Sign in to follow this  
Herowannabe

New Article: flying in formation

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/9/11/flight-academy-flying-in-formation/

EDIT: looks like it’s mostly just a review of swarm formations with links to past articles. Though I’ve never seen his broken formation near the end. That’s pretty cool. I might have to play around with that one a bit. 

Edited by Herowannabe

Sorry if the content seems dated or lacking, I wrote this over 2 years ago. I had forgotten that I even wrote it until I got an email from asmodee today. Also sorry to disappoint, but X-wing will remain in my past for the foreseeable future. I do hope that everyone enjoys the reboot. Have fun everybody!

Hm. I won’t argue that formation flying is not effective. In a tourney where you need relentless efficiency go for it. That being said...

WARNING: PURE OPINION BELOW

Formation flying like what the author described the most god awful boring way to play this game. Rather than actually playing a move and dodge and make me think game (you know, the fun stuff), the person running tight formations like that has chosen to play farkle. 

1 hour ago, Church14 said:

WARNING: PURE OPINION BELOW

Formation flying like what the author described the most god awful boring way to play this game. Rather than actually playing a move and dodge and make me think game (you know, the fun stuff), the person running tight formations like that has chosen to play farkle. 

I think that formations can be really fun to play (I mean, unless you're just K-turning and rolling dice...)because youhave to think about each ship individually and as part of a larger unit. Knowing when to break formation, and having to constantly adjust your strategy is a rewarding effort. 

I usually have a mini swarm (of FO's) that come in formation, purposely cause a traffic jam, break up and knife fight. 

5 hours ago, hothie said:

Sorry if the content seems dated or lacking, I wrote this over 2 years ago.

There's a section on dealing with TIE Phantoms that can decloak right before they move. I can think of nothing more relevant in today's Supernatural Reflexes environment!

Edited by skotothalamos

5 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

Unless you are relying on range 1 abilities like Howlrunner’s or Biggs’, mass arcs, not ships. 

Agreed. But when dealing with 6+ ships, massing arcs - especially at an 'effective' range 1-2 (because range 3 TIE/ln shots aren't worth spit) tends to require your ships to be in really close proximity, which in turn means you're forced into some sort of formation.

It's not worth nailing your entire squad into a tight 'brick' - a 2 by 4 made of TIE fighters is as unwieldy as a 2 by 4 made of scots pine, and your opponent is as unlikely to blithely let you hit him in the face with one. But flying a swarm of 8 TIEs as two clusters, each behaving like a large ship with 4 2-dice attacks, is a good way to plan out your initial approach and engagement.