Sign in to follow this  
TBot

Is 2.0 Corran Horn any good?

Havent seen much talk about him. He is more expensive, his ability got nerfed, r2d2 got nerfed. However he gained long range scanners, a hull, boost action, linked target locks, a better dial,  his initiative is only lower than fenn/vader/soontir/Han/Dengar/ Wedge, and proton torps have been buffed. 

He is a premium alpha striker with a double modded proton torpedoe attack and then the potential double tap at the end of the round. However his main problem is that he really wants his focus for offense to make sure that he gets 4 hits on the torpedo. Which creates a problem for defense. He will die fast with 3 green unmodded dice. So how do we keep corran alive while stile using his focus for offense?

CORAN UNTOUCHABLEHORN (198)

Corran horn (105)

-Elusive, R3, proton torps, advanced sensors, stealth device

Evaan Verlaine (45)

-ion cannon turret, selfless

Biggs (48)

Evaans ability plus stealth device gives corran 5 agility. Then biggs can leach a hit or crit and Evaan can leach a crit. Also elusive grants him 1 re roll. Its gonna be mighty hard to get a hit through on corran and pop the stealth device. Does this list have any legs? Is corran any good? Can his double tap and torpedoes make up for his parteners weak offense?

I flew Corran the other night with Daredevil, FCS and R4 (decrease difficulty of maneuvers droid).  FANTASTIC.  I paired him with Porkins (whos is great at staying engaged) and Garvin (to pass Corran an extra focus).
I whipped Super Vader and some Academy's.

Corran is still super good, its just much harder to line up that Bullseye.  I would suggest pairing him with some stuff that can stay engaged and distract while he jousts (i.e. corran should be doubletapping then flying out quickly, rinse/repeat).

R2 is also a fantastic choice to him.  

Funny story, if you got sensors or a coordinate buddy you can still acquire locks at range O ?

anyway, the E is ridiculously pricey. The ****** knave almost hits Luke Skywalker prices!

so eh, not really sold. Even a "minimum" of fcs + elusive + r3 corran hits 83(!!!!) Points

And Gaven, for as ridiculous as the new crits deck is, probably won't see play at 77 either 

Edited by ficklegreendice

43 minutes ago, Embir82 said:

He is good with Composure. Problem is, until the errata or some kind of FAQ hits, there will be a few people out there saying that it is not working combo.

I thought that didn't work since choosing an object for the TL action isn't a "may", therefore it was mandatory, and E-Wings would essentially always have a valid object. These are in the rules reference, am I missing something?:

Pg. 2 "All effects that are not “may” effects are mandatory"

Pg. 12 "2. Choose another object at range 0–3 [range 1-infinity for E-Wings, otherwise their ship ability is meaningless]"

11 minutes ago, YourHucklebrry said:

I thought that didn't work since choosing an object for the TL action isn't a "may", therefore it was mandatory, and E-Wings would essentially always have a valid object. These are in the rules reference, am I missing something?:

Pg. 2 "All effects that are not “may” effects are mandatory"

Pg. 12 "2. Choose another object at range 0–3 [range 1-infinity for E-Wings, otherwise their ship ability is meaningless]"

With only those rules I would agree with you, nontheless there is also this rule on page 12 of rules reference in 1st point:

"Measure range from the locking ship to any number of objects"

Player decides that he measures range to zero objects (zero is legit number). As a result locking action fails and "Composure" may trigger.

Edited by Embir82

10 minutes ago, Embir82 said:

With only those rules I would agree with you, nontheless there is also this rule on page 12 of rules reference in 1st point:

"Measure range from the locking ship to any number of objects"

Player decides that he measures range to zero objects (zero is legit number). As a result locking action fails and "Composure" may trigger.

Ahh gotcha. That makes sense, deliberately but legally circumventing the first part.

Edit: although in a strictly literal sense the second part is oddly independent of the first. Taking 'another' literally means you can't actually target lock something you measured to. Hopefully they clean that up.

Edited by YourHucklebrry

I've been looking at a few Corran lists, this feels decent and the first pass is great with Biggs taking the heat and ps killing something init 4 or less generally every game. Bombers especially hate this on the joust with their lack of shields.

Corran: Elusive, FCS, R4 Astro, Proton Torp (91)

Biggs: S-Foils, Proton Torps, R2 Astro (63)

Airen Cracken: Swarm Tactics (everyone shoots at I5 then), Concussion Missiles (45)

(200)

The card which fascinates me on Corran is Marksmanship.  He's got to line up the Bullseye anyhow, and getting extra crits through on ships which have already seen their tokens and shields dinged on the first attack seems nice.  Maybe Elusive is necessary to protect the points investment, though.

Idea!

Corran Horn + R3 Astromech + Fire-Control System + Elusive / Kyle Katarn + Perceptive Copilot + Moldy Crow / Wedge Antilles + Predator (servos obv) / 

[197] - eu for Kyle?

Kyle focus is real good for wedge mods or defensive corran mods. Moldy is no slouch in combat, either 

5 minutes ago, Giledhil said:

And then when errated, it won't work for sure.

Unless you are FFG worker or errata writer you don't know for sure.
In 1st edition there was C3PO card, and you were able to guess 0 number. So I wouldn't be suprised if the same ruling would be adopted there.
Alternatively, there might be change in point 2 of Lock procedure on page 12, introducing word "may", thus giving locker chance to decide if lock target in range 0-3 or not, thus making Composure + Corran combo available.

He's too expensive at the moment. He's basically as expensive as Luke when fully built and I think that Luke is just a tad bit more straightforward to fly for that cost range. He's not weak, but he just really needs to be about 10 points cheaper or so along with the rest of the E-Wings. 

I like the idea of building a high PS joust list around Corran with ships like Biggs, Evaan, Benthic, and others helping him out. Trajectory simulator is scary though and makes me not want to put this on the table. I can outjoust the punisher with 3 high PS ships with munitions, but having to worry about my stealth device popping before Corran shoots isn't very fun. 

As far as talents go on him, I think it's up in the air. Elusive, Marksmanship, Predator, and Lone Wolf seem like they fit well with him; Swarm Tactics if you plan on Jousting with him. I feel like Advanced Sensors, R4 Astromech, and Proton Torpedoes should be stapled to him because repositioning before movement is a must for beating swarms. Just some coffee thoughts.

1 hour ago, Embir82 said:

Unless you are FFG worker or errata writer you don't know for sure.
In 1st edition there was C3PO card, and you were able to guess 0 number. So I wouldn't be suprised if the same ruling would be adopted there.
Alternatively, there might be change in point 2 of Lock procedure on page 12, introducing word "may", thus giving locker chance to decide if lock target in range 0-3 or not, thus making Composure + Corran combo available.

For now on, 2.0 has been quite conservative with action economy compared to 1.0. So we can reliably, when seeing the cost of the card, that this "combo" was not intended. Thus the very high probability of getting it fixed soon.

47 minutes ago, Giledhil said:

For now on, 2.0 has been quite conservative with action economy compared to 1.0. So we can reliably, when seeing the cost of the card, that this "combo" was not intended. Thus the very high probability of getting it fixed soon.

It is not entirely true that 2.0 is that conservative with action economy - TIE Interceptors and A-Wings got "built in" small PtL, a lot of ships got linked actions, Redline got in practice full PtL that doesn't even stress him, same with Deathrain and Vader, also Luke with force in practice got permanent focus in addition to his normal actions.
Optimally built Corran Horn costs around or over 100 pts, and with this cost he is not even half as good as Rexler with Juke for 88 pts, who got green tocken stacking and white k-turn.
I can't see how Composure on E-Wing would be in any way overpowered, given the fact how much this ship costs.

3 hours ago, ThinkingB said:

He's too expensive at the moment. He's basically as expensive as Luke when fully built and I think that Luke is just a tad bit more straightforward to fly for that cost range. He's not weak, but he just really needs to be about 10 points cheaper or so along with the rest of the E-Wings. 

I like the idea of building a high PS joust list around Corran with ships like Biggs, Evaan, Benthic, and others helping him out. Trajectory simulator is scary though and makes me not want to put this on the table. I can outjoust the punisher with 3 high PS ships with munitions, but having to worry about my stealth device popping before Corran shoots isn't very fun. 

As far as talents go on him, I think it's up in the air. Elusive, Marksmanship, Predator, and Lone Wolf seem like they fit well with him; Swarm Tactics if you plan on Jousting with him. I feel like Advanced Sensors, R4 Astromech, and Proton Torpedoes should be stapled to him because repositioning before movement is a must for beating swarms. Just some coffee thoughts.

Ooooof. Good catch. Didnt even think about traj sim bombs popping corrans stealth device.

4 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Idea!

Corran Horn + R3 Astromech + Fire-Control System + Elusive / Kyle Katarn + Perceptive Copilot + Moldy Crow / Wedge Antilles + Predator (servos obv) / 

[197] - eu for Kyle?

Kyle focus is real good for wedge mods or defensive corran mods. Moldy is no slouch in combat, either 

I like this list, just sad there is no room for proton torps :(

Protorps are ridiculously expensive at 9 points, 

I've made like two lists were you can get them on reasonable pilots (basically Biggs, Torp dutch or wedge, then cracken or ap-5, the garven or Thane respectively

Garven Dreis (X-Wing) (47)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Biggs Darklighter (48)
R5 Astromech (5)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Airen Cracken (36)
Concussion Missiles (6)

"Dutch" Vander (42)
Ion Cannon Turret (6)
Proton Torpedoes (9)

Total: 199

Also made Luke (torps), wedge (torps), ap-5 (exists soley to focus wedge), and Sabine shuttle (she seems really good at 38 points)

But unless you build hard around them, there's almost never any room for them ?

4 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Protorps are ridiculously expensive at 9 points, 

I've made like two lists were you can get them on reasonable pilots (basically Biggs, Torp dutch or wedge, then cracken or ap-5, the garven or Thane respectively

Garven Dreis (X-Wing) (47)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Biggs Darklighter (48)
R5 Astromech (5)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Airen Cracken (36)
Concussion Missiles (6)

"Dutch" Vander (42)
Ion Cannon Turret (6)
Proton Torpedoes (9)

Total: 199

Also made Luke (torps), wedge (torps), ap-5 (exists soley to focus wedge), and Sabine shuttle (she seems really good at 38 points)

But unless you build hard around them, there's almost never any room for them ?

Out of curiosity why do you think proton torpedoes are ridiculously expensive? In 1.0 Harpoon Missiles plus extra munitions was 12 points (6 points x 2 to convert to 200 point scale) And we all know how potent harpoons were even without the condition.

Well, it's a relative term

They're costed fine, but in a second edition setting very few pilots can make them worth it. 9 points are steep as **** for very unreliable damage unless you can guarantee some mods, which generally seems to be a losing proposition when you could just get more reliable (and simply more numerous) ships instead

Unless you specifically build to include them, I wouldn't bother

11 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Well, it's a relative term

They're costed fine, but in a second edition setting very few pilots can make them worth it. 9 points are steep as **** for very unreliable damage unless you can guarantee some mods, which generally seems to be a losing proposition when you could just get more reliable (and simply more numerous) ships instead

Unless you specifically build to include them, I wouldn't bother

Fair enough. It is expensive to get the double mods for them and pay for the torps

At the moment, no, Corran is basically useless. At his current price, you are choosing between him or Supernatural Luke, which is a contest Corran wins exactly 0% of the time. Take 8-10 points off Corran's price and we can start to talk.