Bitterman

Imperial Assault Tools - List Builder, Card Editor, more... - now works on Windows 7!

You'll never believe it - there's yet another release! Card Editor now supports Companion cards and Condition cards.

Companion-Card-Mouse-Droid-custom.png    Condition-Card-Burning-custom.png

I didn't think I'd ever get around to doing these card types, but I guess I was wrong about that.

Not sure what's next. Hopefully the recent flurry of new features is keeping you guys entertained, at the least. Can't wait to see what creativity you all come up with!

Edited by Bitterman

9 hours ago, Trevize84 said:

Higher resolution cards would make your work even more epic, although it's already a great job!

Sorry, but I'm afraid this isn't going to happen.

First, it would need FFG to release high-res "spoiled" images for every card type. There is no sign that they are likely to do that.

Then, I would need to go and convert those spoiled images into a format suitable for generating new cards from (i.e. remove all the text and card-specific art). This is time consuming and I've already done it once.

Finally I would need to change the code to match the updated images. Again, this is time consuming and I've already done it once.

So overall, I would need to spend a lot of time and effort re-doing something that's already been done, which i'm not very keen to do and would take nearly as much time and effort as doing it in the first place; and even if I wanted to, I'd first need FFG to suddenly put out a bunch of IA art. (It seems a bit much to ask of them. They're already being pretty generous by not sending me a cease-and-desist, assuming they're aware of this project at all; I hope they realize it's helping the community, rather than threatening their IP. To expect them to put out a bunch more high-res card art purely so I can rip it into this software is probably pushing things a bit).

I'd much rather spend my time working on new features (anyone want a Mission Editor, one day? How about a Campaign Tracker?) than going back over the ones that are already done - and besides, the custom cards print just fine. Not pro-quality, but most people haven't got pro-quality printers anyway. Print it out, glue it to a spare card, and it's plenty good enough for use.

Edited by Bitterman

Another update with a couple of features I think are pretty cool:

• Skirmish List Builder lets you optionally include a QR code when the list is exported as an image. You could link to your homepage or a discussion thread about your list - or use one of the predefined options to link to this thread, or the Tabletop Admiral page for your list. See the example shown below, try it out from your phone! (Of course, this works best when the image is printed or shown at full size).
  • Skirmish List Builder and Organiser let you export a list (or lists) to a PDF. This is a really convenient way to print your lists at a good size, for example - you can even print the list such that it folds up and fits in a card sleeve!

Empire-ISB-Special-Forces.png

Edited by Bitterman

2 hours ago, GuillotineTE said:

I wish I had a windows PC 😢

If it's that important to you, get a Windows emulator or setup a dual boot environment. There's plenty of how-to's on the internet. It's not difficult as long as you stick to the instructions. Just make sure you have a good backup on your drive(s) before attempting anything that can adversely affect your data.

Posted (edited)

Another new version available from the usual place:

• More PDF export options for Skirmish Army Lists (in Builder and Organiser):
    • List plus metadata and notes.
    • List plus tournament results tracker.
  • Card Editor supports the Imperial affiliation on Hero Sheets, so in combination with the other supported cards, it's now (finally) possible to create a complete anti-hero!

Hero-Harth-Roxin-Healthy-custom.png

Edited by Bitterman

Yet another release (at the usual place) - this one lets you give Command cards a five-star rating in the Skirmish List Builder. This should make building Skirmish Lists even quicker, as you can see at a glance which cards you're likely to want to include.

ratings.png

Hope you enjoy - I think this is a pretty cool feature, though it was much more annoying to implement than it really should have been...

Posted (edited)

I found an issue with some CC in the card viewer, there's a card image that doesn't show up. It's one of the first when you select "All". Also, can we get a good image for Alpha Pack and Marked Territory?

Also in the list builder if you try to export a PDF on a PDF that is already open the tool throws an exception.

Thanks for this great work!

Edited by Trevize84

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Trevize84 said:

I found an issue with some CC in the card viewer, there's a card image that doesn't show up. It's one of the first when you select "All".

That's Advance Warning, I think. Not sure why it's failing to get the image (it's pointing at this link, which works fine), but it is indeed failing (maybe because it's https? Not sure).

I didn't notice this before because for me, I have the image in a local folder which I've directed the software to point at (see Tools --> Tools Suite Settings... for more on how to do this - I recommend it if you use these tools a lot; you'll probably want to grab the images from Imperial Assault Data, unless you happen to have already downloaded all the cards FFG have spoiled, using the same naming convention that I have for the Kensei folder!).

Still, it's supposed to fall back on the generated image if the online image it's looking for fails, and it's not doing that, so I'll fix that in the next release. Thanks for reporting this.

Also, can we get a good image for Alpha Pack and Marked Territory?

When showing card images, it prioritises searching in this order:

• Local Kensei folder, if configured and the card exists in that folder.
  • Local Imperial Assault Data folder, if configured and the card exists in that folder.
  • Web location that Skirmish Interchange Format says to look for that card (in most cases, the Tabletop Admiral website - Advance Warning is one exception).
  • If all else fails, a generated image based on data in the Tools Suite.

For Marked Territory and Pack Alpha, and a few others, FFG haven't officially spoiled the cards, so there are no truly "good" images available. But in those cases, Tabletop Admiral uses a blurry cameraphone picture because, after all, it's better than nothing!

So where I'm going with this is: it's actually not something that's under my control. Your best bet is probably to send a scan or better photo to the guy who runs TA and politely ask him to replace the images for those cards (Spectre Cell is another one that's not great quality on the TA site, but FFG spoiled that one in a recent article so that could be worth updating too).

Cheers for the feedback!

[edit]

Also in the list builder if you try to export a PDF on a PDF that is already open the tool throws an exception.

Ah... didn't think of that. ;) I'll fix that too, though a workaround would be "don't do it"! :)

Edited by Bitterman

Posted (edited)

Great! I didn't know I could use a local DB of images, I'll definitely do it.

I suggest to use this website: http:// cards.boardwars.eu/albums/Expansion-Boxes/Tyrants-of-Lothal/Command%20Cards/Pack%20Alpha.jpg

I asked the guy who owns the DB to introduce a REST API. The tool has a plugin for that but who made the plugin doesn't know what REST means. Anyway the owner added the plugin and you can query the DB to perform searches getting back JSON results. You may use that search and in case of results take the link to the JPG or maybe fabricate links yourself following the pattern. Perhaps in case of no results you can then use other ways to recover images.

Thanks @Bitterman

Edited by Trevize84

I feel slightly embarrassed to mention this, but... while of course I built these tools for fun, not profit, and hearing people say "thanks!" is reward enough... if anyone who is getting value from these tools really wanted to make a donation as a concrete gesture of appreciation for the work involved, it's now possible to send me money by PayPal. If you want to. Don't feel obliged or pressured. Feel free not to. It's up to you.

Posted (edited)

@Bitterman One request that might be quick to do, and one that might not:

• For the custom skirmish mission card template, could you add C and D for Mission options in the dropdown? Just rendering the letters C and D in that space, even if they don't 100% match the font and italic slant of A & B, would be really awesome.
  • Is there any way I can help with getting you assets to make 300dpi or 600dpi images? Or help you come up with a skirmish deployment & command card format that is easier for 300/600dpi printing? Printing things is going to get more important, methinks.

Edited by cnemmick

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, cnemmick said:
  • For the custom skirmish mission card template, could you add C and D for Mission options in the dropdown? Just rendering the letters C and D in that space, even if they don't 100% match the font and italic slant of A & B, would be really awesome.

Should be straightforward. I'll give it a go. As you note it might not be easy to make them look perfect, but I'll see what I can do.

Is there any way I can help with getting you assets to make 300dpi or 600dpi images? Or help you come up with a skirmish deployment & command card format that is easier for 300/600dpi printing? Printing things is going to get more important, methinks.

As mentioned previously, this would need two things:

(a) FFG to release print-res spoilered (or blank!) images for every card type. This seems highly unlikely to happen. If anyone's able to convince them to do so, by all means give it a try, but at a guess they're more likely to send me a C&D for using their artwork without permission, than provide us all with a bunch of free artwork.

(b) Me to have the time and inclination to take whatever FFG card images put out and make them suitable for use in the software, then go back over the code that's already been written and re-write it to match the new images... not quite as much work as doing it all again, but not far off. (For Deployment cards, which don't rely on spoiled artwork, this bit still applies - in fact even more so because they're by far the most complex card type). This is even more unlikely - when I'm in the mood for coding I'd rather develop something new, like perhaps a mission editor, rather than spend a lot of time and effort just to repeat myself.

Bluntly, it's not going to happen. Sorry.

If it helps, I've printed out dozens of custom cards, maybe even hundreds. They look OK, they're perfectly usable, they don't look as good as the professional cards of course, but lacking a professional-quality card printer, they never will, so there's that.

Edited by Bitterman

Hello! First of all, thank you very much for nice tool. But I got little request if possible.

Any possible to get tool/feature to create Skirmish army for 2 players which removes cards from list what is used by another player? This helps alot if im playing with a friend.

51 minutes ago, BraveTrooper said:

Any possible to get tool/feature to create Skirmish army for 2 players which removes cards from list what is used by another player? This helps alot if im playing with a friend.

That's an interesting idea.

At the moment, the Skirmish List Builder makes no account at all of which cards you actually own; filtering by owned products is something I do intend to support at some point, I just haven't got around to it yet. (In the meantime, if anyone desperately needs that feature, note that it is supported by @werdnaegni's Tabletop Admiral website, and the Skirmish List Builder app can import from or export to TA; so you can write your list in either app, then use TA to check you've got all the cards you need, and this app to print the list, for example).

When I add support for filtering by owned products, I will see if I can find a good way to make it work for two lists at the same time.

Until then I'm afraid you'll just need to be careful! :)

Posted (edited)

I don't know know if anyone here plays the D6 Star Wars RPG, but i decided to make one of my characters for it in the editor.

I haven't play tested him, as I made only a couple days ago, but let me know if you have any suggestions.

And, yes, he is related to Sabine Wren from Rebels.

Ruz Wren.png

Also, his Mandalorian White Saber is his lightsaber, but it was based off of the Darksaber, as the Darksaber was a lightsaber wielded by the first Mandalorian Jedi.

Edited by MCterrarianerd34