Duciris

Return to the Dunwich Legacy

So 6 replacement encounter sets.  The Dunwich Legacy uses 8 encounter sets from the core.  So we are looking at most but not all of them.  Care to guess which ones?  Locked Doors, Rats, Striking Fear, Chilling Cold, Dark Cult and Nightgaunts.  We already know Ancient Evils and Agents of Yogsothoth are replaced.  My guess is Rats and Locked Doors stay.

I see a new Clarity of Mind and of course more options for Strange Solutions.

Q4 is nice.  Of course it seems to drop at about the same time as the Forgotten Age finishes. and I don't start a scenario until such time as I have all the mythos packs.  Will be an interesting time for sure.

58 minutes ago, Jobu said:

So 6 replacement encounter sets.  The Dunwich Legacy uses 8 encounter sets from the core.  So we are looking at most but not all of them.  Care to guess which ones?  Locked Doors, Rats, Striking Fear, Chilling Cold, Dark Cult and Nightgaunts.  We already know Ancient Evils and Agents of Yogsothoth are replaced.  My guess is Rats and Locked Doors stay.

I see a new Clarity of Mind and of course more options for Strange Solutions.

RttNotZ had "Return to The Gathering", etc.  So it depends on whether those count as Encounter Sets.  Enthralled Security Guard looks to belong to Return to Extracurricular Activities, based on its set icon.  Also a new Agenda card for Essex.

edit: just read closer and no, those are just changes to the scenarios, not encounter sets in their own right.

There's a Think On Your Feet there, too.

Edited by CSerpent

81 new encounter cards

23 new player cards

It seems we'll get card(s) without their respective duplicate(s)? Maybe a weakness?

Edited by Zsig

30 minutes ago, Zsig said:

81 new encounter cards

23 new player cards

It seems we'll get card(s) without their respective duplicate(s)? Maybe a weakness?

I would imagine 11 new player card ugrades (2 per class plus 1 neutral) and one basic weakness.  Of course the player cards would be duplicates as is FFGs Arkham horror card game release (core set excluded).  Another guess is 10 cards and any where from one upgradeable basic weakness (ala forgotten age) to 3 basic weaknesses. 

2 hours ago, CSerpent said:

RttNotZ had "Return to The Gathering", etc.  So it depends on whether those count as Encounter Sets.  Enthralled Security Guard looks to belong to Return to Extracurricular Activities, based on its set icon.  Also a new Agenda card for Essex.

edit: just read closer and no, those are just changes to the scenarios, not encounter sets in their own right.

There's a Think On Your Feet there, too.

You know its also possible that they are replacing encounter sets found within the Dunwich legacy itself as well.  eg replace "Whipporwhills" with  "Whipporwills on Steroids"

That seems a little meh to me since Whipporwills are already pretty perfect for Dunwich.  But you never know.

2 hours ago, Duciris said:

At least 1 new upgraded version of Strange Solution!

Other features:

• 104 new cards
  • 32 dividers
  • 1 premium box (which looks suspiciously familiar)

So 32 dividers.....

8 for the scenarios themselves.

6 for the new replacement sets

10 for the original encounter sets in Dunwich (although one of them is just Armitage)

8 for the original encounter sets from the core that it uses.

Thats 32.  Did I miss anything?

Also, where did you get the 32?  I can't find it.  Never mind found it.  Reminder, read to the end.

Edited by Jobu

4 hours ago, Duciris said:
  • 1 premium box (which looks suspiciously familiar)

.... shut up, you had me a premium box. How can FFG get away with selling us the exact same thing over and over again by just putting it in a new pretty box.

The one box certainly wasn't enough. Two might work out but I KNOW 3 boxes will hold everything. Just gotta keep the leftovers in a white box until Q2 of next year when we can buy the same thing over again, again, again....

I'm honestly hoping that we get some duplicate sets of the ones from the core set. It says this will hold the entire campaign, and I'm hoping that means it will without having to cannibalize sets from one box to the other.

Coming from LotR, that's been my biggest storage gripe with this game; that the encounter sets from the base game are used over and over and over again so I cannot just keep a full set of the campaign in one spot, I have to go back to the core to pull out others. A huge pain? No, to be sure. But one that I'm really hoping is alleviated by the "Return to..." sets.

Fantasy Flight Games should do the right thing and provide the used sets from core box as part of these "premium" upgrades. That way we can have scenarios rebuild after we make an investement to this product. I know they wish to maximize sales, but I believe the sales will be higher if you offer added value to players.

2 hours ago, Venomlemon said:

Fantasy Flight Games should do the right thing and provide the used sets from core box as part of these "premium" upgrades. That way we can have scenarios rebuild after we make an investement to this product. I know they wish to maximize sales, but I believe the sales will be higher if you offer added value to players.

If FFG were doing the right thing by the players, there'd be an add-on pack for core to get you to playsets of all the Investigator cards (possibly with additional copies of Neutral cards and basic weaknesses) without needing to buy an additional Core set.

In some of the LCGs, I don't overly mind the multiple Core model, but given you only need one set of the Mythos cards, there is a lot of wastage in buying two sets.

Though, having said that, it does seem to be the solution to what some of you were mentioning above about wanting the encounter sets for Dunwich in the Dunwich deluxe box...

4 hours ago, dysartes said:

If FFG were doing the right thing by the players, there'd be an add-on pack for core to get you to playsets of all the Investigator cards (possibly with additional copies of Neutral cards and basic weaknesses) without needing to buy an additional Core set.

This is beside the point, but such a product (which I'd love) wouldn't include basic weaknesses -- you're only supposed to use one set of those no matter how many cores you have.

18 hours ago, Jobu said:

Upon seeing the component spread above, I notice there are 3 (or at least 3) dividers that have the same light brownish color as the dividers from the "Return to the Night of the Zealot" while the stack right beside it has a different color (greenish/yellowish) which I assume are the dividers from The Dunwich Legacy cycle.

This leads me to believe that at least 3 encounter sets from the original box will get replacement cards. It seems Ancient Evils and Agents of Yogsothoth are already confirmed, so at least one more is coming... maybe rats or locked doors.

I'm going to guess Chilling Cold and Nightgaunts get replacements.  Chilling Cold doesn't make much sense in Miskatonic Museum (except for the art on Obscuring Fog, which is legacy art).  Nightgaunts could be a more thematic enemy.

I've always felt that not having Naomi's Crew in Blood on the Altar is meant to be a reward but in actuality makes the encounter deck harder, since the cards in Crew are almost all pretty easy.  I wonder if that will be tweaked.

I also wonder if we'll get more background on The Experiment and/or the Thralls.  There's a lot of story implied, and I don't necessarily want everything explained (the bane of horror storytelling), but a few more hints would be cool.

Edited by CSerpent

46 minutes ago, CSerpent said:

I've always felt that not having Naomi's Crew in Blood on the Altar is meant to be a reward but in actuality makes the encounter deck harder, since the cards in Crew are almost all pretty easy.  I wonder if that will be tweaked.

The campaign tends to punish you for doing well or doing the "smart" thing.  Taking the Necronomicon in The Miskatonic Museum is the "wrong" choice and thus punishes you with a token, however, it gives a better result (reward) in Blood on the Alter and makes Undimensioned and Unseen more achievable.  Meanwhile, succeeding well (rescuing more hostages) in Blood on the Alter, nets you more Broods of Yog-Sothoth in Undimensioned and Unseen.  It doesn't surprise me that the less desirable outcome from The House Always Wins yields easier results later.

This resembles the rubber-band-effect in Mario Kart: Double Dash (which was mysteriously missing in Mario Kart: Wii).  This effect allowed players (and NPCs) who were farther behind to get better weapons than those in front.  It was a catchup mechanic that prevented easy blowouts.  It balanced skill with luck.  It doesn't prevent the better player from winning, but it does keep the pack closer together by making the game easier for those who are not doing as well.

In AH, it seems like the game assumes that the better you're doing, the more you can handle.

59 minutes ago, Duciris said:

The campaign tends to punish you for doing well or doing the "smart" thing.  Taking the Necronomicon in The Miskatonic Museum is the "wrong" choice and thus punishes you with a token, however, it gives a better result (reward) in Blood on the Alter and makes Undimensioned and Unseen more achievable.  Meanwhile, succeeding well (rescuing more hostages) in Blood on the Alter, nets you more Broods of Yog-Sothoth in Undimensioned and Unseen.  It doesn't surprise me that the less desirable outcome from The House Always Wins yields easier results later.

This resembles the rubber-band-effect in Mario Kart: Double Dash (which was mysteriously missing in Mario Kart: Wii).  This effect allowed players (and NPCs) who were farther behind to get better weapons than those in front.  It was a catchup mechanic that prevented easy blowouts.  It balanced skill with luck.  It doesn't prevent the better player from winning, but it does keep the pack closer together by making the game easier for those who are not doing as well.

In AH, it seems like the game assumes that the better you're doing, the more you can handle.

I suppose that's true.  If adding Naomi's Crew is meant as a catch-up, then making it seem like a penalty on the surface is some exceptional design.

To me, it sounds like we're getting three replacement sets for the original encounter sets from the core which are only being used for the Dunwich Legacy campaign. Not this would be the dream if that were to happen

One of the issues I have with Dunwich in general is the amount of treacheries that make you discard cards from your hand and deck, mess with assets in play or punish card draw.

Not that I mind a tough game, but these effects are more about shutting down your deck than making obstacles for your deck to overcome.  I think it was a poor choice for the first full length campaign.  It leads to some specific deck design to counter, specifically more resource generation, less card draw and an advantage to clumping card types into one area (asset, event, skill) or at least bailing on one of the types.  It also makes using card combos less effective/viable.  All in all, it does lead to a very emotional game and always feeling like you are one draw away from getting trashed, which is nice but I still don't think it was the best choice for the first one.

They could address this in the Return but I doubt they will.

On 9/5/2018 at 2:37 PM, Jobu said:

Rats, Dark Cult, and Nightgaunts are only in one scenario each, so they could get replaced in the appropriate "Return to X" set. That would let them cover every encounter set and still have a replacement available for one of the Dunwich sets. They could even conceivably drop Chilling Cold or Locked Doors, both of which are in two scenarios apiece, and replace them with encounter-specific treacheries.

How about this idea (edit: which I now see is kind of what rsdockery is getting at): the new encounter sets and the "Return to X" cards make this independent of the core.  So the Return campaign then becomes a self-contained box, though it would still require the original Dunwich Legacy. 

Done that way, someone could technically just buy Dunwich and Return without owning a core, but who would do that?

Edited by CSerpent