Sign in to follow this  
player2422845

Rebel TIE/ln : What it is good for?

So Scum players can't use rebel (or repainted) Z-95 and Y-wings? And how the **** do mirror matches work, six X-wings on the table and the game just crashes because no one knows which ship is his?

This is simply false. The rule for multi faction ships, since they stated doing those with Scum, was always you can use models from other factions, and no TO can do anything about it.

The assumption is that you know which ships are yours.

edit: Repainting a Rebel TIE to look like an Imperial TIE is not a mod to make it look like another ship because there is no "Rebel" or "Imperial" TIE, it's the same ship, "TIE/ln Fighter".

Edited by eMeM

2 hours ago, eMeM said:

So Scum players can't use rebel Z-95 and Y-wings?

That's a good point. You're right. I've never used 'scum' zeds or Y-wing as rebels or vice versa, and my interpretation seems less valid in that scenario. In 1.0 if you have rebel TIE cards etc. then you should have a rebel TIE model, so if you choose to take an imp TIE you're deliberately taking the wrong model. That is where my thinking was at. That is not the case in 2.0 as the cards etc. are in the kits (as the OP stated). You guys are correct.

33 minutes ago, BVRCH said:

That's a good point. You're right. I've never used 'scum' zeds or Y-wing as rebels or vice versa, and my interpretation seems less valid in that scenario. In 1.0 if you have rebel TIE cards etc. then you should have a rebel TIE model, so if you choose to take an imp TIE you're deliberately taking the wrong model. That is where my thinking was at. That is not the case in 2.0 as the cards etc. are in the kits (as the OP stated). You guys are correct.

With just one expansion you could in theory run two if you had an imperial model as you have two bases.

16 hours ago, player2422845 said:

So few days before V2, and I am exploring the ship I am not that familiar with. People legitimately asked what was the role of a Awing in V2, and suddenly, I asked myself " where is the captured Tie title? Where is the illicit slot? What should I do with this ship?"

OK, it is cheap. But I doubt we are supposed to fit 4 of them in a squad... Any ideas?

I hope this ship will be buried and forgotten when it comes to Rebel faction - it is just so stupid that Rebels have access to TIE Fighter painted like a circus wagon. This ship is the most anticlimatic and infantile creation in this game - the only true moment when FFG jumped the shark when it comes to ships (next to Jumpmaster).

4 minutes ago, Embir82 said:

This ship is the most anticlimatic and infantile creation in this game -

I really don't like SW rebels show. I am not found of the rebel tie. But I have to admit that the captured Tie title was a interesting idea, with kind of cool mechanic. The introduction of "undercover operations" in the game seems fun to me and I had some cool games against ionising tie. now all this stuff gone, it is a bit sad.

12 hours ago, Tortletalk said:

Finally Zeb is a Tie but tougher.  Rebs don't get much 3 agility/evade ships and it's cheap. Keeping it alive longer is pretty great imo.

I agree about Zeb.  He's affordable.  Tie Fighters really don't want crits.  

Why take a Tie Fighter over a Z-95? Because it has a better dial.  That is worth something.  The abilities are different.

I put one in an "Aggressor Squadron" list, ah la Top Gun/Red Flag - a squadron of Rebel aces that provide opposition forces for wargames.  Two Z-95s, 2 A-wings, one Rebel TIE.  It makes for a fun thematic list and may actually be fun to play.

Captain Rex is actually quite useful and Sabine is hard to pin down (as is any ship that can boost/roll before activation).  Give her trickshot and fly at rocks.  Roll away before activation, wash, rinse, repeat.  Zeb may even be a lot more useful now versus PWT ships.  He can block them when their arcs are not front facing and gets to blast away.  Mind you, that works for Arvel as well, but Zeb is cheaper.  So, there are certainly uses for it.

1 hour ago, Bad Idea Comics said:

I put one in an "Aggressor Squadron" list, ah la Top Gun/Red Flag - a squadron of Rebel aces that provide opposition forces for wargames.  Two Z-95s, 2 A-wings, one Rebel TIE.  It makes for a fun thematic list and may actually be fun to play.

Captain Rex is actually quite useful and Sabine is hard to pin down (as is any ship that can boost/roll before activation).  Give her trickshot and fly at rocks.  Roll away before activation, wash, rinse, repeat.  Zeb may even be a lot more useful now versus PWT ships.  He can block them when their arcs are not front facing and gets to blast away.  Mind you, that works for Arvel as well, but Zeb is cheaper.  So, there are certainly uses for it.

Zeb’s pilot ability is much different than the crew card. He cancels crits before hits. The crew card lets you shoot a ship you are touching.

3 hours ago, Suhawk75 said:

This is a game where we push plastic space ships about a board going "Pew Pew Pew". ?

And yet I doubt you would want to play against dude who proxies ships with Teletubbies.

11 hours ago, BVRCH said:

You could say that about any ship that is modified to look like another, yet the rule still exists. I agree that proper numbering, different coloured bases would mitigate a lot of the potential confusion, but it doesn't change the rule. I acknowledge your point about the 2 imp swarms playing one another, but in that case all ships are supposed to look the same as they are all actually imperial TIEs and therefore have to rely on numbering etc. to differentiate.

With common sense most will work it out what is what eventually, but the ships models are supposed to look a certain way to easily distinguish their identities at a glance. It's the same reason the tournament rules state that a model must be on the peg at all times where possible. 

I'm not arguing that as soon as someone puts down an imperial TIE model with a rebel ship base everyone will definitely think its an imperial TIE. I'm saying there is a potential for people to confuse the ships identity, and the rules state that is not allowed.

What I'm arguing is that a rebel TIE can't look like an imperial TIE, when in fact its not for the purposes of that match.

If someone wants to argue that point they are obliqued to as the rule exists. That is what I'm trying to get across. If a player is confusing your ship for theirs at a glance across the board, that is grounds for this rule to apply. Whether they are saying they're confused because they legitimately are, or they're simply doing it to be annoying, they are legally allowed to cite this ruling and have a TO adjudicate it. I wouldn't risk this scenario occurring by using an Imperial TIE model (in its original state) as a Rebel TIE model.

The point of the rule is that you can't mod your X-Wing to look like a Headhunter, as that would make it look like another ship model and be confusing. Looking like another faction's paint-job when you're not playing that faction isn't the same. It is literally no different than if two players are playing the same faction and facing off in a mirror match.

The idea is that if people are modifying their ships, they need to still be recognizable as the type of ship on the base. Changing the paint job does not make a ship's model type unrecognizable.

The tournament rules themselves state this, in fact:
"Multiple Faction Ships
All pilot cards and ship tokens in a player’s squad must belong to the same faction. If a player’s ship has different versions in more than one faction, he or she may use any version of that ship’s model and dial in his or her squad.
Multiple Ship Example: Scott is fielding a Scum & Villainy squad consisting of four Z-95 Headhunters and one Firespray. His Firespray model and dial are from the Imperial Firespray expansion, two of his Z-95 Headhunter models and dials are from the Rebel Z-95 expansion, and the final two of his Z-95 Headhunter models and dials are from the Scum & Villainy Most Wanted expansion. However, all of his pilot cards and ship tokens are from the Scum & Villainy faction." p4, Tournament Regulations: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/84/73/8473eda1-c38b-434e-86bc-e78df35ce4cd/swx_tournament_regulations_v32.pdf

So, as long as you're using the proper pilot card and ship token, it doesn't matter if you're using a model that's painted in another faction's paint job. Clear as day, right there in print.

Zeb is 2 points more than an Obsidian Pilot, and basically ignores rolled crits. Anyone who has experienced the new damage deck knows what that means.

Sabine is super mobile.

Rex is Rex, enough said.

And Ezra is the cheapest Sense caddy in the game. He's also a force user in a 3 agility ship, who can use a force as a focus when stressed.

19 hours ago, BVRCH said:

And I'll say again, as XWM models are pre-painted, painting counts as modifying a model. This excerpt is from the same dot point in the rule set, meaning they are related. If each were a separate dot points, I might be inclined to agree with you.

Your snide remarks don't change the rules as they are written.

The rules are subject to interpretation by your events TO. If that person adjudicates one way or another that is their prerogative. I have cited the rules as they are written and cautioned that there is potential for disqualification subject to that adjudication. 

That’s true, they don’t change the fact I am legally allowed to slap 7 rebel ties on the table as an imperial squad, provided I have the correct chits and pilot cards.

14 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

That’s true, they don’t change the fact I am legally allowed to slap 7 rebel ties on the table as an imperial squad, provided I have the correct chits and pilot cards.

I've already acknowledged I was wrong, but I'll add to my response about your snide comments in that they do not provide a sound argument. They only serve to make you look like a ****. 

9 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

That's not regulation. :)

Edited by Magnus Grendel

17 hours ago, Freeptop said:

The point of the rule is that you can't mod your X-Wing to look like a Headhunter, as that would make it look like another ship model and be confusing. Looking like another faction's paint-job when you're not playing that faction isn't the same. It is literally no different than if two players are playing the same faction and facing off in a mirror match.

The idea is that if people are modifying their ships, they need to still be recognizable as the type of ship on the base. Changing the paint job does not make a ship's model type unrecognizable.

The tournament rules themselves state this, in fact:
"Multiple Faction Ships
All pilot cards and ship tokens in a player’s squad must belong to the same faction. If a player’s ship has different versions in more than one faction, he or she may use any version of that ship’s model and dial in his or her squad.
Multiple Ship Example: Scott is fielding a Scum & Villainy squad consisting of four Z-95 Headhunters and one Firespray. His Firespray model and dial are from the Imperial Firespray expansion, two of his Z-95 Headhunter models and dials are from the Rebel Z-95 expansion, and the final two of his Z-95 Headhunter models and dials are from the Scum & Villainy Most Wanted expansion. However, all of his pilot cards and ship tokens are from the Scum & Villainy faction." p4, Tournament Regulations: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/84/73/8473eda1-c38b-434e-86bc-e78df35ce4cd/swx_tournament_regulations_v32.pdf

So, as long as you're using the proper pilot card and ship token, it doesn't matter if you're using a model that's painted in another faction's paint job. Clear as day, right there in print.

Just as a point of order, we don't have the 2e tourney rules as yet.  They might change.  But there's no particular reason to expect them to.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:50 PM, Nyxen said:

Obligatory 'Absolutely Nothing!' here.

Alternatively, my answer to what is the TIE good for was gonna be "WAR! UGH! GOOD GOD!"

...since that what it was made for :P

Edited by piznit