Sign in to follow this  
ringofox

What's the point in to buy a Core Set?

I think one reason to have default decks is so the rule books can reference certain card types and make sure you have all the types within the deck. So if the rules are explaining certain keywords, there will be a guaranteed example of it in one of the decks. If it was four randomized decks, you might not get that. 

1 hour ago, HaasBioroid said:

What does a core set have to do with competing in a tournament?

According to a leaked spreadsheet for the launch party, there is a 4 round tournament where you can use all four decks in a starter set. 

18 minutes ago, Ignithas said:

According to a leaked spreadsheet for the launch party, there is a 4 round tournament where you can use all four decks in a starter set. 

ok, i had seen the launch party thing but I didn't notice it would be with a starter set.  That's annoying.

Yeah, I think the starter box achieves a number of important goals.  As someone who's taught a lot of games, this starter set solves a lot of things at once.  Making a better new player experience is critical to making a game successful, I'm quite happy to see the attention put into it.

1)   The two known quantity decks are incredibly useful for learning the game and allow for deck specific getting started instructions.  This really smooths out the new player learning experience, and shouldn't be overlooked.  Once you're experienced I could see just gifting these on to new players to get them interested, which is a net positive for the game.

2) Get's counters and stuff out there, and this game does have fair amount of counters to track.   Again, to help reduce new player confusion (Is that dice representing damage, aember, stuns, etc) counters help a ton.

3) Getting 4 decks at once helps show how differently the game plays with varied decks, which is actually a key part of this design.  With only a single deck there's risk that some mechanics won't appeal to a new player, this smooths that issue out as well.  4 decks in a starter also allows you to start teaching multiple people at a time.

I'll  buy it when I see it "on sale" because I like the art and if the box is decent I'll keep my decks in it. I'm a token lover too- I enjoy painting the edges. Plus, I can use the non-random decks to lure friends into buying their own deck(s). I may even give 'em away to a child or someone new to games.

On 9/6/2018 at 7:56 AM, ringofox said:

Fair enough, but what about this: you want to try the game? 9,95 dolars, open, and play. Why 40 bucks??

It's not $10, open and play. There are counters and lots of them and there is printing a rulebook to know how to play and use as a reference and there's finding another person who has been willing to pay $10. You can do all that or you can pay $40 (closer to $30 online) and have everything you need to play with anyone who wants to try it out. Core is a bargain for me, especially since I want the game to succeed and want to teach it a lot.

On 9/10/2018 at 11:33 AM, HaasBioroid said:

ok, i had seen the launch party thing but I didn't notice it would be with a starter set.  That's annoying.

I love that idea and hope to run one or play in one.

Just so I’m clear, in the box you get...

2 different but not unique decks that teach you to play but can also be used in a general game if you want, and 2 completely unique sealed decks, so 4 in total, aember tokens, rules and a chain tracker?

If so I think splitting 2 cores between 4 people will be fine because anything can be a token and they are giving out an extra chain tracker at the launch party to every player?  Or do you think official events will require you to have a core copy of everything, including tokens?

10 minutes ago, Bakura83 said:

If so I think splitting 2 cores between 4 people will be fine because anything can be a token and they are giving out an extra chain tracker at the launch party to every player?  Or do you think official events will require you to have a core copy of everything, including tokens?

If you're not worried about tokens and not planning on teaching anyone who won't grasp the game quickly, the only reason to buy any cores at all is if there's an event that needs them, or if the single-deck packs are a few weeks later than the base game.

2 hours ago, Bakura83 said:

Just so I’m clear, in the box you get...

2 different but not unique decks that teach you to play but can also be used in a general game if you want, and 2 completely unique sealed decks, so 4 in total, aember tokens, rules and a chain tracker?

Slightly more.  Everything you listed, plus 22 damage tokens, 10 power and 10 stun cards, and 6 keys.  The quality of all the tokens remains to be seen, and using cards for added power or stun seems a little clunky to me, but there is definitely stuff in the starter that will make playing the game easier.

I've actually made all my own tokens and keys and whatnot but I still plan to buy a starter for a nice copy of the rules, the teaching decks, and extra tokens to either give away or use at a game night for people that just want to try the game out among themselves.

On 9/6/2018 at 3:13 AM, ringofox said:

Beyond some tokens (that can be replaced VERY easily for EVEN BETTER components we have in our houses) and rulebooks (that we can find online, and also gonna be updated periodically) whats the point in to buy a Core Set?.

I would prefer to buy 4 different decks for the same price than only two! (remember theres two basic decks to learn the play in the core box).

Toughts?

Having read the thread, you seem to be missing a few important things. First and foremost, the core set is not geared towards advanced gamers. You will more than likely find this on the shelves at Target and other mass marketers where the true casual gamers are found. Second, you can't seem to get past the fact that not everyone who is an advanced gamer doesn't think like you. 

Your choice to not want to buy the core set is fine for you, but to say that it's worthless, etc shows a complete lack of understanding on your part. I cut my gaming teeth on war games back in 1975 including having played the entire Campaign For North Africa, and owned a gaming store from 1995-2002, being one of the first stores in the US to import Catan from Germany in 1995. So I've see and experienced a lot in this hobby. This format intrigues me and I'm actually running the pre-launch event for my local FLGS.

Keep in mind, not every game and it's elements are not designed specific for you. Once you accept that, you have a much less stressful gaming experience.

Edited by sabrjay
wording change

On 9/8/2018 at 6:21 PM, Palpster said:

What you mean to say is that they hold no value to YOU since you are apparently only interested in Organized Play. What you fail to see is that to the majority of consumers the starter decks are just as much a deck as the unique ones are. And therefore $40 for 4 decks and tokens will be perfectly reasonable to a lot of people.

Very well made point.  At the same time, it's still $40 for decks that have a very narrow range of uses.  Whether I ever decide to play OP events or not, I'm glad for the information about the starter, so that I don't spend money on it that I will view as wasted.

I think in a proper organized play, players have to bring their own tokens n 3 Keys. I would wonder if that meant only official keys from ffg will be allowed or else itd be confusing if everyone brought in all manner of tokens to represent the keys n etc. Hence getting the base game might be ideal. I myself might change the amber tokens for those clear acrylic amber crystals..  

Edited by meowgod