nikk whyte

Surgical Suggestions

so my saw's renegade pack got a little melty from being left in the back of my car (thanks georgia summer) and the peg on the bottom of my u-wing physically cant accept a peg inside it now. 

suggestions for fixing this? should i attempt to dremel it out or just clip it off an glue a peg directly to the hull? 

I mean, trying to Dremel it out can't really do any more harm since the other strategy is just clipping that piece off anyway. Try if you think you might be happy with the results, but my guess is that, at best, it ends up with a loose fit that you aren't happy with. 

Haven't tried to magnetize a medium base yet, but that would be my suggestion. The U-wing is light enough that you shouldn't have to go with the metal bar through the center of the ship approach I have seen with Ghosts.

Yes, magnetize that U-wing.

You don't have to do the ball magnets, you can do two small disks. Just sand the peg on the ship down flat and epoxy/gorilla glue them down. Just be mindful that you get the polarization correct so they don't repel each other.

--------------------------

And DO contact customer service anyways. Include a picture. They will almost certainly replace the ship for you. They've been really great to me, helping replace damaged items.

1 hour ago, nikk whyte said:

so my saw's renegade pack got a little melty from being left in the back of my car (thanks georgia summer) and the peg on the bottom of my u-wing physically cant accept a peg inside it now. 

suggestions for fixing this? should i attempt to dremel it out or just clip it off an glue a peg directly to the hull? 

I've had good luck gluing clipped pegs onto the hulls of ships so far. Just make sure you sand it down smooth before trying to glue it on; it'll save you glued fingers and some frustration.

1 hour ago, nikk whyte said:

I'm going to go against magnetizing. Every magnetized ship I've seen flops around and looks terrible.

I made a miniGhost out of a micro-machines toy by putting a large peg into the bottom. I'm going to use a similar technique for my broken Z-95 where the peg split.

I would be very careful using a dremmel. They can go too fast for plastic, and melt it. I use a pin vice drill for modeling work.

2 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

Every magnetized ship I've seen flops around and looks terrible.

I kind of agree. I really don't like seeing the ships all derpy looking pointed at the ground or the ceiling.

Folks that use the ball bearing magnets especially have this problem, but if  you use flat ones, they don't flop, just twist, which isn't as terrible.

On my Decimator, The female receiver broke off . I removed the rest of it and glued on Neodymium Magnets on the underside of the hull where the peg went and cut off the male side of a peg to flatten it and glued on another mag. Again watch the polarities. I got the magnets at Michaels and they are 6.3 mm (0.25 in). It holds the ship perfectly, although it can spin around on the base.

I may go with the disk magnet option, but I've done the ball bearing method before and the heat here pops them off, even in my trunk and like 3 times removed from direct sunlight. i'd prefer not to have to keep re-gluing them together, so i'm gonna stick with pegs where possible. 

42 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

I may go with the disk magnet option, but I've done the ball bearing method before and the heat here pops them off, even in my trunk and like 3 times removed from direct sunlight. i'd prefer not to have to keep re-gluing them together, so i'm gonna stick with pegs where possible. 

Car = mostly sealed metal and glass box. Place metal and glass box in sun get solar oven. Store low melting point plastic items in solar oven and receive back plastic items that have lost a portion of their shape at best or plastic puddles at worst (depends on cumulative time in sun and ambient temp outside of box)... Direct sunlight is not needed to melt plastic miniatures in an enclosed space. The heat build up over time is sufficient. I strongly advise that, if able, find somewhere else to store your miniatures. Even parking in the shade where it is available is no guarantee that this won't happen again.

Edited by Hiemfire

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

Car = mostly sealed metal and glass box. Place metal and glass box in sun get solar oven. Store low melting point plastic items in solar oven and receive back plastic items that have lost a portion of their shape at best or plastic puddles at worst (depends on cumulative time in sun and ambient temp outside of box)... Direct sunlight is not needed to melt plastic miniatures in an enclosed space. The heat build up over time is sufficient. I strongly advise that, if able, find somewhere else to store your miniatures. Even parking in the shade where it is available is no guarantee that this won't happen again.

My entire x-wing collection lives in my trunk, and the only issues I've ever had come from the back seat (where this u-wing meltage occurred)

the trunk will do. 

3 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

May I suggest you stop storing your ships in the car? I don't mean to sound rude.

If possible that is; Storing the ships in a cooler place.

He drives a Dodge Viper.  It's pretty cool :)

disclaimer:  I have no idea what he drives 

Yeah, I was about to say, I've left my collect in 115+ degree weather. It was in the trunk though. No damage, ever and this is over multiple summers.

If you wanna get fancy, get a colored base kit, cut one of the pegs down to almost the size of the original and then shape the plastic to go into the original slot for the first peg. Should hold just fine with some glue.