Sign in to follow this  
Hiemfire

2.0 Afterburners

Afterburners: "After you fully execute a maneuver, you may spend 1 energy to perform a boost action, even when stressed."

It does not have "Action:" specifically as outlined in the Rules Reference (http://infinitearenas.com/xw2rules/index.php?page=actions) for it to qualify as a Standard Action. Does this imply, as I think it does, that the option to use takes place right after you finish your maneuver but before the Perform Action step of the Activation Phase?

If so this opens up allot of impromptu arc dodger and other options via a blue or white maneuver + burn an energy from the Afterburners card to perform a boost, then, in the Perform Action step, perform a Barrel Roll Standard Action (for arc dodging if on the Action bar), another action (Focus, Target lock, etc.), or a linked action series without Boost.

3 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Does this imply, as I think it does, that the option to use takes place right after you finish your maneuver but before the Perform Action step of the Activation Phase?

Yes, that's how it works for normal maneuvers.

Note, that you can also trigger this card when you execute maneuvers outside of the execute maneuver step (using some pilot/ship ability or upgrade card or SLAM action).

Edited by Ubul

7 minutes ago, Ubul said:

Yes, that's how it works for normal maneuvers.

Note, that you can also trigger this card when you execute maneuvers outside of the execute maneuver step (using some pilot/ship ability or upgrade card or SLAM action).

Quinn Jast with Afterburners just got allot more tempting.

25 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

http://infinitearenas.com/xw2rules/index.php?page=card

Please read this section of the Rules Reference carefully. I quoted the Afterburners card exactly.

I'm sorry, but this page has not been created yet.

What page were you intending to refer to?

Edited by thespaceinvader

4 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Afterburners must take place between the end of the manouevre and the Perform Action step, that's the only point at which you can use it, but using it on any given turn is up to you whilst you have at least one charge left on it.

Okay, you were emphasizing the timing of its use, not if its use was optional. A slight counter point. SLAM is a maneuver that takes place in the Perform Action portion of the Activation phase, per the wording on the Afterburners card you could SLAM then burn a charge to boost with the Afterburners. SLAM's section: http://infinitearenas.com/xw2rules/index.php?page=slam

I think some awkward phrasing made this thread a little more confusing than it ought to be.

• Afterburners triggers after a fast-enough maneuver has been executed.
    • Normally, this is a ship's standard maneuver. It can be used after a SLAM, however, or perhaps some other game effect.
  • Afterburners does not replace a ship's normal action.  Whether it's good enough to warrant the 8 point price tag is another question entirely, but the effect is quite powerful.
  • Options?
    • Afterburners is an optional effect, a ship doesn't need to use it after executing a valid maneuver.
    • The timing on Afterburners is fixed and not "optional."  It can only happen after executing the valid maneuver, not at some other time.  A ship couldn't move, perform a barrel roll as their standard action, then activate the Afterburners boost.  If a ship wants to use Afterburners, there's only the one trigger for it (even if this trigger could happen from a SLAM action).
    • It does open up "options" for a ship, in that a ship with it can do something--boost--that it couldn't do before.

19 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

It does open up "options" for a ship, in that a ship with it can do something--boost--that it couldn't do before. 

Indeed. If you consider it the 2.0 equivalent of 1.0 Engine Upgrade, you're not far off.

It has the same (proportional) cost, and - if the boost action is now restricted to high-speed moves and charge limited, it's also a free action.

I don't think it's something you'd hand out like candy, but it's certainly a good call for any ace who doesn't have native boost (i.e. Darth Vader).