Sign in to follow this  
AllWingsStandyingBy

Will Scum Have the Lion's Share in 2.0?

35 minutes ago, HealOverTime said:

I see Scum as becoming the "jack of all trades, master of none" faction. I've heard it argued that the faction focus will be on flexibility over efficiency.

Another thing to remember is that Scum will likely never ever get generic (or even low priced unique) force users as many other factions do or will.

Difficult to see. Always in motion, the future is.

You never know when there will be a new force user in canon with scum affiliations. I wouldn't have guessed a Mandalorian for Rebels either, but there ya go. 2 of them are in the game now.

I don't see this "jack of all trades" or "non-synergy" concept

Scum has an incredible synergy package in just Serissu (or Drea), which you can then further supplement with debuffs

1st example:

Torkil Mux — HWK-290 36
Perceptive Copilot 10
Moldy Crow 12
Ship Total: 58

Cartel Executioner — M12-L Kimogila Fighter 44
R5-P8 4
Ship Total: 48

Serissu — M3-A Interceptor 43
Hardpoint: Cannon 0
Ion Cannon 5
Ship Total: 48

Black Sun Ace — Kihraxz Fighter 42
Fearless 3
Ship Total: 45

Serissu obviously buffs whoever she's in range of, but Mux also "buffs" his buddies by letting him shoot before whoever suffers from his ability

This lets you use "glass cannon" abilities such as Fearless or R5-p8 far more safely, since you're far more likely to either roll evades or kill the defender before they can shoot

2nd example:

Serissu — M3-A Interceptor 43
Swarm Tactics 3
Hardpoint: Cannon 0
Ion Cannon 5
Ship Total: 51

Sabine Wren (Scum) — Lancer-class Pursuit Craft 68
Fearless 3
Perceptive Copilot 10
Tactical Scrambler 2
Shadow Caster 6
Ship Total: 89

Palob Godalhi — HWK-290 38
Trick Shot 1
Lando Calrissian (Scum) 8
Moldy Crow 12
Ship Total: 59

This is far more of a rebel blob type formation with obvious synergy. When you stack these defensive buffs atop Palob depriving the enemy of their mods, it just gets nasty

Currently, I believe scum does synergy blobs better than Rebels. No Biggs, sure, but their moldies and Seri more than make up for that

Edited by ficklegreendice

13 hours ago, LordBlades said:

So you talked to absolutely everybody and are 100% sure nobody wants a Mining Guild TIE? 

Yes everyone. ?

It’s certainly hyperbole. I liked the ship in Rebels and thought it looked cool but never really wanted to see it as Scum ship. I’m pretty sure that was even an imperial sanctioned operation, so not exactly Scum and Villainy. 

But I digress;

1. I’m not sure anyone wants yet another Swagm capable faction with an ability that ignores a fundamental part of the game. 

2. I don’t think I’m alone in wanting wave 2 to have explored the FO and Resistance more, rather than releasing yet another Scum ship, especially one that so directly steals from another factions identity.

Where is the remodelled Silencer, perhaps an FO Bomber. Or at the very least if you are going to release the Mining Tie why not release a Rebel and Empire ship so they can have more pilot options.

I guess it isn’t that the Mining TIE isn’t wanted but that it seems so out of place in terms of releasing content.  

1 hour ago, DodgingArcs said:

1. I’m not sure anyone wants yet another Swagm capable faction with an ability that ignores a fundamental part of the game. 

2. I don’t think I’m alone in wanting wave 2 to have explored the FO and Resistance more, rather than releasing yet another Scum ship, especially one that so directly steals from another factions identity.

1. IMO the Mining Guild TIE's special ability is an elegant solution to a difficult problem: TIE swarms are all about mathematical efficiency. If you make a new swarm ship more efficient than a TIE Fighter swarm, then you render the TIE swarms obsolete. If you make it less efficient, then you render it DOA. By giving all mining guild TIE a special ability and likely a higher price, FFG has attempted to create a swarm that doesn't replace the Imperial TIE Swarm, but is still worth flying, as ignoring obstacles is a neat trick. Ivm curious what they have in store for CIS droid swarms. 

2. I also don't think I'm alone (based at least on some threads and polls in this forum) in having zero interest in FO and Resistance (barring any must-have cards). A pure FO/Resistance wave 2 would be a wave where I'm not buying anything. 

Mining TIE is a bit weird ito of release schedule, but it seems hilariously fun with its innate ability

Innate abilities in general are one of the best things about 2nd Ed imo. Really distinguishes ships 

Also, Captain ****face's jam ability seems ridiculous

Edited by ficklegreendice

What I have advocated in the past was dividing S&V into S and V:

Scum = Those doing things illegally: pirates, criminal organizations, etc.

Villany = Those doing not nice things that are not illegal: mercenaries, bounty hunters, slavers.

However, since they did not do that with 2.0 dropping, it's unlikely to be a thing anytime soon.

22 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Also, bounty hunters are canonically Scum according to that one imperial officer 

Guys like the Hutt cartel and the Black Sun Syndicate are DECIDEDLY villianous 

Wait, aren't you the gameplay >> fluff guy??

Jesus, we have enough factions as is :o

Agreed, but just spitballing about the OP that S&V as a catchall category might make the faction overly large or overly dilute (especially in terms of era-based identity).

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

What I have advocated in the past was dividing S&V into S and V:

Scum = Those doing things illegally: pirates, criminal organizations, etc.

Villany = Those doing not nice things that are not illegal: mercenaries, bounty hunters, slavers.

However, since they did not do that with 2.0 dropping, it's unlikely to be a thing anytime soon.

I have an Imperial Handbook that defines them in the opposite order. Sum can be used and bartered with. The villains are to be exterminated for defying the laws of the land. 

19 hours ago, LordBlades said:

So you talked to absolutely everybody and are 100% sure nobody wants a Mining Guild TIE? 

I want it. In fact, it's the one new thing in 2.0 I'm most excited about.

So hyperbole aside, there's always going to be someone who likes that thing you can't imagine anyone liking! ;)

1 hour ago, Dobbs Mottley said:

I want it. In fact, it's the one new thing in 2.0 I'm most excited about.

So hyperbole aside, there's always going to be someone who likes that thing you can't imagine anyone liking! ;)

I fully agree. ****, I love the Jm5k for reasons that have nothing to do with  X-wing and the ship's lore :)

8 hours ago, LordBlades said:

2. I also don't think I'm alone (based at least on some threads and polls in this forum) in having zero interest in FO and Resistance (barring any must-have cards). A pure FO/Resistance wave 2 would be a wave where I'm not buying anything. 

Did Scum only players buy any wave 14? What is there for Rebels and Empire in Wave 2?

There is going to be 7 factions which sometimes means you don’t buy anything unless you want everything. 

But the issue with FO and Resisitance right now is a desperate lack of ships. Not that you can add many more, but that lack of ships means less gameplay options so you better like the 1-2 list ideas you will get from 4 ship factions. 

5 minutes ago, DodgingArcs said:

Did Scum only players buy any wave 14? What is there for Rebels and Empire in Wave 2?

There is going to be 7 factions which sometimes means you don’t buy anything unless you want everything. 

But the issue with FO and Resisitance right now is a desperate lack of ships. Not that you can add many more, but that lack of ships means less gameplay options so you better like the 1-2 list ideas you will get from 4 ship factions. 

I agree, that doesn't mean that a wave with FO, Resistance and a Scum ship doesn't appeal to a wider audience than a wave with just FO and Resistance 

19 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

I agree, that doesn't mean that a wave with FO, Resistance and a Scum ship doesn't appeal to a wider audience than a wave with just FO and Resistance 

Yeah but throw in an Interceptor and a Rebel anything (A or B would be a good start) and that might make people more excited. 

Maybe it is too soon, but those 3 ships got a massive downgrade in the number of pilots for them.

On 8/30/2018 at 11:14 AM, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

With factions splitting into six Era-Specific Factions + Scum, won't Scum ultimately have the most toys by virtue of being the "catch-all" bin for all the ships and characters that are loosely independent or criminal appearing across all three eras?

I doubt scum gets more than 1 to 2 ships a year from now on. The other 4 factions are going to get plumped up before scum sees much love

Don't worry everyone, with the app they can just intentionally overprice half the ships in the Scum faction to be unplayable, even in casual, or epic. Then it will effectively be the same size as the other factions. They will never say they are doing this though. It will be a shadow-ban. For example, does anyone think the new G1-A is going to be a reasonable meta choice?