Sign in to follow this  
joshthesheep

Thematic Events

I noticed in the brand new FFG squad builder, if you go under variants they have a Battle of Yavin button. It lists a Deluxe Wave 1 Kit Thematic Event that is supposed relive the death star attack with only ships from that movie.

Oh man. This confirms Thematic Events.

That sounds really exciting to me. I wonder if will be a kit they sell to stores or a kit for individuals. It would be really cool if it included a Deathstar trench playmat and some turbolaser towers.

I wonder what other kinds of Thematic kits they will have as well. Endor? Scarif?

Organized Play is definitely headed in the right direction, going beyond 200 pt deathmatches.

Did FFG already confirm this? or did the App just give us a teaser?

Edited by joshthesheep

I'm calling it now, the epic May the Fourth event with 3 Star Wars games all converging on the battle of Endor.  Armada with the Rebels vs the SSD, Imperial Assault (or Legion) to shut down the shield generator, and finally X-Wing to blow up the Death Star.  Outcome from the first two games can influence the final one.  Rebels losing Armada makes more TIEs or whatever spawn in X-Wing, and not taking out the shield generator increases the damage the Death Star core will need to take.  Winner takes the galaxy, you know, until the sequel trilogy.

1 minute ago, SuperMarino said:

I'm calling it now, the epic May the Fourth event with 3 Star Wars games all converging on the battle of Endor.  Armada with the Rebels vs the SSD, Imperial Assault (or Legion) to shut down the shield generator, and finally X-Wing to blow up the Death Star.  Outcome from the first two games can influence the final one.  Rebels losing Armada makes more TIEs or whatever spawn in X-Wing, and not taking out the shield generator increases the damage the Death Star core will need to take.  Winner takes the galaxy, you know, until the sequel trilogy.

Oh man. That sounds amazing.

1 hour ago, SuperMarino said:

Even if this never comes to pass, we as a community can probably come up with a really cool event packet that local stores can run to celebrate the launch of the SSD.

I made my comment as a bit of a joke, but I might legitimately throw something together and convince my game and Star Wars loving friends to do an epic game day with me and make this real.  I'd like to have 3 rebel players vs me as the single Imperial player.

For Armada I'd have them draw up 3 fleets of like 300 points each vs my single fleet of 700-800 points including the Executor.  I'd also have the Death Star randomly blow up a ship or two throughout the game (maybe on certain rounds whoever is outside a specific range of the SSD goes boom?).  This might take too long, so I'll probably dial the points down, but I want each player (who aren't big Armada players) to feel like they a little fleet of their own - especially if the Death Star blows up a ship of theirs.

For Imperial Assault, well, I never played it, but understand the concept and have played similar games.  I could homebrew a scenario, not a huge deal, could probably just modify some of the existing ones. Would probably make some kind of custom playmat for this.  Personally, I'd prefer this to Legion, but for those who like Legion, I could see a similar scenario being devised for that.

For X-Wing (2nd Edition), I'm thinking I'd play it on a 3x6 board, start the rebels off to one side.  They can each have 150 point fleets vs an Imperial fleet of around 450.  Make it a bit of a race where the Death Star core is on the opposite end and there are obstacles they need to get through, maybe some stationary turrets, and swarms of TIEs. I was thinking of a round limit, but might just spawn more TIEs as time keeps going to keep the pressure on.  They get to the opposite end and have to blow up the core.  If it feels right, I'd give them a countdown clock to get out too, for bonus points or something.  I'd want a custom playmat for this as well.  Also, I would do something like I said, where Armada and Imperial Assault results skew this one, hopefully making it easier if they won the earlier rounds.

Make it so Uniques are unique across the three games - so if you want Han piloting the Falcon in X-Wing then you can't use Han in Imperial Assault and you can't have the Falcon in Armada (I'd say those ships are being saved for the final run).  I would also throw together a few prebuilt fleets to mimic what we saw in Return of the Jedi, if they would want to use those instead.

I'm realizing this would be a very long event... but it would be a lot of fun, at least for me!  Also, since I'd basically be the gamemaster as the lone Imperial player, I could skew the game a bit in the Rebel's favor if I find myself able to slaughter all of them to make it enjoyable for them (or turn up the heat if it is boring and easy!).  Of course, anyone else could tweak the points values and balance to make it fair for both sides from the start.  Anyway, that is my starting point!