Duciris

Return to the Dunwich Legacy

For curiosity what does this expansions do? I mean are they worth it? I dont understand them very well.. Askijg this cause i have core base and was thinking on the returno of zealoth

13 minutes ago, gmcc said:

For curiosity what does this expansions do? I mean are they worth it? I dont understand them very well.. Askijg this cause i have core base and was thinking on the returno of zealoth

It does three things-

1)it gives you a pretty storage solution for the campaign, box and dividers

2)Alternate cards/encounter sets to give you a slightly different playthrough experience for the campaign

3) a few new player cards to use

I am not happy about this. RttNotZ was meant to bring Night of the Zealot in line with other campaigns. Dunwich Legacy felt finished already  and I don't want to have to buy an additional version of each campaign. The storage box and dividers seem a bit useless considering there are no dividers for any other type of card.

True but it would be nice to get rid of the cards which are used in other campaigns. I like to transport my stuff from time to time and it would be great to have one complete campaign in a box so that you only need player cards aside from that. The flavor isnt really an issue imho. 

Hi, all. It’s going to be several months before I even get a regular group to play the Dunwich Legacy with. All I have are the core sets. Can I just get this deluxe box as our first Dunwich Legacy experience?

On 9/10/2018 at 12:30 PM, Eldan985 said:

I mean, that's fair, but on the other hand, I'd hate to think of some cards never being used again.

In my perfect world they would use each of the encounter sets from core only in one of the cycles published and never again. That way it could be put in that return to box to be used and does not conflict with other campaigns.  

5 hours ago, Lorien5678 said:

In my perfect world they would use each of the encounter sets from core only in one of the cycles published and never again. That way it could be put in that return to box to be used and does not conflict with other campaigns.  

What conflicts.  The only conflict I see is if you ptebuild the encounter deck for every scenario under the sun.

8 minutes ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

What conflicts.  The only conflict I see is if you ptebuild the encounter deck for every scenario under the sun.

Not for every scenario, but every cycle. For example, if Dunwich used Rats and no other campaign used it, you could forever keep Rats in your Return to Dunwich box.

It's not just encounter sets, though.  Forbidden Age uses locations from one of the core scenarios (which, okay, I guess technically is still an encounter set), and I'd say it's a sure bet that it will happen again.

Edited by CSerpent

You know what I just remembered that I'd actually quite like to see here?

Investigator traits that mean more. There's 5 or 6 allies that have the Miskatonic trait and two investigators, Norman and Daisy. Half the story is about Miskatonic and two scenarios are set in Miskatonic locations. I'd actually quite like if that did something here, maybe like with Lola Hayes in Carcosa. Daisy Walker starts in the Orne Library, Norman Withers starts in the new observatory? Or they have a small advantage when researchign there? That would be fun.

Edit: I mean, they are never going to do it, but "Daisy Walker may spend her extra action for actions on tome items as the extra action required to investigate  the Orne Library". 

Always thought it's a bit of a shame how little those traits do. You have no idea how much I'd love if there was a scenario later on where there's an Agency presence and you'd get +2 to a parley check if you had a card with the Agency Trait or something.

Edited by Eldan985

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:57 AM, Eldan985 said:

You know what I just remembered that I'd actually quite like to see here?

Investigator traits that mean more. There's 5 or 6 allies that have the Miskatonic trait and two investigators, Norman and Daisy. Half the story is about Miskatonic and two scenarios are set in Miskatonic locations. I'd actually quite like if that did something here, maybe like with Lola Hayes in Carcosa. Daisy Walker starts in the Orne Library, Norman Withers starts in the new observatory? Or they have a small advantage when researchign there? That would be fun.

Edit: I mean, they are never going to do it, but "Daisy Walker may spend her extra action for actions on tome items as the extra action required to investigate  the Orne Library". 

Always thought it's a bit of a shame how little those traits do. You have no idea how much I'd love if there was a scenario later on where there's an Agency presence and you'd get +2 to a parley check if you had a card with the Agency Trait or something.

It's in the LCG norm for cards to have traits/keywords.  Then, over time they add cards that interact with those keywords.  We really haven't seen that in AH, and I wonder why.

We have 1 each of Agency, Artist, Assistant, Cursed, Detective, Hunter, Medic, Reporter.  Then, we have 2 each of Believer, Criminal, Miskatonic, Veteran, Warden, & Wayfarer; 3 of both Performer & Sorcerer; and 5 with Drifter.

Edited by Duciris
Can't copy'n'paste

2 hours ago, Duciris said:

We have 1 each of Assistant, Cursed, Detective, Drifter, Drifter, Drifter, Drifter, Hunter, Medic, Reporter.  Then, we have 2 each of Believer, Criminal, Miskatonic, Veteran, Warden, & Wayfarer; 3 of both Performer & Sorcerer; and 5 with Drifter.

???

1 hour ago, rsdockery said:

???

:lol:

Can't trust anything I do anymore!

2 hours ago, Khudzlin said:

There are cards that interact with traits in Arkham Horror, like Crypt Chill (Item assets) or Uncage the Soul (Spell), and many investigators. Just none that interact with investigators' traits.

Exactly.  I know it's a form of futureproofing (so they don't have to errata characters into having traits after they find a use for them), but it's odd we haven't seen anything for it.  I would have expected something like "reduce the cost to play this card by 1 for each drifter at your location" or "After you play this card, if you are a criminal - gain 1 resource."

Yeah, exactly. I'm wondering why they have never done anything with those traits. "Parley with Peter Clover, +2 if you are a criminal". "The catacombs: -2 shroud if you are a believer". "If you are a veteran, the soldier gives you 1 resource". Just things like that would add a lot, I think.

21 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

Yeah, exactly. I'm wondering why they have never done anything with those traits. "Parley with Peter Clover, +2 if you are a criminal". "The catacombs: -2 shroud if you are a believer". "If you are a veteran, the soldier gives you 1 resource". Just things like that would add a lot, I think.

Great. Now i want this to happen

I liked the first, and I like this even more as it may mean we’ll eventually get four boxes.  I’ve now decide against getting an art case to hold everything.  The two core sets seem spacious enough to handle all the investigator cards and now I have a plan for the rest.

On 9/9/2018 at 5:39 PM, Sindriss said:

I am not happy about this. RttNotZ was meant to bring Night of the Zealot in line with other campaigns. Dunwich Legacy felt finished already  and I don't want to have to buy an additional version of each campaign. The storage box and dividers seem a bit useless considering there are no dividers for any other type of card.

I'm with you (in the apparent minority). Absolutely love this game and was happy about Return to the Night of the Zealot to flesh that campaign out a bit, but in general any given game that starts printing a bunch of "Return to..." expansions tends to strike me as a death knell. I'll have no use for the boxes -- I'd have thought that anyone with a full collection up to this point has already of necessity come up with a storage solution -- and I don't really have any desire to re-experience those already-complete campaigns. (I feel like we can do that by using different investigators anyway.) So ultimately for me it's a just a mythos pack that costs double that I'm forced to buy if I want the cards... so probably a pass. I'd have loved to see some more standalone scenarios instead, those have always been great.

2 thoughts:

First, LotR LCG has Nightmare expansions which up the difficulty (I believe) of a given cycle.  It comes as little surprise to me that they're doing something similar here, although I really like that they've focused more on story changes rather than difficulty.

Second, I really like the randomizing rules set.

As an optional variant, for added chaos and replayability, you may choose to shuffle the old encounter set and the new one together, then randomly select a number of those cards to create a new encounter set. The total number of cards in the new encounter set should be the same as the number of cards in the original set (7 cards for Ghouls + Ghouls of Umôrdhoth and 6 cards for Dark Cult + The Devourer’s Cult).

I finally started playing Return to the Night of the Zealot yesterday, and as a first run and test of what changes were made every time I was supposed to use random options (say for the Attic & Basement in The Gathering) I opted to choose the new ones.  That said, between the official changes (Attic & Basement) and variant changes (mixing of encounter sets), it will be very difficult to know which twists await me in a scripted game I already know so well.  That's pretty neat.

So far (2 of 3 scenarios), I really like the changes in gameplay.  If they can add this vibrancy to an entire campaign, I'm going to be very, very pleased.

That actually sounds like a great idea, yeah. Didn't know that option was there, though I might have done that anyway. Not that I bought Return to the Zealot, but it would have irked me to play it without some of the cards that fit the story.