Sign in to follow this  
GILLIES291

Is the 2.0 Core Set really required?

With the Clone Wars announcement I'm anticipating a starter pack for that era as well. So not really wanting to pick up a core set this time but want to grab the conversion kits and keep playing. Is anything really required out of there? Rules are available online. Templates I can just draw a line on, and tokens I'm fine to use the existing 1st edition tokens. Tricky one is the damage deck because that is pretty different, but is that the only thing needed from the core to keep playing?

The new templates are pretty important.  "Just drawing on them" seems... dubious to me, but if it's fine with your casual group, who am I to judge.  Meanwhile, if the tournament rules are the same as before, I think you can request both players share a set of templates.

Damage deck is huge, but there may be spares around.

4 minutes ago, direweasel said:

If somebody showed up at my table with templates they hand-drew lines on, I would walk away.  Just saying.  Maybe your crew is different.

What about modifying my acrylic templates? It would be simple to measure and etch a notch in the end of those.

is it Applied Perspective who is etching acrylic templates for like $5.00? I don't remember but the photos ive see look great.

Anyway, seems a lot of those promo damage decks from Gencon were showing up on ebay.  you could buy one of those. and a few folks set up custom printable decks when the contents got revealed a while back. You could find one if those pretty easily I bet. It's just a matter if anyone in your gaming circle would care as they wouldn't be tournament legal.

10 minutes ago, GILLIES291 said:

With the Clone Wars announcement I'm anticipating a starter pack for that era as well. So not really wanting to pick up a core set this time but want to grab the conversion kits and keep playing. Is anything really required out of there? Rules are available online. Templates I can just draw a line on, and tokens I'm fine to use the existing 1st edition tokens. Tricky one is the damage deck because that is pretty different, but is that the only thing needed from the core to keep playing?

If you get some acrylic templates and a damage deck not really. But you will miss Luke and tie pilots 

A guy showed up to our game night with some paper printed and glued to his regular old templates.  Very sharp and very good.  I think it was on Reddit somewhere maybe that there was a print file?  Almost like full color templates!

A damage deck.  That's what you're missing.  Get your hands on one of those and you're golden.  The barrel roll 1-speed template is probably the most important.  All the others you might be able to get away without the line on, but the line does help a TON on bumps.  

A core sure wouldn't hurt, especially since the damage decks on eBay are around $20.  May as well get some cheap ships!

Thanks everyone!

Fair points, forgot about requesting to share templates. And I have nice acrylic ones too so even with the new line down the middle ones I would rather just cut a line on mine and use that instead especially since it's just for the 1 template. 

So I guess anyone that's using a fancy Gencon damage deck want to sell off a cheap normal 2.0 damage deck to a guy with kids strapped for cash haha.

11 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

is it Applied Perspective who is etching acrylic templates for like $5.00? I don't remember but the photos ive see look great.

Anyway, seems a lot of those promo damage decks from Gencon were showing up on ebay.  you could buy one of those. and a few folks set up custom printable decks when the contents got revealed a while back. You could find one if those pretty easily I bet. It's just a matter if anyone in your gaming circle would care as they wouldn't be tournament legal.

Do you happen to know where those printable damage decks are? We are pretty laid back in our remote area.

16 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

I was looking at Highbridge Design on Etsy earlier.  I think they have everything 2.0 in acryllic, including $5 packs of tokens (like 5 shields for $5).

26 minutes ago, direweasel said:

If somebody showed up at my table with templates they hand-drew lines on, I would walk away.  Just saying.  Maybe your crew is different.

So if a high-school kid came to play at your LGS, he doesn't have a lot of money so he bought some used template from 1.0, downloaded one of the stencil to draw/paint the line on the template, and asked to play, you would walk away?

Just saying, not everyone has access to disposable income, but everyone should have the chance to play with others and have fun! At least, at our local store, we routinely allow proxy, or lend missing stuff, and heck some people straight up gave me free cards to play when I started playing. It honestly helped me a lot develop this love for X-wing, because the people playing it where super friendly and ready to help. 

26 minutes ago, GILLIES291 said:

Thanks everyone!

Fair points, forgot about requesting to share templates. And I have nice acrylic ones too so even with the new line down the middle ones I would rather just cut a line on mine and use that instead especially since it's just for the 1 template. 

So I guess anyone that's using a fancy Gencon damage deck want to sell off a cheap normal 2.0 damage deck to a guy with kids strapped for cash haha.

more than 1 straight.    1 bank, 2 banks, 2 straight.    3 turns.    1 turns.    2 turns?   I dunno.  anything that moves different than a normal move or barrel roll.  so tallon rolls, Starviper barrel rolls, echo-decloak, regular decloak.    who knows what the Prequel factions will need.

I had Applied Perspective re-do my templates, and its a nice job.  he'll do it for non-AP templates as well.

Edited by EvilEwok83

Maybe you can find someone who will give you a damage deck too. I know due to GenCon prerelease and the one I ordered, I know have three cores and thus six damage decks. Already gave one or two out to locals. 

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? If you're near a Krayt we can  print you an alt-art damage deck. I know there's some of us in Carolina, Northern Colorado, Alberta, DC, Chicago, and Toronto, and probably elsewhere that I'm just not remembering. 

6 minutes ago, EvilEwok83 said:

more than 1 straight.    1 bank, 2 banks, 2 straight.    3 turns.    1 turns.    2 turns?   I dunno.  anything that moves different than a normal move or barrel roll.  so tallon rolls, Starviper barrel rolls, echo-decloak, regular decloak.    who knows what the Prequel factions will need.

I had Applied Perspective re-do my templates, and its a nice job.  he'll do it for non-AP templates as well.

51 minutes ago, direweasel said:

So what's the difference between Applied Perspective effectively drawing on lines and someone doing themselves with precision and steady hand?

Don't want to knock on AP, but most people should be able to do this themselves. This is what I plan on doing until I get my own acrylic templates or the core set. And if you have such an issue with their templates, @direweasel, you should just let them use your templates to ensure they aren't cheating. Walking away would be a melodramatic, dickish, unwelcoming thing to do.

Don't be a ****.

1 hour ago, direweasel said:

Both players dont need templates or damage deck to play, as one core is designed for 2 players. Kinda poor sportsmanship to make it an issue

31 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

Both players dont need templates or damage deck to play, as one core is designed for 2 players. Kinda poor sportsmanship to make it an issue

Fair point actually...and I will probably have spares most days. 

So I'll clarify.  If they insist on using their hand-drawn ones and won't use others if offered, then I wouldn't play. 

8 minutes ago, direweasel said:

Fair point actually...and I will probably have spares most days. 

So I'll clarify.  If they insist on using their hand-drawn ones and won't use others if offered, then I wouldn't play. 

Realized in hindsight my comment sounded like i was saying you might be a poor sport, which wasnt my intention.  Sorry bout that.

Yeah homebrew templates are only cool if youre doing a legit weird game and purposefully make wonky templates, for example for mario cart style race, etc

2 hours ago, Kieransi said:

Maybe you can find someone who will give you a damage deck too. I know due to GenCon prerelease and the one I ordered, I know have three cores and thus six damage decks. Already gave one or two out to locals. 

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? If you're near a Krayt we can  print you an alt-art damage deck. I know there's some of us in Carolina, Northern Colorado, Alberta, DC, Chicago, and Toronto, and probably elsewhere that I'm just not remembering. 

Northern Alberta Fort McMurray. So unfortunately not near those but if the envelope shipping is cheaper then a full core I'm still game haha.

Again thank you to everyone offering help and ideas to consider!