Sign in to follow this  
Decan Mabu

Scratch built Ships and scenography

Hi Again

It was a long time I didn’t post anything else, I had made Hammerhead corvette as well as other ships (like the YT-1000) and other ships 

This time I had use more the imagination (and free will) and made a new epic ship!

Something like a carrier or cargo haul, not affiliated to any group ( I prefer it belongs to free traders guild) for this new project I have some inspiration based on the big trandoshans ships seen on the clone wars series as well as the rebel transport as you can see.

during the project I made several pictures (here below attached) to see how it evolves during the process, now I have to start painting it.

I would be glad to hear any sugerence or recommendation...

FD91D9F4-AC96-4220-B707-47D49CDE8C96_zps

that’s the beginning, I used a pair of little bottles for the matrix as well as some plastic films and soft wood.

the plates has been done this time making a blueprint over a plastic film cutting them an adding separately to the main structure, something like a puzzle or jigsaw...

CF5786A5-12F0-4886-AEBB-251F36AB022A_zps

here is a detail of the cockpit... 

62EA7638-2770-4139-B97E-D9BED63D5A2C_zps

the lower part of the kit was more about the same, the details over the ship has been done adding small plastic parts an filaments and wires, in order to make the piping...

F1827C34-F51D-430F-920F-B976F88F2914_zps

then I started to make more details on the frontal area...

26C69842-4ADE-4F2F-BFC7-21EABC52D51C_zps

7FB9D39C-3F2D-442D-9054-78B44B8D13A9_zps

Here you can see a good reference of size (with the Y wing, not with the pacifier ? )

...Then I started with impulsion units and several round of details...

6DF81FD8-30D3-4346-91A3-4D5C41A1697A_zps

I added a grey priming coat, so you can see better the details and ease the painting process...

ED0D175E-095C-497B-9882-2065390B18AB_zps

FA427A97-B3C4-4C76-A34D-2A99692074A9_zps

D07C359E-08D1-46B7-AE23-3D22BED92632_zps

A68ED69F-4AAB-4130-88DB-6173E6E2966C_zps

I have more pictures

Hope you like it, if you have many questions please contact me...

Edited by Decan Mabu

It looks really great. Nice to see another approach to scratch building.

I also want some extra ships that I can use as some kind of cosmic traffic or convoy. Instead of using astroid to bumb into. ;)

***remembers himself that he must finish his scratch build Imperial Tanker as well***

If I were to put this ship into official lore, (Pre Disney, cause I hate Disney) I would have the ship designed by Gallofree Yards, Inc. as an lighter transport, simliar to the GR-75. Designate it GR-80, have it more maneuverable and faster but only able to carry half of what the GR-75 can. The Rebellion would use them along side the CR-90's to run blockades and get supplies behind Imperial Lines, or evacuate high level equipment, personal, and supplies.

13 hours ago, RedLeader23 said:

Perfect! Do you have a name for it yet?

I have one idea but Honestly I have not decided yet, initially the name should be “The Crimson Herald” but I’m open to suggestions as well as any kind of background, I would like to post here the Background as well as the name and the paint finishing...

2 minutes ago, Decan Mabu said:

I have one idea but Honestly I have not decided yet, initially the name should be “The Crimson Herald” but I’m open to suggestions as well as any kind of background, I would like to post here the Background as well as the name and the paint finishing...

I posted my suggestion above! xD

1 minute ago, Zeoinx said:

If I were to put this ship into official lore, (Pre Disney, cause I hate Disney) I would have the ship designed by Gallofree Yards, Inc. as an lighter transport, simliar to the GR-75. Designate it GR-80, have it more maneuverable and faster but only able to carry half of what the GR-75 can. The Rebellion would use them along side the CR-90's to run blockades and get supplies behind Imperial Lines, or evacuate high level equipment, personal, and supplies.

Nice and interesting Background, should be fine as a transport (for the rebels as an example) but also as a free trader, you can put a name if you want (as said before).

The ship has a great coincidence on what it respects with the Galoofree Yards but on the other side the cockpit as well as the wings and the impulsion units makes it quite different design on what it respects with Gallofree yards, I liked so much the old look of this ships with extra plating but want to introduce schematics simillar than those free ships from trandosans, smugglers and people of this kind... ...but the ship might pass as a GR-80 or an older version like a GR-35...

8 minutes ago, Zeoinx said:

I posted my suggestion above! xD

Sorry, Inwas taking my time answering you ? see above...

I liked your suggestions ... a name also should be Fine... 

Edited by Decan Mabu

6 hours ago, Noosart said:

It looks really great. Nice to see another approach to scratch building.

I also want some extra ships that I can use as some kind of cosmic traffic or convoy. Instead of using astroid to bumb into. ;)

***remembers himself that he must finish his scratch build Imperial Tanker as well***

That’s my initial idea, and the initial reason for making it, indeed I had also made a hammerhead corvette, and YT-1000, a Starlight freighter and keep doing a C-70 possibly retrofitted for the empire or one pirate cartel... 

I would like to make with several epic ships an assault to a Traders rout in a planet (like those seen on Corusant...) 

Some kind of a mission... 

But as the rest I’m open to suggestions... 

I personally think it should be classed as a bulk freighter, possibly saw a lot of use with the mining guild. However it was also used by other independent pirates and traders, also maybe saw some use in the Rebellion running blockades like Zeoinx said. 

When it’s finished I would definitely like a shot with all of your scratch builds together, that would be awesome!

Edited by RedLeader23

18 minutes ago, Zeoinx said:

As yo, I’m not very happy with disney legacy too, only Roge one gets saved about this... ?

What I’m sure is this ship is not going to be from the last trilogy... 

Hello all

Quite long time I didn’t write

Here I have a picture/diagram in order to prepare the paint design on this ship

I’ll attach several of them before start painting the ship (once I have a clear color diagram fir the ship...)

This first one is the ship without painting diagram:

F0BB8EB0-6B74-4191-ADA6-FDE3D406CD03_zps

And this one is my first one diagram design

B5C0BC8F-DF9F-46DC-9993-B2D4DCFBB604_zps

Edited by Decan Mabu

14 hours ago, CyCo said:

Dude! I thought your scratch build was great, but these illo's are so nice and clean. Awesome! How did you do these??

:wub:

I made several drawings based on the model kit, indeed I had some other ones based in different ships, like the YT 1000 or the Gtrhoc 720... 

?

Try adding some rusty browns, and greys on most of it, with some rusty red trim along the front and rear "wings", and that rusty red following the middle "trim" down the length of the craft. Then add a Hutt Logo on each rear "Wing", heavily weather the entire paint job as well.

latest?cb=20110724032113

Edited by Zeoinx

16 hours ago, Zeoinx said:

Try adding some rusty browns, and greys on most of it, with some rusty red trim along the front and rear "wings", and that rusty red following the middle "trim" down the length of the craft. Then add a Hutt Logo on each rear "Wing", heavily weather the entire paint job as well.

latest?cb=20110724032113

86A26756-2015-4C44-9C93-45AE70A2E5EE_zps

Like this?

?

I do not want to make too much symbols, it does not give a some ”realistic” appearance to a hutt cartel ship, this might seem quite over detailed, specially If you want to make a stained appearance, I don’t mind someone spending time and resources in making a lot of symbols instead of giving a cover paint to the ship in order to give it a more durability... 

I think on that way looks nice...

13 hours ago, Decan Mabu said:

I think on that way looks nice...

It does. Though I think the Hutts would have either mirrored their emblem on the other side of the hull as well or placed the single emblem down the middle of the forward section overlapping the ship's spine. Hutt = Arrogant, Prideful, Deceptive and Greedy and they aren't very subtle about it when they can get away with it. :)