Jump to content
Bitterman

Imperial Assault Tools - List Builder, Card Editor, more...

Recommended Posts

...and just because I'm on a roll: a new version has been released, get it from the usual place. The Card Editor now supports Skirmish Cards.

Skirmish_Card_Scarif_Beach_Beachhead_cus

On a related note,

  • the graphic designer who decided that the left edge of the text box should slope inwards like that is now officially Mine Enemy - I bear grudges; and
  • I had to make some significant changes to how text is rendered on the cards, to make the sloping edge work. I don't think I've broken anything on any other card, I think all the different symbols work OK on all the different cards, but let me know if you spot any problems. If anyone's actually using any of this, that is...
Edited by Bitterman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing work! Also very good example cards, the agenda set would be great to play. As a campaign player I would be very grateful if we could also make heroes, though you have already done more than anybody could ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NagyLaci said:

As a campaign player I would be very grateful if we could also make heroes, though you have already done more than anybody could ask.

They're somewhere on the to-do list, though a bit of a way down it. They're annoyingly tricky to get perfect due to the background art coming to the foreground where the hero draws over the UI, which would need the user to have a bit more artistic talent than the "fire and forget" cards I've done so far, but that could probably be ignored without anyone getting too upset. And I'm really not sure how I'll handle the wounded side of the cards, with that overlay of blood drops and such like. Again might end up quietly ignoring it and just having big "WOUNDED" icon or something instead. I'll see when I get there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So.

It's like this.

What happened was...

I just told @NagyLaci that support for custom Heroes in the Card Editor was on the wish-list, but not likely to happen any time soon, because of what would be involved in making it look right.

So I had a bit of a gander at exactly what would be involved. Messed around with some images, worked out what layers would be drawn where, that kind of thing.

And as I looked closer, I realised that while a perfect Hero Sheet would be very difficult to achieve, a good Hero Sheet would be... a bit more realistic.

Anyway... one thing led to another... mistakes were made.

Hero_Mace_Windu_Healthy_custom.png

Hero_Mace_Windu_Wounded_custom.png

Yes, the Imperial Assault Card Editor now supports Hero Sheets. Download it from the usual place.

There are a number of important caveats to bear in mind:

  • Because it's gone midnight here and I'm tired, I've not given this the thorough testing I would ordinarily have done. I wanted to get it released anyway. There might be bugs... but I hope not.
  • Because of the really inefficient way it renders the red-tinted background and desaturated foreground, rendering the Wounded side of the card is very, very slowLike, you can type a key, and it'll take several seconds to redraw before you can type the next key. My strong recommendation is to design all the text and stats first, for both Healthy and Wounded; then only set the artwork last, once everything else is done. That way you'll only suffer the slow rendering of the Wounded side exactly once, to export the card image.
    • [edit] I've improved this a lot. It's still not as fast as I'd like, but it's more usable. Still probably a good idea to do the artwork last. [/edit]
  • Exporting the card art doesn't automatically differentiate between Healthy and Wounded sides in the image filename. I intend to fix this at some point.
  • Unlike on Deployment cards (which are fully localized), "Health", "Endurance", "Speed" and "Defense" are currently baked onto the image, so can't currently be translated into non-English languages. I intend to fix this at some point.
  • Make sure to use an image with correctly set transparency for the foreground. Or, if you don't know how to do that, skip the foreground image and only use a background.
  • Use the <heroskill> tag (and </heroskill> closing tag) for ability titles.
  • The image output isn't quite perfect:
    • On the Healthy side, there's supposed to be a white mist effect fading in from the top and bottom of the card. I've not done that yet, though most people won't notice. [edit] Done now. [/edit]
    • On the Wounded side, there's supposed to be black blood splatter all over the background, plus the interface art is supposed to look damaged, but FFG haven't "spoiled" any card art with it on so I couldn't do this. I might see if I can find another way to achieve this effect. Until then, the red background will be your main giveaway that you're looking at the Wounded side. [edit] Done now. [/edit]
    • Some of the official Hero Sheets (e.g. Diala) have the foreground image both in front and behind the interface art. That was going to get considerably more awkward for only a very tiny benefit so I decided not to support it. On most cards, it won't matter - just choose art that works within the limits of the tool.

Anyway. All that aside... it's there, it (probably, mostly) works, and I think it looks pretty flippin' cool. And now I'm going to bed.

Hero_Alys_Devran_Healthy_custom.png

Hero_Alys_Devran_Wounded_custom.png

[edit] As you'll note above, I've made a few fixes, so if you've already downloaded, you'll want to grab the newer version.

Edited by Bitterman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2018 at 1:26 AM, Bitterman said:

So.

It's like this.

What happened was...

I just told @NagyLaci that support for custom Heroes in the Card Editor was on the wish-list, but not likely to happen any time soon, because of what would be involved in making it look right.

So I had a bit of a gander at exactly what would be involved. Messed around with some images, worked out what layers would be drawn where, that kind of thing.

And as I looked closer, I realised that while a perfect Hero Sheet would be very difficult to achieve, a good Hero Sheet would be... a bit more realistic.

Anyway... one thing led to another... mistakes were made.

Hero_Mace_Windu_Healthy_custom.png

Hero_Mace_Windu_Wounded_custom.png

Yes, the Imperial Assault Card Editor now supports Hero Sheets. Download it from the usual place.

There are a number of important caveats to bear in mind:

  • Because it's gone midnight here and I'm tired, I've not given this the thorough testing I would ordinarily have done. I wanted to get it released anyway. There might be bugs... but I hope not.
  • Because of the really inefficient way it renders the red-tinted background and desaturated foreground, rendering the Wounded side of the card is very, very slowLike, you can type a key, and it'll take several seconds to redraw before you can type the next key. My strong recommendation is to design all the text and stats first, for both Healthy and Wounded; then only set the artwork last, once everything else is done. That way you'll only suffer the slow rendering of the Wounded side exactly once, to export the card image.
    • [edit] I've improved this a lot. It's still not as fast as I'd like, but it's more usable. Still probably a good idea to do the artwork last. [/edit]
  • Exporting the card art doesn't automatically differentiate between Healthy and Wounded sides in the image filename. I intend to fix this at some point.
  • Unlike on Deployment cards (which are fully localized), "Health", "Endurance", "Speed" and "Defense" are currently baked onto the image, so can't currently be translated into non-English languages. I intend to fix this at some point.
  • Make sure to use an image with correctly set transparency for the foreground. Or, if you don't know how to do that, skip the foreground image and only use a background.
  • Use the <heroskill> tag (and </heroskill> closing tag) for ability titles.
  • The image output isn't quite perfect:
    • On the Healthy side, there's supposed to be a white mist effect fading in from the top and bottom of the card. I've not done that yet, though most people won't notice. [edit] Done now. [/edit]
    • On the Wounded side, there's supposed to be black blood splatter all over the background, plus the interface art is supposed to look damaged, but FFG haven't "spoiled" any card art with it on so I couldn't do this. I might see if I can find another way to achieve this effect. Until then, the red background will be your main giveaway that you're looking at the Wounded side. [edit] Done now. [/edit]
    • Some of the official Hero Sheets (e.g. Diala) have the foreground image both in front and behind the interface art. That was going to get considerably more awkward for only a very tiny benefit so I decided not to support it. On most cards, it won't matter - just choose art that works within the limits of the tool.

Anyway. All that aside... it's there, it (probably, mostly) works, and I think it looks pretty flippin' cool. And now I'm going to bed.

Hero_Alys_Devran_Healthy_custom.png

Hero_Alys_Devran_Wounded_custom.png

[edit] As you'll note above, I've made a few fixes, so if you've already downloaded, you'll want to grab the newer version.

This is awesome, dude! Now I can create a full Mass Effect campaign :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Golan Trevize said:

Amazing tool and really great job! Thanks! I know we can't ask more, but if we could get printable figure token, we would replace proxy miniatures for our custom characters.

Wouldn't you rather use proxy miniatures? Personally I can't stand using tokens and avoid them at all costs (even use 3D-printed doors, crates, and terminals).

To be honest, I think it's unlikely I'll do this. It's not really clear to me how these tools could help achieve a good result more easily than drawing a circle around the same image in Paint .NET. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New version available from the usual place.

  • Hero Sheet text can now be translated.
  • Provided the ability to patch the game data (Command Cards and Deployment Cards), so this will still be useful even if I get hit by a bus and FFG release more products. See the Patches folder under the installation folder for guidance on how to do this.

I recommend downloading the newest version even if neither of the above features are that interesting to you, as there have been a lot of internal changes to make things run a little more smoothly (and prepare the ground for future work).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BUG: Can't add both Extra Armor and Heroic Effort in a Spectre Cell list. Error is "Cannot take non-Unique deployment cards with Heroic Effort". I believe this rule (RRG pag. 11, Deployment Cards) allows it:

Quote

 Some Deployment cards have the Skirmish Upgrade trait. Rules and abilities that reference Deployment cards do not affect, do not include, and cannot manipulate Skirmish Upgrade cards unless the rule or ability states otherwise.

@a1bert may clarify as I may be wrong on this.

Edited by Golan Trevize

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stand to be corrected, but to me it seems pretty clear that Heroic Effort means all deployment cards must be unique (as it says). The rule you quote applies (AFAIK) to things like Take Initiative not letting you, for example, exhaust Extra Armor (which would be silly).

Easy enough to change if I'm wrong, and I'll be glad to do so; but when something's stated as clearly as Heroic Effort is, something's fishy if it doesn't simply mean what it says. It'd even be fewer words for it to say "groups" instead of "Deployment cards" if that's what it meant.

Edited by Bitterman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heroic Effort's text does "reference Deployment cards" so probably "do not include" "Skirmish Upgrade cards".

I think the exclusion applies, and can throw in a question to confirm.

Heroic Effort said:

Include this card in your army only if all Deployment cards in your army are unique.
When one of your unique figures is defeated, you may draw 1 Command card, then place 1 Command card from your hand to the bottom of your deck.

Edited by a1bert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until/unless you get a response to that question saying otherwise, "include" would seem to cover it (where "affect" or "manipulate" does not). I've released a new version fixed accordingly. Thanks for the feedback @Golan Trevize and @a1bert.

Starting to feel like IA is a game creaking under the weight of its own rules if a phrase as clear and simple as "all Deployment cards" doesn't actually mean "all Deployment cards", but that's where we are I suppose. Anyway, software fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bitterman said:

Starting to feel like IA is a game creaking under the weight of its own rules if a phrase as clear and simple as "all Deployment cards" doesn't actually mean "all Deployment cards"

This is pretty rubbish indeed and to be honest this isn't the worst and most nonsensical rule I have found...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:03 AM, Bitterman said:

Wouldn't you rather use proxy miniatures? Personally I can't stand using tokens and avoid them at all costs (even use 3D-printed doors, crates, and terminals).

To be honest, I think it's unlikely I'll do this. It's not really clear to me how these tools could help achieve a good result more easily than drawing a circle around the same image in Paint .NET. Sorry.

Well, you're going to need token images for campaign maps, any way, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bill_andel said:

Well, you're going to need token images for campaign maps, any way, right?

Are you saying the 64dpi of the Vassal IA Campaign module isn't enough for you?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bill_andel said:

Well, you're going to need token images for campaign maps, any way, right?

Maybe. Maybe not... ?

1 hour ago, a1bert said:

Confirmed, the answer is yes. You can have non-unique skirmish upgrades with Heroic Effort.

Thanks for getting confirmation. It's a baffling one, but does indeed seem to be what the rules say. Hey ho.

Edited by Bitterman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2018 at 5:03 AM, Bitterman said:

Wouldn't you rather use proxy miniatures? Personally I can't stand using tokens and avoid them at all costs (even use 3D-printed doors, crates, and terminals).

I agree.

I don't know about other cities, but in San Diego they offer free 3D printing and scanning at the library downtown. While I've never taken advantage of this, It seems that one could get proxy figures printed there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, a1bert said:

Are you saying the 64dpi of the Vassal IA Campaign module isn't enough for you?

 

With the assumption that people are using Bitterman's software to create printable content, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2018 at 11:40 AM, Bitterman said:

New version available from the usual place.

  • Hero Sheet text can now be translated.
  • Provided the ability to patch the game data (Command Cards and Deployment Cards), so this will still be useful even if I get hit by a bus and FFG release more products. See the Patches folder under the installation folder for guidance on how to do this.

I recommend downloading the newest version even if neither of the above features are that interesting to you, as there have been a lot of internal changes to make things run a little more smoothly (and prepare the ground for future work).


Their is really only one thing left that the tool is missing. That is the ability to make your own Item Cards. Still what you have added is of great use, Nice Work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, sfiel42 said:


Their is really only one thing left that the tool is missing. That is the ability to make your own Item Cards. Still what you have added is of great use, Nice Work.

Yep, agreed - Item Cards (and Class Cards, actually) are next on the list. Not sure when they'll be done though, needed to give myself a break from counting pixels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sfiel42 said:


Their is really only one thing left that the tool is missing. That is the ability to make your own Item Cards. Still what you have added is of great use, Nice Work.

Reward cards also, although they can be easily done once we have class cards and item cards. I think only difference is the word "REWARD" instead of XP or credit cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×