Bitterman

Imperial Assault Tools - List Builder, Card Editor, more...

I am proud to announce the release of the Kensei Imperial Assault Tools Suite - software for your Windows PC, to make your Imperial Assault life easier and more enjoyable!

Imperial Assault Skirmish List Builder

If, like me, you play a lot of skirmish, you probably wish there was a way to make building army lists a lot easier. There are some websites that help a bit (like the excellent Tabletop Admiral) but if - like me! - you're a traditionalist, you'll miss having files that you can keep hold of, and a rich UI that's only possible with a desktop app. Well, all your prayers have been answered!

More details here!

example_4_list_builder_UI.png

Imperial Assault Skirmish List Organizer

Now that lists are so fast and fun to make, you'll probably find you have dozens of them. Even hundreds! But how to keep track of all those lists, and what's in them? Just use the Skirmish List Organizer!

More details here!

example_5_list_organizer_UI.png

Imperial Assault Card Editor

Ever wanted to make your own deployment cards? Perhaps so that the "boss fights" in your campaign games feel that little bit more personal, or so you can make a combined card for "fixes" in skirmish, or just because you're creative and want to make your own units? Of course you have - and now you can!

Now supports Command Cards, Agenda Cards, Skirmish Cards, Side Mission Cards, Hero Sheets, Reward/Class Cards, and Equipment Cards too!

More details here!

example_1_card_editor_UI.png

And more - coming soon! (Well, soon-ish... maybe)

I have plans for a dice / stats app and a Mission Editor, plus a few other ideas bubbling away in the background. But I can't promise when (or even if) they'll arrive. I'll update this thread when they do!

FAQ

Tell me about all the awesome cool features!

Hey, I know you're excited, but give me a chance! Following posts on this thread will go into more detail.

What OS will I need for these apps?

These are Windows applications only. (In fact, probably Windows 10. You can try it on older versions if you like, but people have reported problems in the card editor on Win7/8 and I don't have a machine with those OSes to investigate why it's not happy).

Any chance of making a version for Mac / Linux / MS-DOS / something even more obscure?

No.

What about an online version?

Sorry, I'm a Windows guy. There are other good sites available if you really need a website.

Who made the awesome font with the Imperial Assault symbols?

That was @a1bert, from these very forums, who was kind enough to share it for others to use - thanks! I believe he got it from FFG's PDFs but you'd have to ask him for details.

Where can I get these tools?

Just click the link at the top of this post!

Edited by Bitterman

More info about the Skirmish List Builder

The Skirmish List Builder has been designed to make the process of choosing your army list for skirmish as easy as possible.

Basic features:

• Double-click adding and removal of Deployment Cards and Command Cards.
  • Shows card limits, costs, traits, and restrictions right there in the list.
  • Shows card images, so you can see the rules while you're picking your army.
  • Checks your list against the game rules and lets you know if it's not legal.
  • Recommends obvious improvements (such as taking Driven by Hatred if you've taken Darth Vader).
  • Provides summary information about your list.
  • Auto-filter (on by default) only shows legal options - so if you're choosing a Mercenary list, Rebel cards will be hidden... unless you've taken Temporary Alliance!

Advanced features:

• Set your name and email in Settings so all new lists will be given those values automatically.
  • Show, hide, or reorder list columns. Got a big monitor and want to see everything at once? Or you're comparing two lists side by side so you want to get rid of all the clutter? It's just a right-click away!
  • Copy in Forum Format so you can easily paste your list right here on the FFG forums!
  • Import from, or export to, Tabletop Admiral.
  • Export to MS Word (.docx) format - especially useful for printing.
  • Save as a binary file (by default) or JSON.
  • Export game data as JSON.
  • Game data includes Skirmish Interchange Format (IASpec), Imperial Assault Data, and Tabletop Admiral IDs.
  • Settings allows you to specify a local folder with image data, to avoid delays in getting the images from the web.
  • Type to filter lets you search for the specific card, text, or trait that you want.
  • Patch or modify the game data (so the tool stays useful even if I get hit by a bus and can't release a new version).

Planned features (not yet available) :

• Better export options - more info, better layout, PDF format.
  • Restrict available cards based on the products you own.
  • Per-user 5-star card ratings, so you can easily spot the ones you might want to use.
  • Use custom cards in "just for fun" lists.
  • Easily share lists with others.
  • Keep track of WLD results.
  • Import from / export to Skirmish Interchange, Imperial Data, and Startactics formats.
Edited by Bitterman

More info about the Card Editor

Basic features:

• Create your own Deployment Cards - in less than five minutes!
    • Now supports Command Cards, Agenda Cards, Skirmish Cards, Side Mission Cards, Hero Sheets, Reward/Class Cards, and Equipment Cards too!
  • Design regular, elite, or unique cards, with whatever traits and abilities you deem appropriate.
  • Enter text using simple tags to insert game-specific symbols - for example, "+1<damage>" shows the explosion symbol, exactly as you'd expect.
  • Print or export the card image you've created.
  • Copy the card image - share your work right here on the forum!
  • Configure translations in Settings, so the cards can be used by non-English-language users.

Advanced features:

• Clone an existing Deployment card to give you a head start on customizing your new one.
  • Print multiple cards at once - you can even print card images from outside the app (for example, the official ones FFG post on their website) at the right size for cutting out and sticking to a spare card.
Edited by Bitterman

25 minutes ago, Golan Trevize said:

Dude we really need that card maker to have CC template! That tool is unique we have nothing else like that!

Yeah, command cards are on the to-do list, along with side mission cards and skirmish cards.. There's other stuff I want to do first though, and command cards present their own challenges as they're a little more arty in design than deployment cards. But, yeah... one day.

Can't express how excited I am about Card Editor.

Feature request:

Customizable text for Health, Speed, Defence and Attack. English text by default, but I would love to make localized versions of deployment cards.

Edited by vernar

When using your Command Card filter I notice that it only searches the card trait section, so when you are looking for cards that are really for a specific trait it will miss a few.  For example: Reinforcements for troopers.

Here are a few that I can think of that the search misses for other traits as well:
Covering Fire
Overdrive
Reinforcements
Call the Vanguard
Emergency Aid
Prepared for Battle
Repair
Provoke
Ferocity
Rebel Graffiti( can't search sabine's name)
Planning
Officers Training

Edited by HeliosLancer

1 hour ago, HeliosLancer said:

When using your Command Card filter I notice that it only searches the card trait section, so when you are looking for cards that are really for a specific trait it will miss a few.  For example: Reinforcements for troopers.

Thanks, useful feedback.

I initially wrote a much longer reply but it was confusing so I've edited down to just this:

• You've shown me a bug in Command Card type-to-filter. I'll get that fixed ASAP.
  • I've not yet had time to enter all the card text. When I do, it'll filter/search that too.
  • Most of the cards you mention have what I call "implicit restrictions". That info actually is in there, so (to use your example) Reinforcements will only show up if you have a Trooper in your list.
  • I understand that you don't just want to see the card or not, you want to know what cards are most suitable for a given Trait or figure. What you're trying should work, and I'll fix it so it does; but in the meantime, you can actually see that info if you right-click on the column headers and turn on the other columns - see screenshot below.
  • Some of the other cards you mention don't have either restrictions or implicit restrictions. For example Officer's Training doesn't need a Leader, it's just better if you are a Leader. Filtering for that will need to wait for the whole card text to be entered, sorry.

image.png.f8689f10970ab3b37325196b2ac96537.png

Why are Restrictions different from Implicit Restrictions? Both affect whether a card can be taken in a given list, but only Restrictions appear in the card's Restriction Box... which will be important when I support Command Cards in the Card Editor (as was requested upthread). Planning ahead, you see!

1 hour ago, werdnaegni said:

NOW WE HAVE TO FIGHT TO THE DEATH!

Jk, looks nice! C#? Or what is it made in?

Yeah, C#. I'm very much an old-school coder, JavaScript is black magic as far as I'm concerned, I'll leave the web wizardry to smart people like yourself. ? You've spotted the Tabletop Admiral import/export options in the File menu, though, I hope? Maybe that will put the fight to the death on hold!

Edited by Bitterman

8 minutes ago, Bitterman said:

Yeah, C#. I'm very much an old-school coder, JavaScript is black magic as far as I'm concerned, I'll leave the web wizardry to smart people like yourself. ? You've spotted the Tabletop Admiral import/export options in the File menu, though, I hope? Maybe that will put the fight to the death on hold!

I dabbled in C# for a little bit, and have considered getting back in it for some work projects that make more sense as desktop apps than web apps. I did a little Unity once and followed some tutorials a long time ago. It seems useful!

And yes, I'll postpone the fight for now.

New version available from the usual place, with a fix for Command Card filtering. Let me know if any outstanding problems.

[edit] argh - fixing filtering might have broken Command Card validation - give me a few mins! Sorry, careless! [edit edit] All good now, sorry about that.

Edited by Bitterman

On 9/5/2018 at 11:15 AM, vernar said:

Customizable text for Health, Speed, Defence and Attack. English text by default, but I would love to make localized versions of deployment cards.

Sorry, missed this earlier!

[edit] I later made changes to make this much easier and better supported - see later in the thread. [/edit]

In fact, you can do this already - it's a bit clumsy but can be done.

1. Open the folder where you installed the application.
  2. Open the file ImpAss.CardEditor.exe.config (something like Notepad will do the trick).
  3. Change the values you see there to whatever words you want to appear instead.
  4. Et voila!

Couple of things to note:

• You might have to do this again each time you install a new version.
  • At some point I want to change Traits to be selectable from a list, instead of typing them in by hand. When that happens, those Traits will be fixed to English, unless I provide a way around that... but we can deal with that when the time comes.
Edited by Bitterman

New version available from the usual place - containing a whole new program!

Imperial Assault Skirmish List Organizer

example_5_list_organizer_UI.png

Features:

• Keep track of all your skirmish lists - just tell the app which folder to look in.
  • Create new ones or open existing ones.
  • See what's in each list at a glance - including advanced metadata, if you turn those columns on.
  • Cut, copy, paste, or move army lists or folders to where you want them.
  • Tag your lists with custom tags, for easier organisation and classification.
  • Filter lists to see only ones containing the things you're interested in.
Edited by Bitterman

For those interested, the Army List Builder and Organizer now support tagging army lists with user-defined tags, and the Organizer now supports filtering. It also offers much better options when creating a new list.

Edited by Bitterman

...and another update, vastly improving filtering for Skirmish List Organizer. I recommend downloading the latest version if you've downloaded any previous version - there have been a number of improvements.

Need to decide what to work on next - not sure whether I'll do Command Cards in the Card Editor, a dice/stats app, a Map Editor, or further improvements to the Skirmish List Builder (better export options for example). Or I might give the coding a break and move onto something else for a bit, haven't decided yet!

New release available at the usual place.

New features:

• Deployment and Command cards now contain their full Ability text. Thanks to @HeliosLancer for the help with this. Let me know if you notice any errors in the text.
  • Manually filtering in Skirmish List Builder now includes a card's Ability text in the search (as requested).
  • Card Editor can clone existing abilities in the Abilities text box - so for example you can select "Non-Sentient" from the list, and get the same wording as that ability uses elsewhere; this helps with consistency.

At risk of whistling in the wind...

Imperial Assault Card Editor now supports custom Command Cards!

Probably the most-frequently requested feature I've ever had, it's now working. Have fun with it!

(Known issue: Command Cards aren't supported by Print Multiple. I'll sort that out when I get around to it). Fixed!

I had to make some quite extensive changes to make this work, so please let me know if you encounter any problems.

Command_Card_Force_Projection_custom.png  Command_Card_There_Is_No_Try_custom.png

Edited by Bitterman

On 9/15/2018 at 2:06 PM, whtecmp said:

any chance you'll open source it?

Only just had the notification that this was posted, strangely...

Never say never, but I have no plans in that regard. The time and effort that would be needed to make it ready for opening up the source seems like it would be better spent implementing cool new features for people to actually use. The idea has been mentioned a couple of times, but I've yet to hear any really compelling reason for doing so.

Just put up another version at the usual place.

Main feature in this release - the ability to enter translations for card text (in the Tools --> Tools Suite Settings dialog), so non-English-language cards can be made without messing around with ugly config files.

However, even those of you whose first language is English should probably get the latest version - there are lots of little changes and fixes (especially how settings are shared between apps, and remembered between versions) that add up to a notably improved user experience.

Enjoy!