Sign in to follow this  
westiebestie

Stats in FFG squadron builder app

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere already.

I really like keeping stats of my games. Tracking wins on a list level is ok to do manually, but getting win stats per ship and pilot and keeping them update becomes rather messy. So it would make sense to have your list builder system do that for you. I really like the stats in voidstate's builder.

Do you know if FFG has this planned as part of their coming official app?

Edited by westiebestie

If so, that leaves a good gap in the market for 3rd party builders like YASB and voidstate (http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build) in 2.0 too.

Since FFG were talking about advanced features like being able to restrict and/or change cost of pilots/ships/upgrades for local tournaments with a different meta in their app, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to implement a basic feature like keeping track of statistics.

1 hour ago, westiebestie said:

If so, that leaves a good gap in the market for 3rd party builders like YASB and voidstate (http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build) in 2.0 too.

Since FFG were talking about advanced features like being able to restrict and/or change cost of pilots/ships/upgrades for local tournaments with a different meta in their app, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to implement a basic feature like keeping track of statistics.

Sounds reasonable, but it feels very hard to predict what will actually happen. (Overall commentary on second edition, also feels accurate here.)

Edited by PaulRuddSays

2 hours ago, westiebestie said:

Don’t tell Dee Yun. ?

3 hours ago, westiebestie said:

Only if someone new picks up the gauntlet, I suspect.

I think the old guard is thru providing free service to FFG.

I will miss @voidstate's builder.

Edited by Darth Meanie

They are doing this in an app for a different game, Keyforge, but that has a unique handicapping mechanism to it that make results-tracking look more necessary than it would for XW.

I imagine they are focusing on the aspects they've stated and not looking to other features, at least right  now. List building, points updates, and built-in errata/faq.

46 minutes ago, westiebestie said:

I hear low expectations all around, is there a reason or just don't want to get disappointed?

Well, the UK builder has been defunct since May.  Unless that's changed, and I'm not aware.  The last I heard about ListJuggler is that they were turned down by FFG in terms of being able to source the new app for analyses.

MathWing is over, again because FFG isn't interested in picking up the service, and MajorJuggler is not providing the info for general consumption.

YASB 2.0 is being made by a different programmer than YASB 1.0, because the 1.0 builder can now be called complete and burnout.

About the only one keeping on keeping on is @Hinnyboy, who has (bless his heart) zipped up the XWM 1.0 plugin and seems to be planning a 2.0 plugin.

So 3rd party enthusiasm to support he game does seem to be at an all time low.

48 minutes ago, westiebestie said:

I hear low expectations all around, is there a reason or just don't want to get disappointed?

Speaking as a coder, the rollout of FFG's app is in a terrible intersection of two requirements: it MUST be ready at launch, and it MUST be reliable enough to support the demand the community will place on it from day one. As such, I expect the section of their requirements doc that would normally be labeled "Would Be Nice" is probably titled "HAhahahahaHAHAha!"

Put another way, it's like the old "On time, reliable, full-featured: pick two" thing, except two of the things are already circled in permanent marker.

49 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Well, the UK builder has been defunct since May.  Unless that's changed, and I'm not aware.  

It was fixed a while ago, to my joy.

Here's hoping it goes 2.0 then, as I so far struggle with the UI of YASB 2.0.

@digitalbusker I hear you, but then it would be reasonable to expect these features be added on later.

28 minutes ago, westiebestie said:

@digitalbusker I hear you, but then it would be reasonable to expect these features be added on later.

That depends on how the app is being developed. Is it being done in-house or contracted out? If in-house, is there a dedicated X-Wing App Team, or are they going to go straight from this must-hit deadline to a similar one for whatever the next big app rollout is?

I don't actually know the answers to these questions, but, back to your original question about low expectations, there are lots of ways things could go wrong. In general expecting a satisfying software product with good ongoing support from a publisher that isn't primarily in the business of producing software is chancy.

32 minutes ago, digitalbusker said:

That depends on how the app is being developed. Is it being done in-house or contracted out? If in-house, is there a dedicated X-Wing App Team, or are they going to go straight from this must-hit deadline to a similar one for whatever the next big app rollout is?

I don't actually know the answers to these questions, but, back to your original question about low expectations, there are lots of ways things could go wrong. In general expecting a satisfying software product with good ongoing support from a publisher that isn't primarily in the business of producing software is chancy.

FFG hired programmers awhile back, so it’s being done in house.

1 hour ago, westiebestie said:

It was fixed a while ago, to my joy.

I'm not seeing that at all.  X-Wings can't be assigned S-Foils, B-Wings show up multiple times in the selections, FB page is still crickets. . .

Has he done a Patreon-only patch??

Edited by Darth Meanie

24 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

FFG hired programmers awhile back, so it’s being done in house.

Coder here....it’s not easy to have a solid app on both iOS and Android and it’s really slow (compared to web) to ship new features due to stores and hardware updates. For our sake let’s hope they hired senior developers or we are doomed. 

2 hours ago, polmoneys said:

Coder here....it’s not easy to have a solid app on both iOS and Android and it’s really slow (compared to web) to ship new features due to stores and hardware updates. For our sake let’s hope they hired senior developers or we are doomed. 

I’m well aware, I’m just pointing out the fact whatever is being done is in house, which gives them some freedom as opposed to working with an outside source. 

9 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I'm not seeing that at all.  X-Wings can't be assigned S-Foils, B-Wings show up multiple times in the selections, FB page is still crickets. . .

Has he done a Patreon-only patch??

Well, it went from not working at all to working again. Maybe there are some small issues to fix, can't say as I'm not building 1.0 anymore currently.