Sign in to follow this  
Pimpbacca

5 HWK mini-swarm! Viable?

Through a series of 2nd hand bulk buys I ended up with 5 HWK-290's (one still in packet, I was going to sell dring v.1)

I haven't really had a chance to study hardly any of the new stuff in 2.0, but at 32 points base model I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the viability of a loony 5 HWK swarm might be?

Fire away.

After flying HWKs a lot in 1.0 and seeing how they'll be moving into 2.0, I expect them to remain pretty similar to their 1.0 counterparts, where you see 1, possibly 2, acting in a supporting role via either their pilot ability (I'm planning a lot of fun things with Palob...) or the upgrades they can take.

Best I can think of:

Kyle Katarn (38)
Seismic Charges (3)
Jyn Erso (2)

Rebel Scout (32)
Seismic Charges (3)
Leia Organa (8)

Rebel Scout (32)
Proton Bombs (5)
Sabine Wren (3)

Rebel Scout (32)
Proton Bombs (5)

Rebel Scout (32)
Proton Bombs (5)

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!49:71,46,-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:;49:69,57,-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:;49:69,-1,-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:;49:69,-1,-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:;48:-1,71,40,-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron&obs=

Scouts and Gray Squadron Bombers are same cost, so I feel like if you're flying a swarm of 5 HWKs over 5 Y-Wings you must make use of the crew slots. The key here is Leia, which for 1 turn (then every 3 turns) enables white 0 stop and 3 turn maneuvers whenever you need it. Kyle can use Jyn to pass evades around, but not nearly as effectively as he would if he had room for Moldy Crow. Optionally you can reduce Kyle/Jyn to a Rebel Scout to make room for other upgrades. Load up the whole squad with bombs and Sabine, and you got yourself a janky mobile arc bomber swarm. Might be fun to play around with.

Alternatively you could swap out Kyle and the 2 cheapest scouts for 3 R4 Proton Bomb GSBs, or 2 double tap bomber GSBs.

Edited by Enigami