Nyxen

Your Favorite 1.0 Memory

One of my favorite memories was getting a critical on Soontir Fel that made his pilot skill zero from range three through a rock.  

Flying deathrain.  

Flying the star viper with the new barrel roll.  

One shotting an a-wing with a range one Fenn Rau shot in arc.

All the people I have met because of the game.

2017 Regionals. Top 16. Flying Decimator/Inq into Jeff(?) Berling's Kanan/Biggs and Ion Bombing his full HP Ghost off the board on turn... 3 or 4. I was shaking so bad as I helped him move my ships when I knew it was over prior to the deci moving. Declared the bomb and he replied, "That's two tokens, isn't it?" "Yup." "Well good game then." Hand shake and dice in hand! He took it on the chin extremely well.

I once played a Deci-Punisher list against a Scurrg-Slave I list

Both of the lists were extremely casual, as sort of a break from practicing for a tournament.

What followed was the most intense 2 hours of dogfighting ever... Beautiful play where flying mattered a LOT. It felt good, because at the time, I played PS11 Imp alpha, while my partner played some cancer with Dengar or sth.

Whenever I won with my harpoon strike, I felt dirty. The game wasn't fun. And whenever I lost, I felt like I couldn't compete with the efficiency of some lists (khm, JUmpmaster)

So yeah. Best game I played, it was with a Punisher.

My first store champ. It was my first competitive event, and having literally only played my brother (who then played nobody else) and 2 other people at the store in the town I just moved into--i didn't expect much. In fact, the list I flew was my optimization of ships my brother annoyed me with: x7's and an sf--i didn't know that I reinvented the wheel with swarm leader Quickdraw. Yet I won the whole thing!

The other would probably be flying Kylo against Miranda for the first time. I've only beaten her with Whisper or because my opponent was new to the game, and all my other fights against her I lost, because I like my aces. But then I discovered that there is an ace that could 1v1 her, and not only that, but it is a viable one amidst the maelstrom of bs that was 1.0's final meta! And he was insanely fun to fly, correcting all the weaknesses of Soontir! Playing him endlessly for the final 6 months of the game has not only offered some amazing and tight games against great players, but has also helped me radically improve my skill.

Playing against a Nationals/System open winner after 6 months being all billy big boots with my triple T-70 list vs his Dengar Nym and being systematically picked apart by just Nym. Made me realise that no matter how much you think you know, someone is always going to be able to teach you something.

Winning my first acrylics ... going 4-1 at my second ever tournament, that felt really good, apparently I should have been sad that I missed cut on MOV.

It wasn't me but my brothers list which included chopper pilot in the Ghost with zeb crew and ion cannon. Can't remember the details as it wasn't me playing against it but i was next to him. He got his opponents ship on a rock facing him and bumped together. So the opponents ship was stressed and ioned and every go me brother shot with his ion cannon then did a 5 dice primary and repeat! It was a laugh! 

3 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

My favourite moments:

First, hail mary shot at range three against a tokened up Soontir with steath device that resulted in a couple hits.

Getting acrylic range rulers at my first ever tourney flying Kestal with Ruthlessness, Quickdraw and Omega Leader

Ruthlessness is an underrated card, but because of its situational nature, can be difficult to make consistently effective at tourneys, especially against Lone Wolf 2 ship lists. How many people were there? If less than 8, color me much impressed.

1 minute ago, player3010587 said:

Ruthlessness is an underrated card, but because of its situational nature, can be difficult to make consistently effective at tourneys, especially against Lone Wolf 2 ship lists. How many people were there? If less than 8, color me much impressed.

There were, I think, about 24 people including myself.

Where to begin...

Flying XXXX to a top 5 finish at an Imdaar Alpha event, winning a wild event with a Hutt Cartel list, placing top 40 in a 400+ player System Open with FIVE.  CARTEL.  MARAUDERS... last minute list changing at Nationals for two years straight, win, lose, draw it's all been good.

Real highlights would probably be having crazy fun at the Italian System Open this past year and Team Epic with @Arma Quattro at the European Championships.

But mostly the community.  The community for this game is ace.

in no particular order

winning my first kit tournament with Krassis Trelix and 2 ptl royal guard interceptors

making my first store champ cut with 2 rookies, 2 bandits, and adv sensors/stay on target Keyan Farlander, against pre-nerf phantoms. 

making my first regional cut with 3 talas, a grey squad y-wing and lt. blount. 

earning my first set of regional dice with commonwealth defenders

winning my first store championship last year on Strength of Schedule (YEAH)

winning the 1st 12th semi-annual Atlanta HWKs Team Classic

coming in third but tied on record at Krayt Cup 2

this game has given me a lot in a very short time. excited to keep that going. 

40 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

There were, I think, about 24 people including myself.

Ok, so big enough that ruthlessness will proc enough to earn its cost, but still possible to be made irrelevant by a few lists. Impressive  nonetheless.

I will always remember this one game against my son.  I had this FO TIE (might have been an S/F) that had lost shields but was otherwise fine facing down his entire list.  I realized that he was going to fly into a little blob in front of me and I had the highest pilot skill.  So I put on the smug grin, dialed in an s-loop and popped behind them all.  Then:

1) whiffed my shot

2) ate a double crit from his S/F in front of me

3) whiffed my greens

4) pulled: Pilot Skill Zero and Take a Hit if Overlap for my crits

That my friends is how the Universe says No.  At least I got to practice my Red Leader scream.

In a 2014 Store Championship I was running 2 Ion Cannon Blue Squadron Bwings, a BTL-A4 Ion Turret R3A2 Gold Squadron, and an Ion Turret Roark Garnet.  In the cut I played against a Dash/Corran list.  We were both running the original damage deck and I was able to put an Injured Pilot crit on Dash and leave him at 1 hull, and ioned facing a rock.  Dash's next 1 straight ion move put him onto a rock, and due to the Injured Pilot, he had to suffer the rock like everyone else.  Dash rolled the hit and died.  It was very satisfying to kill Dash with a rock.

Back in 2015, Toronto Regionals final table vs @Darph Nader

His 8 Bandits vs my Lone Wolf Dash and Corran.

The skies were angry with laser fire that day, my friends, as two gods battled into the wee hours of the morning.  I don't think I've ever worked so hard to win a match in X-Wing before or since.

Flying Ketsu/Old Teroch/Manaroo to top 8 regionals. I built the list to destroy asajj and defenders and holy crap did it work. Dropped Asajj in 2 rounds in one match. Defenders were easy pickings. Nobody knew what the list was capable of. Everyone saw my list and just said "Parattanni?" And Im like "Nope. Same ships, different pilots."

Man, love flying that list.

Another fond but very recent memory

Going 6-0 at Store Champs with 5X. Its a list I dreamed of flying buying this game so many years ago. Just take a bunch of xwings and have fun and blow **** up. Now I got my chance. Was fantastic.

Pulling out a bunch of 40k terrain to make a Beggar's Canyon 4 player scenario.  I played with Scum and had some Kihraxes.  I had always said they didn't need the 3 hard turn.  After some brutal fights I had the package and was near the exit edge.  If I had a 3 hard turn, I would've won.   I didn't and flubbed my green dice, dying right at the board edge.

Taking 4 Tie Bombers to a Store Champ before the fixes of Guidance Chips and all that.  One game I dropped 4 Seismic Charges to have the Outrider land right on all 4.  Then, I open fired with 3 missiles to destroy the Outrider in one round.  Next round was vs. 5 Interceptors.  I destroyed them all in 5 turns due to bombs and missiles.  Finally beat my tournament nemesis in the next round.  Lost to 3 generic Tie Phantoms. 

At a tiny local store champ (6 players) I played against a regular opponent of mine that hadn't won against me up to that point. He had Brobots, I Redline, Soontir, and OL. He brought debris tokens. Not wanting to risk HLC shots on Soontir I took an unusual aproach that took him over a debris cloud for the engagent and offered a great position for the next few turns thanks to obstacles making things awkward for the bots. I rolled a crit - red turns. Couldn't get Soontir back into the fight thanks to obstacles...after my other ships were cleaned up smart blocking walked him off the board.

We still laugh about that, good times and a hilarious chain of events.

18 hours ago, cleardave said:

Back in 2015, Toronto Regionals final table vs @Darph Nader

His 8 Bandits vs my Lone Wolf Dash and Corran.

The skies were angry with laser fire that day, my friends, as two gods battled into the wee hours of the morning.  I don't think I've ever worked so hard to win a match in X-Wing before or since.

Hands down the greatest game of X-wing I've ever seen. After leaving the tournament (I had done commentary on the earlier cut rounds), I watched it on live stream and it went until 2:30 am!!! I felt so bad for @Darph Nader as you spent 2.5 hours slowly dismantling his world famous Z-swarm. 

Edited by NeverBetTheFett