Bhelliom

Ventala Preview Article

Hm.

-5 points

-really encourages danger close fire support

-Average of 1 Damage per Ventala nearby

-Spike Damage of 4 per nearby Ventala. 

Damage as a single sum or multiple instances of 2? Article implies single lump sum damage or else it would be silly to use it on CursedV. Articles are frequently wrong. 

I for one one am a fan of having cards that are not intended as general tournament worthy but serve a fun purpose countering niche builds in a local meta. WotH seems like that kind of card. 

Pretty sweet.

i think we also see an implication of other Ventala units in the future.  They may not have them designed yet, but they definitely wrote the card with the opening to do more than just skirmishers.

and I dint think it would be too hard to have darnati or archers with the Ventala upgrade plus two Ventala skirmishers units.  That’s cheap enough and would put out some consistent damage that isn’t affected by runes.

55 minutes ago, Hepitude said:

Did anyone else notice these are currently listed at siege prices? I was thinking originally I'd get 2 or 3, but not if they're $35 each...

I asked about it, and was told that the size and complexity of the figures required an extra mould, upping the production cost significantly.

I suspect that's also the reason for the packmaster's pricing as well.

I'm still picking up three for myself.

Edited by Xelto

8 hours ago, Church14 said:

Hm.

-5 points

-really encourages danger close fire support

-Average of 1 Damage per Ventala nearby

-Spike Damage of 4 per nearby Ventala. 

Damage as a single sum or multiple instances of 2? Article implies single lump sum damage or else it would be silly to use it on CursedV. Articles are frequently wrong. 

I for one one am a fan of having cards that are not intended as general tournament worthy but serve a fun purpose countering niche builds in a local meta. WotH seems like that kind of card. 

Each surge is a different instance of damage

3 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

How would you have worded it if you wanted the damage to be suffered as a single pool?

"The enemy suffers two damage per surge rolled"? "The enemy suffers damage equal to twice the number of surges rolled" would be even clearer.

Subject of a future FAQ?

I think the key to my mind is that this isn't an attack, it is a card effect.  So all precedent from spending surges in attacks go out the window.  I looked Storm Sorceress over pretty thoroughly, which is the only card I can find that is close to the same kind of effect.  On the surface, if you do get more than one surge (not frequent when you only get one die), you can pick multiple targets.  Presumably you could still pick the same target twice, for which you'd apply red rune damage twice, but separately.  For Warden of Horn and Branch, you're picking the one target at the outset, but there's nothing on the card that requires you to split up the damage.

In any event, I think wreaking low health units is one of the main goals of this upgrade.  If you go for this upgrade, you presumably go all-in, which means at least two 2x1 Ventala.  They can move at initiative-8 distance 4, and adjust to distance 3 or bank depending upon enemy movement, followed by their fire option.  So you'd have two 4 damage attacks late in the round.  You can then shift-special off of Archers, and I don't know how often I've done that already with Fire Rune.  It is a very hard-to-stop move.  Except now you can take Warden as a Champion upgrade, Fire Rune as your Equipment, and Simultaneous orders on a 2x1.  That's an awful lot of very late round damage incoming.

26 minutes ago, kaffis said:

"The enemy suffers two damage per surge rolled"? "The enemy suffers damage equal to twice the number of surges rolled" would be even clearer.

Something along these lines. I'd probably say, "The enemy suffers damage equal to the number of surges times two." Which is really awkward now that I see it written, but there is no doubt that the damage is one big lump. The way it's currently written, we need clarification.

11 hours ago, Jukey said:

Fairly certain it's all applied at once.

I'm more curious if flank fire can be used to measure from the side arc when checking for line of sight for warden.

Flank Fire says, straight up, "You can draw LOS ... using your side arcs." So, yes.

If it was not meant to allow LOS for non-attacks, it would say "When performing a [ranged attack], you may draw LOS..." Putting the "and" in there and separating out LOS first makes this absolutely clear in my eyes.