Nyxen

Your Favorite 1.0 Memory

Actually playing my first tournament and first games against people in November 2013.  Flying a true Obsidian Swarm; Howlruuner, Nightbeast, Winged Gundark, and 4 Obsidian Pilots.

Won my first 2 games, not using formation flying.  Then given advice to fly in formation to optimism Howlrunner's ability, which resulted in landing on rocks a couple of times and introduced me to the the devestation of Vader Assault Missles.

Another proud moment was tabling a 4b list with a 7 TIE swarm.

Best moments though, meeting the people that have become my friends over the years, which has become a tight group of people.

My son's first tournament, back when he was 6, going into the last round 2-1 and having his Glaives meet Vessery, Rexler and OL. I got to see the tail end of it when the 3 Glaives were hunting down OL and setting traps, it was glorious. He had 2 100-0 games, the first bye and a tight loss that day. 

He came 2nd, I was 3rd (with defender hunting stuff, because I'm not dumb). 

He was so happy that day, making it on his own. He's been top half of tournaments since. Well, we don't play competitively anymore, so... 

1 hour ago, Smutpedler said:

The horrified look on everyone's face when they figured out how filthy my pre-nerf mindlink with opspec escalation list was. I know, I'm a terrible human being...

Reminds me that 2v2 Epic tournament, when my wingmate and I chose to put on the table a TLT-Titled-Y-wing swarm, with 2 Op Spec U-wings to support. That was nasty.

On 8/29/2018 at 4:43 PM, Nyxen said:

Do tell, did the dice go your way, did you pull some crazy maneuvering, what happened?

I was running a four-ship Rebel list (Rex, Lowhhrick, Jess, Ezra) versus Ghost-Fenn. Initial engagement, I lose Rex. Next turn of combat, I lose Lowhhrick but take Fenn down to 1 Hull. Ezra is off stressed and out of combat, Jess is trying to stay in the range 1 donut hole of the Ghost but a coordinated Boost right down to the bottom edge of the board makes her eat a 5-die shot to lose all her shields and eject M9-G8 to avoid a Direct Hit. 

But then I look at the board, think, and dial in a 1-bank and a boost. The Ghost does a 2-hard... and bumps with its back corner off the mat. Fenn comes screaming out of the corner... right into Ezra's arc. One hit goes through and that's the game. 

It was the luckiest bump in X-Wing history and I still to this day have like a 10% belief that my opponent might have handed me the match either out of exhaustion or just a desire to stop playing 1.0. 

I have two.

Getting my brother a yt-2400.  Dash really helped him learn to fly big base ship which up to that point  been really frustrating for him.  Granted than I had to deal with dash...

I was flying backdraft (my only surviving ship) against a two upsilon list, Stridan was barely alive but Kylo had 1 shield.  I was able to destroy Stridan with a modified shot.  Kylo was range 1 in my rear arc.  I rolled 2 hits and a crit and backdraft's ability added another.  I got a direct hit and a major explosion  which resulted in another direct hit.  I still can't believe I got that lucky.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:02 AM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Actually, there is no pilot skill.  It is called initiative now.

Theres still skill, although its on a sliding scale of 1 to 6 about how motivated they are to showcase said skills! :P

Rey and Jan.

Had a lot of fun with this combo, including a small store championship where I beat the pants off of a NOVA guy who traveled to our small berg for what I am sure he thought would be an easy win. First time I rolled 6 attack dice at range 1 for 6 hits, the expression on his face was priceless. He blanked and I nearly one shotted his Defender. Got that one on the next round and cleaned up after that.

On 8/30/2018 at 3:18 PM, FTS Gecko said:

Where to begin...

Flying XXXX to a top 5 finish at an Imdaar Alpha event, winning a wild event with a Hutt Cartel list, placing top 40 in a 400+ player System Open with FIVE.  CARTEL.  MARAUDERS... last minute list changing at Nationals for two years straight, win, lose, draw it's all been good.

Real highlights would probably be having crazy fun at the Italian System Open this past year and Team Epic with @Arma Quattro at the European Championships.

But mostly the community.  The community for this game is ace.

Where is the HEART HEART HEART reaction? LOL ?

Making it to top table in a store championship, barely losing to a 1 hull miranda because I couldn't decide what to put my dial on for 3 minutes.

Final position? 4th place. Why? Because I flew wedge off the board 3 times.

Total kill count?

15 X wings, 4 Sheathapiedes, 4 nyms, 4 Y-wings, and a pair of assajs.

15. F****. X wings.