Duciris

Return to the Dunwich Legacy

Would it really have hurt them to have included Return to the Gathering, Midnight Masks and Devourer Below dividers as well in the first one? A few blanks wouldnt hurt either.

The boxes are way too big as well for just the one cycle, maybe we would store tokens etc in this first box, the other ones we get could be alot smaller.

Edited by Fewzz

10 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

That actually sounds like a great idea, yeah. Didn't know that option was there, though I might have done that anyway. Not that I bought Return to the Zealot, but it would have irked me to play it without some of the cards that fit the story. 

The story isn't drastically changed, it just offers a new feel to the sameness of a campaign nearly all of us have played more than any other.

I'll elaborate on the first scenario changes with minimal spoilers.

The gameplay changes include a different Act I card and a different Parlor.  The Parlor is connected to new locations within the house, and both the Attic and Basement have alternate cards the way that Southside and Downtown do, so you shuffle those and keep only 1.  When playing this game normally, I always know that I'll take 1 horror if I go into the Attic and the Basement has 4 Shroud.  With the alternate locations, that's out the window.

The Ghoul Priest & Lita Chantler are still the same and revealed the same way, but there are other things crawling around the house in search of you.

Edited by Duciris
Spoiler Tag issues

I didn't mean locations, yeah, I understand those. What I meant was more the encounter cards. Just taking some encounter cards out and replacing them seems a bit of a waste to me. If they are thematic, I'd probably put them back in. Like, taking out Ghoul Minions and Grasping Hands in Return to the Gathering. Seems like a bit of a waste? 

Edited by Eldan985

in my mind, they add aternative encounter set for give by them a feeling specific to some scenarios. So I would keep the classical ghoul set and replace the ravenous ghoul by the Adept for the first scenario, because all these cards feel housy, or adapted to the situation. And in the last scenario, keep the ravenous, and take the chill from behind, and the new basic gouls, because the art seem more adapted to this forest-one play. Make the play in your own way ^^ All I know is I would remove cards at luck. I will take all the new-ones, or choices those who are thematic for the scenario. 

2 hours ago, Carthoris said:

OK. I adore the art on that Naomi card.

Oh, Man, yeah!  That is amazing art.  The dainty red glove on her hand that, - no - that's not a glove.  And the word 'Milk' behind her makes me want to call her "the Milk Maid" which I assume will get me killed.  I like the expanding mythology that Naomi is the daughter of the O'Bannon kingpin.

2 hours ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

Maybe she becomes a story asset in that scenario. It could explain why there are an odd amount of player cards

She does.  It's in the article.

The more I think of it, they could just eliminate some encounter sets like "Rats".

Its not a big deal to include 3 weak enemies in the new Clover Club scenario cards.

17 minutes ago, Jobu said:

The more I think of it, they could just eliminate some encounter sets like "Rats".

Its not a big deal to include 3 weak enemies in the new Clover Club scenario cards.

That's been my assumption.  I think the new encounter sets and scenario cards will make the Return version of the campaign self-contained.  That will let you store everything you need to play it in this one box while your core encounter sets stay in your RotNotZ box. 

I predict that Rats, Nightgaunts, and Locked Doors will get scenario card replacements while five other core sets will get replaced completely.  I base this on the numbers and cards revealed in the original announcement. (apologies if I said this earlier in the thread.  I've been stumping on this idea for a while in various places).

Edited by CSerpent

20 hours ago, CSerpent said:

Odd that Naomi has the Return to Where Doom Awaits scenario icon.

Most likely they used that as a place holder in the artwork until they get the real icon done. They'll do that from time to time on the preview articles.

29 minutes ago, Mep said:

Most likely they used that as a place holder in the artwork until they get the real icon done. They'll do that from time to time on the preview articles.

Maybe.  They show the Return to House icon on the other card, though.

18 hours ago, CSerpent said:

Je prédis que Rats, Nightgaunts et Locked Doors obtiendront des cartes de scénario de remplacement tandis que cinq autres ensembles de base seront remplacés complètement. Je me base sur les chiffres et les cartes révélés dans l'annonce originale. (Toutes mes excuses si je l’ai dit plus tôt dans le fil de discussion. Cela fait un moment que je me suis arrêté sur cette idée à divers endroits).

I think you are right, but just made a mistake. I made a probalistic table, and my conclusion are without a single doubt replacement set for Locked Doors, Chilling Cold, Agents of Yog, Ancient Evil, Strilking Fear, The Beyond. So locked door is replaced, but not the basics cultists who just appear in Essex Express.

1 hour ago, CSerpent said:

Maybe.  They show the Return to House icon on the other card, though.

Bear in mind that it is When Doom Awaits that has (spoilers for When Doom Awaits, in case there is anyone who is reading this thread who hasn't played through it...)

the "If Naomi has the investigators' backs" condition during setup. It could be that instead of Naomi giving you free clues she actually comes in person to help you instead! Maybe it will still be Peter Clover who can turn up in Return to The House Always Wins.

12 minutes ago, Assussanni said:

Bear in mind that it is When Doom Awaits that has (spoilers for When Doom Awaits, in case there is anyone who is reading this thread who hasn't played through it...)

Reveal hidden contents

the "If Naomi has the investigators' backs" condition during setup. It could be that instead of Naomi giving you free clues she actually comes in person to help you instead! Maybe it will still be Peter Clover who can turn up in Return to The House Always Wins.

Right, that's what I figured.  I've never had that story path, though, crazy enough.

3 hours ago, phorcys12 said:

I think you are right, but just made a mistake. I made a probalistic table, and my conclusion are without a single doubt replacement set for Locked Doors, Chilling Cold, Agents of Yog, Ancient Evil, Strilking Fear, The Beyond. So locked door is replaced, but not the basics cultists who just appear in Essex Express.

I'd like to see this table of yours. Anyway, there's no need to replace one-offs like the basic cultists, since they can just add the replacements directly to the scenario set (so the new cultists show up in "Return to Essex County" rather than "Dark Cults 2: Cult Darker!").

Regarding Where Doom Awaits and Naomi, its spoiled in the article that an achievement called "Remind me not to piss her off" has something to do with beating the final encounter of Where Doom Awaits with Naomi in play.  

4 hours ago, CSerpent said:

Right, that's what I figured.  I've never had that story path, though, crazy enough.

Oddly enough, Naomi has never NOT had my back. With the new art, now I have a better understanding of just how serious she is. 

Yikes.

14 hours ago, rsdockery said:

I'd like to see this table of yours. Anyway, there's no need to replace one-offs like the basic cultists, since they can just add the replacements directly to the scenario set (so the new cultists show up in "Return to Essex County" rather than "Dark Cults 2: Cult Darker!").

OK ^^ In fact, I just say probalistic table for mean the serious of my research. The first part is just a look to details in one picture, the one who is at the start of this topic and of the annoucement of this product, which the box and some cards in front of it. If you look, you will see there is the reference cards for each of the eight scenarios. They are not in the order. We cannot read them, but we could have a pixelised look at the replacements sets icons. Not enough for recognize all of them. If you zoom on them, you just can recognize two moreover the two revealed ( agents and ancient evil ). By starting at the left, the fourth one, for Where Doom Awaits. Just recognize the triangle icon of Chilling cold, which now change for a black thunderous cloud. And now by starting at the right, on the second one, you can recognize the Locked Door symbol. 

After all of this, just been able to say on each of these reference cards how many new replacement sets are used, by the disposition of those we see on each of them. So, from the left to the right : Lost in Time and Space, 2; Miskatonic Museum, 3; Undimensioned and Unseen, 1; Where doom awaits, 3; Blood on the Altar, 1; Essex County Express, 3; Extracullar activites, 4; The House Always Win, 1.   

From there, just try different configuration ( with 6 different sets ) and look which is correct with this. I just supposed that a replacement set is used in EVERY scenario where the original set is used. So first try with those I wanted to see, Abominations, Altered Beast, Bishop Thralls ( Because I love monsters ^^ ) but that wasn't good at all. And finally, found the last two who just made it correct : Striking Fear, and Beyond. 

Just a point, I just see after found all the sets, that each of the set who come from the core, and who are used 2 time or more are replace. All of those who are used only one time are not replace. Possibly a law that will follow the other Return to product, we will see. 

Oh, and something like a month after my search, I found on spanish website a picture, who contains new picture of 5 cards ( including encounters ) of the Return to. There are two dividers, who are named ( I traduct them ) " Beyond the Thresshold", possibly the replacement of "The Beyond". And " Erratic Fear" which replace " striking fear". So all are now know ^^ If you want to have a look at some cards unrevealled, I let here the link of the spanish one - there is one player card, and four encounters cards.  Oh, and on a side of the box, you can also see an illustration of a card whoch seems to be part of Lost in Time and Space.     http://www.fantasyflightgames.es/juegos/articulo/arkham_horror_el_juego_de_cartas/regreso_a_el_legado_de_dunwich

I can translate only a part of it. The rest is hidden by the card beneath.  So 2xp, 3 ressources. 2 intellect and 1will icons. 

The text say : '' choose an asset controlled by an investigator in your location. Choose one option  - Place one token ammo or supply on this asset. .... ''

The rest is too pixelised to permite me to traduct. But the interest of the card is probably in the option, giving you the choice about what to increase on it. The second option is perhaps an increasinng domages if this is a weapon ?? 

New article.

ahc28_card_through-the-gates.pngahc28_card_bandolier.pngahc28_card_preposterous-sketches.pngahc28_card_rise-to-the-occasion.png

I'm assuming that Through the Gates then shuffles your deck?

Return to the Dunwich Legacy provides you with 23 new player cards to integrate into any deck, allowing you to pursue new deckbuilding opportunities and opening a new world of madness, whether you return to The Dunwich Legacy or enter a different campaign.

1. Bandolier
  2. n/a
  3. Preposterous Sketches
  4. Strange Solution - Empowered Elixir
  5. n/a
  6. Think on Your Feet
  7. n/a
  8. Clarity of Mind
  9. n/a
  10. Rise to the Occasion
  11. Through the Gates

52. Naomi O'Bannion