Sign in to follow this  
XiliX

Are the rear firing arcs used for speeder bikes or AT-ST?

For what it's worth, I'd keep the arcs marked in.  It's not going to kill you to future-proof your models against some effect that comes down the line that offers some kind of benefit for attacking vehicles in the side/rear arcs, or something to that effect.

You don't want to be "that guy" that's on here in a year complaining about how you based over them because you didn't have a need at the time, and now you're going to have to mess up your bases to get the lines back in.

As said above, they're not currently used. I agree it's a good idea to leave them for future-proofing - who knows if you'll get an upgrade card the speeder bikes can use for a rear weapon, or some other unit gets to receive a bonus when attacking a repulsor vehicle from the rear arc? I also find all the lines useful when performing a pivot, personally.

4 hours ago, Steelgolem said:

You can get fire arc templates from battlekiwi.com

For unofficial events/casual play those look handy. However, the tournament rules indicate that bases should "clearly and accurately delineate any firing arcs that miniature has." Still, neat product.

4 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

For unofficial events/casual play those look handy. However, the tournament rules indicate that bases should "clearly and accurately delineate any firing arcs that miniature has." Still, neat product.

Thanks for the clarification.

3 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

And they would, by having a standardised slot into which you can put a widget to clearly and accurately delineate the arc.

8 hours ago, Yodhrin said:

And they would, by having a standardised slot into which you can put a widget to clearly and accurately delineate the arc.

You should probably check with your event marshal before showing up with that presumption..."bases should allow for accurate delineation" is not the same as "bases should accurately delineate."

15 hours ago, Yodhrin said:

A non-FFG produced widget, which has to be placed to show the arcs rather than the base always showing the arcs. A widget which will also show a different arc if my opponent is using non-standard bases. If I have to use another tool that I don't own because it is produced by a third party, then the arc isn't "clear." 

Edit: Additionally, with 3D terrain, there will be times that widget can't be placed in the slot, flat on the table. That's hardly clear at that point, and definitely not accurate.

Edited by Caimheul1313

24 minutes ago, Yodhrin said:

Jesus I'm glad I don't attend tournaments, I get enough of that level of pedantry in day to day life.

Ditto!  I marked the firing arcs on the sides of the base and terrained over them.  Not street legal, but imminently playable and much better looking.

Edited by lostpict

14 hours ago, lostpict said:

Ditto!  I marked the firing arcs on the sides of the base and terrained over them.  Not street legal, but imminently playable and much better looking.

You marked the sides of the bases clearly and accuratle, correct? Then you should fine as long as those markings are present. The tournament rule doesn't indicate that the original base lines have to be visible, just that the base should have a visible, accurate way of indicating firing arc. Requiring a tool makes it much harder to eyeball overlapping firing arcs, or even look at more than one at a time.

Also, if FFG isn't producing those templates, then TOs have to examine them for legality. There's enough cheating in the tournament scene that FFG needs to be this pedantic or someone will cheat the system, purposefully using templates that are a couple degrees too wide, or when it can't be slotted in due to terrain, purposefully hold it above the model in slightly the wrong direction, favouring the player holding the template. 

17 hours ago, Yodhrin said:

I get enough of that level of pedantry in day to day life

I dunno what to say to that. Board (war) games are activities structured by rules. You are completely free to buy the components and do whatever you want at home with your friends, but every instance in which you say "Following these rules as written is pedantic" is a degree of separation from you playing the same game as everyone else. And, again, that's fine if it's what you want to do, but it shouldn't be surprising or upsetting to you when others want to adhere to them.

14 hours ago, sithkhan said:

I guess using a laser to check the arcs is not tourney legal?  Or is that a third party component?

Checking the arc isn't the issue, a third party component that is not permanently affixed to the base, and is larger than the base  as the only marking for the arc is the issue. 

Edited by Caimheul1313

On 9/12/2018 at 10:26 AM, Turan said:

Board (war) games are activities structured by rules.

This attitude is why I don't play Warmachine. I built all my jacks on square bases cause I thought they looked better and I modeled little dioramas on all of them and painted all my guys and... the junky grey-and-dried-glue-colored armies across from me whined incessantly that a square base instead of a circle ruined the whole game. You'd think I was trying to get them to play Chutes & Ladders with their miniatures. Wasn't even a tournament. Friendly home games by people who were allegedly tying to get me to be recruited into Warmachine.

Your toy spacemen, your rules. He doesn't go to tournaments so I agree with his approach. Better to have a cool looking base and be off by a millimeter here and there checking your arcs.

Edited by TauntaunScout

1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

This attitude is why I don't play Warmachine. I built all my jacks on square bases cause I thought they looked better and I modeled little dioramas on all of them and painted all my guys and... the junky grey-and-dried-glue-colored armies across from me whined incessantly that a square base instead of a circle ruined the whole game. You'd think I was trying to get them to play Chutes & Ladders with their miniatures. Wasn't even a tournament. Friendly home games by people who were allegedly tying to get me to be recruited into Warmachine.

Your toy spacemen, your rules. He doesn't go to tournaments so I agree with his approach. Better to have a cool looking base and be off by a millimeter here and there checking your arcs.

I'm all for people doing what what makes them happy, in miniatures games and in most aspects of life. Except when it comes to following things that are, y'know, rules. 

If you want to put models on non-standard bases because you think it looks better, great! But I absolutely reserve the right to refuse to play against anyone using anything non-standard, even outside of a tournament. 

Also, what does the fact that his army wasn't painted have to do with anything? Do you feel that makes him beneath you?