy we have the official squadbuilder, even if there are some clear bugs and errors as of now on release day.

But there are some design choices that are missing, and I'd like to suggest some features:

General features:

• Some sort of toolbar next to the language choice
    • Let me jump from saved squads to collection to new squad without going through the main page
    • Let me go to the main page with something besides the logo, as it's not intuitive

Squad Building:

• A quickbuild option: "New List"
    • Currently I have to go through the mainpage, select squad building, select the mode, select the faction, and then I can start. Comparatively, other builders let me open a new squad and then I select faction and mode. So a simple "new squad" at the top in the -currently missing - toolbar would be enough.
  • Let me search for upgrades when selecting an upgrade
    • I have to scroll through all options. Currently that is sufficient because there are not too many cards to choose from. But even so, I would prefer the option to type the card name and it searches immediately.
  • Let me cancel an upgrade withouth changing pages.
    • A simple red cross next to the name would be enough
  • Let me duplicate a pilot
    • I do not want to choose the same upgrades for every X-wing if they will all get the same things.
  • Let me reorder the pilots
    • This matters to some people, we prefer to order them by initiative, or cost, or whatever. But it is not always clear from the beginning how to sort them.
  • Immediate stats changes (by @Admiral Deathrain)
    • Addition of the Moldy Crow title? Show me the arc. Addition of a hull upgrade? Show me the new hull value
  • Dials! (by @Admiral Deathrain)
  • Remaining points (by @BDrafty)
    • Currently we only get the total points -  and we don't even have the information while selecting an upgrade
  • Sort upgrades by points!

Management of Saved Squads

• Let me group squads
    • Especially with all these game modes: maybe I want to keep track of the dates, the tournament. Maybe I just want to save some squads even if I've never played them so far. There are plenty of reasons why I'd want to group them or sort them into folders.
  • Let me order the squads
    • Alphabetically, by faction, manually.
  • Let me track Win/Loss/Draw
    • I would like to keep all my info in your app because your app will always be what I use. So please, let be enter how many games I won, lost or had a draw

What other suggestions do you guys have?

Edited by GreenDragoon

Also, can we get a remainder for points left in the list? I know it's just simple subtraction from the counter at the top, but it helps keep track of how many more things you can cram into your squad.

You could EVEN red text cards and upgrades that you are selecting from that would be too expensive for the number of points you have left. 

General features:

• Some sort of toolbar next to the language choice
    • Let me jump from saved squads to collection to new squad without going through the main page
    • Let me go to the main page with something besides the logo, as it's not intuitive

I want to second this feature request. It's the first thing I noticed when trying to move between screens.

When choosing an upgrade, I think the system should support a concise view which lets me see many more upgrades on screen at once. Right now, for each upgrade, it shows a big picture, the name, all the text and has a place to mouse-over to see the real card. This is not going to scale well to many upgrades, it's already a bit unpleasant scrolling to find things. I would suggest that the list just contain a single line per upgrade which lists the Upgrade cost, name and then has a place you can mouse over (quick press on mobile) to bring up the card and another to see the text/errata/whatever if that's needed. This would let you see many more upgrades on screen at once for quick scanning/scrolling/picking with the ability to 'dive-in' for more details when needed.

The current interface could be retained as an option by having a user setting (upgrade view: Concise | Expanded) and/or a toggle you can use in the upgrade selection screen itself for switching views.

1 minute ago, Nspace said:

I want to second this feature request. It's the first thing I noticed when trying to move between screens.

Motion carried! I went to collection then wanted to build and had to go back and drill through everything. So this would go back to the "New List" shortcut. But all the top menu always being available would be good. 

I'd also go in on liking to see the available maneuvers for a ship. 

Copying a generic pilot or a ship would be good. I didn't save any squads but can you copy a list and then edit it? That seems useful. 

I think another way to view the upgrades instead of the straight list? Maybe a gallery view or the already requested search idea. (DarthHenryAllen with mad ninja skills!) 

Some sort of settings feature maybe? So we could customize to personal preferences somewhat. 

Right now, I can see I have 4-LOM on board but when I hover over him, the tool tip just shows '4-LOM', which I already know. I'd really like it to show me the card or bring up the rules text so I can figure out what he does. There doesn't appear to be a way to review what you're chosen upgrades do without clicking on them to look at them in the 'choose upgrade' screen. Mercifully, the currently chosen upgrade is shown at the top of the list when you go to that screen, however it would be so much better if you could just hover over (quick-press on mobile) any upgrade on your ship to see what it does.

It would be *really* nice if you could add individual models and cards to your collection instead of just adding by expansion. Considering the number of folks converting from 1.0, generics in conversion kits not matching dial counts, etc. and all the trading/secondary market action that is likely to happen as a result, I have trouble imagining the 'by expansion' collection is actually sufficient/desirable for very many people.

19 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

Hm, now we have my badly formated post as OP instead of @GreenDragoon s nice well structured one. That is a bit unfortunate!

Just put the link to his post on top

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/282501-squad-builder-feature-wishlist/?do=findComment&comment=3468790

Offline squad building! It's a major pastime for me when commuting (which often involves going underground) and on my break at work where I get no signal. Living in a city like London means it's much the same for many of my friends too. Mind you though it's the bugs that make it unusable though so they are what need to be fixed urgently!