Sign in to follow this  
player2422845

Rebel TIE/ln : What it is good for?

So few days before V2, and I am exploring the ship I am not that familiar with. People legitimately asked what was the role of a Awing in V2, and suddenly, I asked myself " where is the captured Tie title? Where is the illicit slot? What should I do with this ship?"

OK, it is cheap. But I doubt we are supposed to fit 4 of them in a squad... Any ideas?

Well, I see a good potential in rex plus a large ship with tactical scrambler. But 32pts is the price of a basic hawk. Sabine is a kind of OK filer. But I think they will be added a illicit slot in some waves, because this ship has very little"flavour"

3 hours ago, player2422845 said:

So few days before V2, and I am exploring the ship I am not that familiar with. People legitimately asked what was the role of a Awing in V2, and suddenly, I asked myself " where is the captured Tie title? Where is the illicit slot? What should I do with this ship?"

OK, it is cheap. But I doubt we are supposed to fit 4 of them in a squad... Any ideas?

Someone will disagree, but it literally does nothing now. I would not be surprised if they just didn't re-release it for rebels outside of the conversion kit because I can't imagine anyone needing to buy one.

I made a list with Airen Cracken handing red actions to stress Ezra which could allow for some really nice shenanigans but flying a Z-95 and Tie together takes some practice.

Rex was always great and will likely be even more valuable now that attack dice are so limited.

Sabine combines well with trick shot acting as a pseudo-advanced sensors and she's a fantastic blocker on a ship that can boost, 1-hard and barrel roll on the same turn.

Finally Zeb is a Tie but tougher.  Rebs don't get much 3 agility/evade ships and it's cheap. Keeping it alive longer is pretty great imo.

Rex still works exactly as he did and is useful. I won't extrapolate as many have already.

Zeb is useless in my eyes, unless you don't own a Z95 to take in his place.

Sabine is a handy filler flanker with her ability, with Juke/Crack Shot/Predator she can actually do a (bit) of damage. If you have 32pts to fill she can be useful, however naked Rex is also 32pts.

Ezra is a waste of Ezra in this TIE. Every other iteration of Ezra is better than his TIE pilot card. He has a force point which is of note I guess. All I see is expensive I3. 

Overall its good if you want to make a 'full house' Spectre themed list. Competitively Rex is solid enough. The attack shuttle is a much better ship for only slightly more points if you wish to fly these pilots though.

Edited by BVRCH
Lawyered

6 minutes ago, BVRCH said:

Rex still works exactly as he did and is useful. I won't extrapolate as many have already.

Zeb is useless in my eyes, unless you don't own a Z95 to take in his place.

Sabine is a handy filler flanker with her ability, with Juke/Crack Shot/Predator she can actually do a (bit) of damage. If you have 32pts to fill she can be useful, however naked Rex is also 32pts.

Ezra is a waste of Ezra in this TIE. Every other iteration of Ezra is better than his TIE pilot card. He has a force point which is of note I guess. All I see is expensive I3. 

Overall its good if you want to make a 'full house' Spectre themed list. Competitively Rex is solid enough. The attack shuttle is a much better ship for only slightly more points if you wish to fly these pilots though.

Sabine's TIE is actually the exception to the rule (as will the Mining TIE). The rules state you cannot make a model look like another valid ship. Whilst using an unmodified imperial TIE model is not tampering in itself, it looks like an imperial TIE not a rebel TIE. If you were playing against an imperial list and your rebel TIE looked like an imp, some TO's would take issue with it. Casually, go for your life; competitively, I wouldn't risk it.

That's for modeling, not painting.

22 minutes ago, Nyxen said:

That's for modeling, not painting.

Literally the first rule for modifications;

Players may paint their ship models. They cannot modify a ship model in any way that would create confusion about which ship the model represents.

This refers to the ship's appearance in general. Painting counts as modifying a model. You can't have ships looking like other valid ships. The TIE/ln is the only instance of the same model representing 2 different ships of different factions. If you were playing a rebel TIE (with an imp model) against an imperial TIE swarm, your opponent has a right to complain if they believe your ship ship is confusing the game.

Like I said, some TO's will let it fly, some won't, and I wouldn't risk it.

EDIT: Note that in 1.0 the 2 Falcon models do not follow this rule as they are under the same faction. In 2.0 the Scum Falcon could be considered in kind with the above as the 3 models now represent 3 different factions.

Edited by BVRCH

11 minutes ago, BVRCH said:

Players may paint their ship models. They cannot modify a ship model in any way that would create confusion about which ship the model represents.

This refers to the ship's appearance in general. Painting counts as modifying a model. You can't have ships looking like other valid ships. The TIE/ln is the only instance of the same model representing 2 different ships of different factions. If you were playing a rebel TIE (with an imp model) against an imperial TIE swarm, your opponent has a right to complain if they believe your ship ship is confusing the game.

EDIT: Note that in 1.0 the 2 Falcon models do not follow this rule as they are under the same faction. In 2.0 the Scum Falcon could be considered in kind with the above as the 3 models now represent 3 different factions.

Modify a ship model is the key word there.

24 minutes ago, BVRCH said:

I slap Vader and some ties on the board (including the rebel painted tie) and suddenly your confused?

might not need to be playing X-wing and should go see a doctor then.

Edited by FlyingAnchors

46 minutes ago, Nyxen said:

Modify a ship model is the key word there.

And I'll say again, as XWM models are pre-painted, painting counts as modifying a model. This excerpt is from the same dot point in the rule set, meaning they are related. If each were a separate dot points, I might be inclined to agree with you.

33 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

I slap Vader and some ties on the board (including the rebel painted tie) and suddenly your confused?

might not need to be playing X-wing and should go see a doctor then.

Your snide remarks don't change the rules as they are written.

The rules are subject to interpretation by your events TO. If that person adjudicates one way or another that is their prerogative. I have cited the rules as they are written and cautioned that there is potential for disqualification subject to that adjudication. 

Edited by BVRCH

1 hour ago, BVRCH said:

But here's the thing - there wouldn't be any confusion as to which ship the model represents. It's obviously a TIE Fighter, and since it would have the Rebel player's ID numbers on it, it would be clear whose ship it is (no different than two Imperial players facing off with TIEs against each other). So that rule wouldn't come into play, since it wouldn't cause any confusion as to which ship the model represents.

54 minutes ago, Freeptop said:

But here's the thing - there wouldn't be any confusion as to which ship the model represents. It's obviously a TIE Fighter, and since it would have the Rebel player's ID numbers on it, it would be clear whose ship it is (no different than two Imperial players facing off with TIEs against each other). So that rule wouldn't come into play, since it wouldn't cause any confusion as to which ship the model represents.

You could say that about any ship that is modified to look like another, yet the rule still exists. I agree that proper numbering, different coloured bases would mitigate a lot of the potential confusion, but it doesn't change the rule. I acknowledge your point about the 2 imp swarms playing one another, but in that case all ships are supposed to look the same as they are all actually imperial TIEs and therefore have to rely on numbering etc. to differentiate.

With common sense most will work it out what is what eventually, but the ships models are supposed to look a certain way to easily distinguish their identities at a glance. It's the same reason the tournament rules state that a model must be on the peg at all times where possible. 

I'm not arguing that as soon as someone puts down an imperial TIE model with a rebel ship base everyone will definitely think its an imperial TIE. I'm saying there is a potential for people to confuse the ships identity, and the rules state that is not allowed.

What I'm arguing is that a rebel TIE can't look like an imperial TIE, when in fact its not for the purposes of that match.

If someone wants to argue that point they are obliqued to as the rule exists. That is what I'm trying to get across. If a player is confusing your ship for theirs at a glance across the board, that is grounds for this rule to apply. Whether they are saying they're confused because they legitimately are, or they're simply doing it to be annoying, they are legally allowed to cite this ruling and have a TO adjudicate it. I wouldn't risk this scenario occurring by using an Imperial TIE model (in its original state) as a Rebel TIE model.

Edited by BVRCH