Sign in to follow this  
freakyg3

Is the game still healthy?

25 minutes ago, Dobbs Mottley said:

I'd definitely agree with that...which is why I'd be both surprised (and disappointed) if they didn't capitalise on the popularity of HotAC and produce an AI app. I really do hope that you (and our sources) are right!

In a funny way, the popularity of HotAC may actually make them less likely to do a co-op campaign for Xwing. In order to do it, they'd need to make a very robust system because HotAC is very well done, and developing such a system isn't cheap and easy (especially if you're talking about one with app development costs).

And even if they do build a good system, many players may simply decide "HotAC is very good and I already have all the components for that, why bother paying more for another co-op system?"

Who knows, I'd still love them to do it... But I think HotAC's existence actually makes an official coop campaign less likely. 

That's a fair point, although an official app-based system could have several selling points over HotAC. Digital bookkeeping for one (possibly linked into the squad builder), plus FFG could sell extra missions/expansions as DLC to allow greater variety for people who don't fancy creating and balancing their own scenarios.

2 hours ago, heychadwick said:

I always counter that X-wing is their meal ticket and they will put the majority of their effort into that stuff. 

I'm not sure I can buy into that.  They have developed both Runewars and Legion while putting little else into XWM but more ships.  Obviously they have been putting effort into 2.0, but that energy apparently hasn't been to expand the scope of the game, but rather to create an app-based idea that makes standard play more functional.

3 hours ago, Dobbs Mottley said:

To what extent is that down to FFG's promotion of Epic though?

I'm not sure Epic was well handled. The fact that the Raider came bundled with both a classic ship fix and a very strong card usable in standard format suggests they weren't convinced by their product's ability to sell on its own merits. It's a sort of chicken-and-egg scenario...was Epic under supported because it wasn't a big hit or was it not a big hit because it was under-supported?

Epic has been historically used as a "big card in a big box" or a "fighter fix in a big box."

In terms of dev discussions, releases, and overall promotion, I would stay that Epic gets about 5% of the attention of anything else overall.  Even when a huge ship dropped, it was one article about the Huge ship, and a second article about the small ship fix that was included.  So even when it got "full attention" it really only got 50% of the news, because the Epic release was still half about "look! we fixed this starfighter!"

Which honestly makes me wonder what ideas they have for marketing Epic.  The old MO of packaging isn't really going to work for years to come, since nothing should need a fix for quite awhile.  And fixes will be electronic in any event, so that may not ever be a thing.

20 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I haven't really seen much from FFG in the last 4 months to make me think that 2.0 going to be any different of an approach to their offerings and product line than 1.0.  I have been waiting for a campaign, a 2-section Scum huge, and anything that doesn't focus pretty much solely on 400/6 "standard" play.

If it takes them 2 years to get back around to Epic, I'll be long gone.

I mean, the 2.0 launch appears to be a MASSIVE endeavor - they're converting ALL ships, and attempting to points balance them.

I have no idea when, but I'm not  as pessimistic it will take 2 years to get to epic. I also would disagree that they should have held up all of 2.0 just to make sure epic was rolled out simultaneously.

I hope epic is released soon for you as well! While epic is irrelevant to me, I would like there to be as many game options as possible for everyone to enjoy.

the bunch of toxic elements had gone with the wind, leaving in play people who love star wars and boardgame for fun and fair play competitive match. That and the most impressive work done with policing the game back and front have give a big shot on the fan to play it and to the easyness to introduce new players (who do no feel themselves as little fish throw to hungry sharks anymore...) So the game here has had a healthy start, with the right people. And a most healthy run out of the block for the wrong one (who are now without a victime-game... nor FFG nor GW or other types...)
I only fear that when they will see a lot of people play with XWing 2.0 they could think to come back and make trouble again...

2 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I'm not sure I can buy into that.  They have developed both Runewars and Legion while putting little else into XWM but more ships.  Obviously they have been putting effort into 2.0, but that energy apparently hasn't been to expand the scope of the game, but rather to create an app-based idea that makes standard play more functional.

What?!?!  

54 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

I mean, the 2.0 launch appears to be a MASSIVE endeavor - they're converting ALL ships, and attempting to points balance them.

Yeah.   This.  

2nd Ed has taken a huge amount of effort.  Revamping the entire game from the ground up has taken a lot of effort.  Also, breaking some out into new factions and trying to get each faction with it's own flavor.  Next, new prequel ships are coming.  These guys have been seriously busy with X-wing!

We often agree, but not on that one.

The game may be healthy enough, but I'm starting to really worry about vassal. Perhaps it will take until the excitement over the physical product wears down, but it's been just as bare post release as pre release.

5 hours ago, Kdubb said:

The game may be healthy enough, but I'm starting to really worry about vassal. Perhaps it will take until the excitement over the physical product wears down, but it's been just as bare post release as pre release.

I would think most people are playing the physical game right now at various launch events or in their gaming groups. People enthusiastic enough to learn how to use Vassal to play X-Wing are probably more likely to be heavily invested in the physical game too.

5 hours ago, Kdubb said:

I know I used VASSAL a lot when I had the time to play, but the local community had dried up because of 1.0s several issues. Now with 2.0 I am able to find players again, so the time I can free up I'd rather spend irl, especially after working (procrastinating on the X-Wing forums) at my PC all day.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:44 AM, evcameron said:

What are you talking about? One of the specific things ffg is looking to do with the app on 2.0 is have themed game modes. The first one is battle of yavin. Aka relive the movies...

So, now that we have the app, "limited list building then go play 400/6" is an incredibly lame proposition for "relive the movies."