Jump to content
Crabbok

Why isn't anyone on Shapeways making Star Trek Armada ships?

Recommended Posts

Like seriously - I would dump a reasonable amount of money into a fleet of Romulan Warbirds.  Would love some properly scaled Star Trek ships with Armada bases.  

Original Enterprise = Small

Defiant = Small

Klingon Bird of Prey = Small

Oberth = Small

Romulan Science Vessel = Small

 

Nebula = Medium

Excelsior = Medium

K'Tinga = Medium

Intrepid = Medium

 

D'Deridex = Large

 

etc.  

Edited by Crabbok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crabbok said:

Like seriously - I would dump a reasonable amount of money into a fleet of Romulan Warbirds.  Would love some properly scaled Star Trek ships with Armada bases.  

Original Enterprise = Small

Defiant = Small

Klingon Bird of Prey = Small

Oberth = Small

Romulan Science Vessel = Small

 

Nebula = Medium

Excelsior = Medium

K'Tinga = Medium

Intrepid = Medium

 

D'Deridex = Large

 

etc.  

I think it was because people were taking a Rules-first approach, as evidenced by the posting in Off Topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

There are lots of ST ships on shapeways. Are you just bummed because they don’t have the little widget for attaching to Armada flight stands?

It's partially that, but also partially because if they aren't being done with Armada in mind, I fear they may be in the same boat as the Wiz Kids Attack Wing ships and all be in grossly different scales.   I don't want the Defiant being the same size as a romulan Warbird. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if it was a classic era warbird that might be about right. ?

 

i think most most of the shapeways ship sellers specify what scale the model is, so you should know what you’re getting before you buy. 

 

For myself, Star Trek canon is all over the map (and way off it in many cases). I don’t think I could do a ST game that wasn’t will to just say “screw it, we’re our own continuity”, and just make up what works for the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Crabbok said:

Like seriously - I would dump a reasonable amount of money into a fleet of Romulan Warbirds.  Would love some properly scaled Star Trek ships with Armada bases.  

Original Enterprise = Small

Defiant = Small

Klingon Bird of Prey = Small

Oberth = Small

Romulan Science Vessel = Small

 

Nebula = Medium

Excelsior = Medium

K'Tinga = Medium

Intrepid = Medium

 

D'Deridex = Large

 

etc.  

Suggest it to Mel, he might make some of the ships possibly. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you pay me an unreasonable amount of money I will make a whole line from scratch.

Alternatively I can take some existing public domain ships, scale them properly, and add widgets for stands. I'm explosivetooka on discord, PM me there or here if you want to talk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, clontroper5 said:

Hmm, I think star trek would feel a little weird with The Armada game system. The movement, and fireing arcs not to mention lack of squadrons in star trek would feel funky I think

Plenty of squadron style things in Star Trek.  They’re just not as well known unless you reaaaaaaly check out seasons 6-7 of DS9 or be involved in the novels...

Edited by Drasnighta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Plenty of squadron style things in Star Trek.  They’re just not as well known unless you reaaaaaaly check out seasons 6-7 of DS9 or be involved in the novels...

Well yes they are THERE but are they important? Would a Star trek Armada have thematic Squads that were useful and still let the battle feel star treky?

Now I have Not seen most of DS9 so I am not fimilar with what your referring too. But I have seen most/all of Next gen, Voyager, And Enterprise. And in all of that I have really only ever seen their shuttle's used kinda like squads, but mostly those just shuttled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, clontroper5 said:

Well yes they are THERE but are they important? Would a Star trek Armada have thematic Squads that were useful and still let the battle feel star treky?

Now I have Not seen most of DS9 so I am not fimilar with what your referring too. But I have seen most/all of Next gen, Voyager, And Enterprise. And in all of that I have really only ever seen their shuttle's used kinda like squads, but mostly those just shuttled.

That’s why I suggested you watch the actual open full warfare part of it ?. It’s unique in Star Trek.

 

The old Star Fleet Battles / Star Fleet Command game had plenty...  

Peregrines for the Feds, if you feel like a-googlin’.

But they have them, even if you don’t see them:

 

It’s kinda like saying that the Empire has nothing but Star Destroyers if you’ve never read a Star Wars Book ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Drasnighta said:

That’s why I suggested you watch the actual open full warfare part of it ?. It’s unique in Star Trek.

 

The old Star Fleet Battles / Star Fleet Command game had plenty...  

Peregrines for the Feds, if you feel like a-googlin’.

But they have them, even if you don’t see them:

 

It’s kinda like saying that the Empire has nothing but Star Destroyers if you’ve never read a Star Wars Book ?

Well obviously the Empire Has other things then ISD's but they just realised if you Sad on them it makes them Cheap activations and they can kill things and still tank hits so they just stoped using the otherships

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, clontroper5 said:

Peregrine wasn't the one Data was using when he went Rogue was it?

(Do you remember that random episode of Next gen, Patrick Stuart won him back with some Epic opera singing)

No.

And That was a movie, not an episode.

Edited by Drasnighta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clontroper5 said:

Peregrine wasn't the one Data was using when he went Rogue was it?

(Do you remember that random episode of Next gen, Patrick Stuart won him back with some Epic opera singing)

Was it? Shows you how recently I watched that movie  lol

Fine, I’ll google it for you:

 

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Federation_attack_fighter

Of note is the statement paraphrased to:  “8 waves of fighters used to break up the Cardassian line”

Sounds like squadron work to me, given the universe ?

Edited by Drasnighta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish the Armada system was applied to Trek. I may have gotten the wife interested in the game then. Shame Attack Wing is so...blah. 

Star Wars is a fun watch, but she's not nearly invested (sans Yoda. She loves that green guy) as I am. 

Edited by Stasy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's an effort of mine I was tracking on Boardgamegeek for a while. I was mostly concerned with TMP era-ships, leaving TNG to bigger craft.

I wanted to create upgrade slots unique to Trek to prevent cross-contamination with Star Wars, but still be compatible for playing in a Star Wars Armada environment (just don't expect to command squads with Trek ships). It's been in an on-and-off stage of development, in part because it's work I'm not being paid to do, and folks like Dsciorpo are fine pumping out untested content without me.

 

I have a few ships on Shapeways, but they're all keyed for X-Wing bases since they were for another project.

Edited by Norsehound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The movie was 'Star Trek: Insurrecsion' and Data was flying a Venture class scout craft

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Venture_class_(scout)

There has been squadron based stuff in Star Trek for a long time, its just the big ships take center screen all the time lol. Another instance is in Star Trek Nemesis when aboard the Scimitar, you get to see an entire hangar of Scorpion class small attack fighters. So they are there, just dont get as much screen time.

I would so much love to see a Star Trek based Armada, just imagine the massive fleet battles......*eyes glaze over and stare into the distance*....

Massive Trekie and Star Wars fan here, if you hadn't already guessed haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2018 at 9:41 AM, Saroon said:

The movie was 'Star Trek: Insurrecsion' and Data was flying a Venture class scout craft

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Venture_class_(scout)

There has been squadron based stuff in Star Trek for a long time, its just the big ships take center screen all the time lol. Another instance is in Star Trek Nemesis when aboard the Scimitar, you get to see an entire hangar of Scorpion class small attack fighters. So they are there, just dont get as much screen time.

I would so much love to see a Star Trek based Armada, just imagine the massive fleet battles......*eyes glaze over and stare into the distance*....

Massive Trekie and Star Wars fan here, if you hadn't already guessed haha

Also numerous peregrine fighters in DS9, would be more a of a swarm fighter battle between them,  the scorpions, and tu'Doj Klingon fighters.. 

10/10 would play a star trek armada 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...