Force Majeure

Will Australia/NZ get the App First?

I’m hoping it launches a day or two before the release date. The 13th is already going to be busy enough sorting through all the new components and (in my case as a TO) hosting a release party. I would rather not have to download and figure out the app during the middle of all of that, too. 

Still, I guess that would be better than having the app drop sometime AFTER the 13th, especially since one of the launch party events is supposed to be showing that you know how to build a squad in the app...

4 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Because of how time zones work, they're a full day ahead of us here in the USA. So will the app be ready on the 12th? or will the app launch States-side and come to Australia/New Zealand for them, a day late  ?

Well we only got half an allotment of preorder damage decks so I expect we will only get half the app too. 

From my limited lurking on the site and web there is very little info available about the app.  I would be amazed if it's available in the first week.  

In a game where every card and ship is spoiled weeks and months before releases, having almost no information about something as potentially complicated as the app doesn't bode well

4 minutes ago, McTavish said:

I'm hoping they release it this weekend. Granted, this is mostly due to my impatience. However, there is the very real benefit of spreading out the 'day one' traffic flood a bit to spare their servers/services.

Perhaps you refer to the imminent attack of the X-wing app release on Apple and Google servers? Yes; I assure you, we are quite safe from your 'traffic flood' here.

31 minutes ago, thomedwards said:

Perhaps you refer to the imminent attack of the X-wing app release on Apple and Google servers? Yes; I assure you, we are quite safe from your 'traffic flood' here.

errr??? It has nothing to do with Apple or Google. I'm speaking of the Asmodee/FFG servers hosting x-wing.com and all of the backend for the X-Wing squad builder app. As soon as the app goes out there will be thousands of new accounts setup and all of them loading collections, creating squads and generally poking at anything that looks like it could be a button. I have little faith that there systems will be able to soak it all in gracefully.

This won't be a concern if it is a completely self contained mobile app like the Imperial Assault app with no external data store. I don't recall where, but something was said about accessing your collection and lists from either mobile app or the web app. I interpreted that to mean that they had a shared backend. But now that you are making me type it all out I think it may be too high of an expectation based on what they have done elsewhere.

Edited by McTavish
typos

5 minutes ago, McTavish said:

I have little faith that there systems will be able to soak it all in gracefully.

If the website back end is being totally handled in house by FFG, I would agree with you. But if the backend is being run through AWS or Azure, I don't think there is too much to worry about. Now, if you want to talk about bugs in the builder where we can build "illegal" ships or squads, I'd think that is very likely, as all software has bugs.

4 minutes ago, Nspace said:

If the website back end is being totally handled in house by FFG, I would agree with you. But if the backend is being run through AWS or Azure, I don't think there is too much to worry about. Now, if you want to talk about bugs in the builder where we can build "illegal" ships or squads, I'd think that is very likely, as all software has bugs.

I agree about the cloud services but that may not help very much if the app/database/... (service as a whole) is poorly designed. Put grandma in a Ferrari and she'll still do 35 in the fast lane of the freeway.

4 hours ago, piznit said:

From my limited lurking on the site and web there is very little info available about the app.  I would be amazed if it's available in the first week.  

In a game where every card and ship is spoiled weeks and months before releases, having almost no information about something as potentially complicated as the app doesn't bode well

I mean, we still have the good old pdf if things don’t work out.

The real question is this: has anyone been trying to “hack” their site and guess the web address that FFG is using to test out the squad builder site? I remember a year or two ago someone was able to figure out the web address for Regionals information when FFG was being really slow to announce Regionals locations, and I’ve seen unspoiled cards get leaked by guessing their image address. 

Edit: IIRC “testing.fantasyflightgames/“ is a good place to start looking

Edited by Herowannabe

16 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Because of how time zones work, they're a full day ahead of us here in the USA. So will the app be ready on the 12th? or will the app launch States-side and come to Australia/New Zealand for them, a day late  ?

It could be 13th US time, so 14th for ANZ players.

The developers have mentioned a few times it's due to release on the 13th. Whether it actually does or not is anyone's guess. It's also been mentioned that the app won't need to connect to FFG's servers for anything other than updates - all the data is contained in the app - so there shouldn't be a problem downloading it when it releases. There may be problems with the web app but I hope they'd be wise enough to use cloud services to host that.