Nyxen

Your Favorite 1.0 Memory

So many random things.

• Final salvo - against a HWK of all things... I freakin' tied the dice roll 5 vs 1. Got'em on the re-roll.
  • Those moments when you're playing a tight game, ships all on fire, waiting for the final roll to decide the fate of the game (win or lose!)
  • Actually, that last game I played on stream... where it's a pity the audio wasn't captured from the table since both of us were making jokes, adlibbing lyrics to jingles, and taunting each other as we played an incredibly tight scoring game... (I lost 21-0) I even put a salt shaker down on the table at a key point much to the delight of the commentators (who were totally unprepared for that...)

Been playing 1.0 at least once a week for five years... there've been some really good games in there. 

I have to say the best memories are making friends though. Realizing that I could make alt-arts to hand out to new players. Gitting gud by losing a lot to @Do I need a Username, @acegard, and some other people I don't think are on this forum. Meeting people at store champs. Going to GenCon this summer and meeting @impspy @gennataos @Brunas and @Biophysical (and some others who aren't on this forum or whose usernames I forgot). Having great X-Wing (and off-topic) discussions with all the people I only know online but have really enjoyed talking to on these forums and elsewhere ( @Wiredin @Boom Owl @defkhan1 @LagJanson @Mattman7306 @Kaptin Krunchand the other Krayts, @Kleeg005 @Force Majeure and the other Painting and Modding people, and a whole bunch more)

The game got gradually less fun as time went along but I gradually made more and more great friends. I'm really looking forward to the reboot and taking all those friends back in time with me to a time when everyone really enjoyed playing X-Wing. Wave III forever. 

Edited by Kieransi

My single fave happend soon after the Fang fighter came out (Mando queen)

Played a game using Fenn, Ol'T, and Kath against Defender heavy Imps. 

K-turning Ions are frusterating and I see my opponent looking to diliberatly hit me with them so I pulled a short move with Fenn and he K'd right in front of him. 3+1+1 dice+1 fearless hit later I had 2 hits and 4 crits on the dice and Countess blanked all ALL of the greens. That full health, Fat Defender being taken off the field in one shot was magical. 

All my favourite memories involve quadjumpers, but my top one has to be in one of my last Vassal League games of the season. Playing against Chewie and two TLT Thugs is hard, and I had to trade Fenn and most of Asajj for Chewie, leading to a very unfavourable endgame. I manoeuvred absolutely perfectly with Asajj 2 turns in a row - R1 of both Thugs and outside their arcs. Between Asajj and the Quad I was putting my opponent's ships wherever I wanted. Eventually I killed one Thug but both Asajj and the Quad were 1 shot away from death.

Instead of doing the obvious move with my quad - trying to kill the Y-Wing at R1 on 3 hull before it killed Asajj for the win next turn - I instead Ionised the thing. Then next turn I tractored it forward. Facing the board edge. I moved everything into R1 of it, and next turn I performed a second tractor to send it right to the edge of the board, where it promptly flew into oblivion.

There are a lot of times where the QJ's Ion or Tractor have won me games, but the awesome combination of the two in that game was sheer perfection.

My favorite memory of X-wing is of sitting around the table with friends ripping open our new ships. Just flipping through cards to build a squad and get ships on the table. It recaptured the early excitement of MTG in 93, just seeing what you could build from what was in front of you, but in x-wing you got to fly it!  the real joy though was escaping technology and spending time away from a screen, just murdering your friends loyal fighter pilots for supremacy

Sadly thats gone with 2.0., because of the way the App is being handled.  Alas

My first (and only) tournament was at the height of parattini. One guy had netlisted it and desperately wanted to win the tournament. I was flying a Rey/Corran combo, because it seemed fun.
My very first shot killed Fenn Rau.
The guy's face was amazing.

Getting 2nd place in the Seattle regional 2015. I had developed a missile swarm Z95 list (with concussion missiles, before the days of guidance chips) with Squad Leader on Airen Cracken to pass 2 actions per turn. I built it to counter the fat pancake meta of the time, and I faced a ton! Best moment though, was the semifinal match vs. Fat Han and a generic YT2400. I shot an ion missile turn 2 or 3 to walk the 2400 off of the board and then made short work of Han. People's faces when they saw my list were priceless.

An incredible (and lucky) triple kill in one turn with a super expensive Keyan build.

Drop a prox on a ship, kill it, finish its wingmate with Sabine auto damage, then PtL roll to get a third enemy in arc and destroy him also.

This made me a legend in my local store (way more than my usual level deserves^^) for a while !