Sign in to follow this  

Not really but it’s an eye-catching title and appropriate. “But why do you darn us all, Mr. Crumbs?”, you ask? Simple, you have made me desperately crave buying and running this game. I swore to myself “Enough RPGs, you fool! You have enough!” and have been good about that...until FFG started tarting up its homepage, which made* me come here. Then I read all the goodness and it’s drawn me in. At the very least the Beginner Game is calling. So, darn you all in the bestest of ways! 

*I take no responsibility for diving deeper. You’ve all seen the game’s art and know the witchy ways of FFG’s sexy-dice! 

6 minutes ago, DanGers said:

Indeed, Fantasy Flight's clever use of baked goods in their marketing is hard to resist.

tart1.gif.c934b56693c921577544b1d1e18dfcda.gif

tart3.gif.89a6ee9cf900d1afbd3ca45ad2c82cfd.gif

Wait a second... that bottom one is Path of the Destroyer!

You can't fool me you wily snake. That's an Alderac Tart!

Edit to add: Welcome to the setting, @Alderaan Crumbs-san.

Edited by Hida Jitenno

Enough RPGs? Bahahaha. 

Here's my cry for help on that topic. 

DnD 5e, currently collecting all non adventure books. SO glad they dropped the 4e model or I'd be more broke than I am. 

I kept a few Pathfinder books, like ultimate campaign, but otherwise dropped it. I'm just not interested in a system where I have to crunch that many numbers to make sure I'm not dropping behind in capabilities as we level. Combat or otherwise. I MUCH prefer the DnD 5e approach where I can give out an interesting major artifact at 5th level and not have it derail a campaign.

FFG Star Wars. Everything...no, really, EVERYTHING. Ok, just the books, not the cards and stuff but still. No regrets, best SW game ever! This coming from someone who's been playing AND running games for every previous Star Wars system (WEGD6, D20 (thankfully revised came out quickly), and Saga before this system)

Savage worlds including Deadlands (western themed with magic and the setting savage worlds original system was introduced back in the 90s), **** on Earth (literal **** on Earth after the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse were let loose. Connects to, and follows, the events in the Deadlands storyline., and Interface zero ( an independent studio created Shadowrun clone. Quicker and simpler than Shadowrun but still plenty of depth, and yes, hacking too.)

Hackmaster (all current books plus a second players book and plans to print a spiral bound PDF copy when I run it again. If you love old school DnD, 1st or 2nd edition, you'll LOVE Hackmaster. Updated rules makes for an excellent system that keeps players on their toes every second of the game. The combat is fantastic with options like "giving ground" to move 5' to reduce an enemy attack against you, but can't be used if your back is against the wall. Definitely get the PDF if nothing else. You won't regret it.)

Aces and Eights (the new hotness which should be arriving soon. So looking forward to running a game in this western genre system. Watch out for scatterguns. You'll be a daisy quick going up against one of those.)

Hero system  5e and 6e. (Formerly Champions system)

Numenera (dying for 2.0 to drop. Ran once. System is interesting but a bit too static for my taste. 2.0 seems to explain things a bit better and maybe things will click if I ever run a game again)

Strange worlds (more for its world ideas) 

Mutants and Masterminds 3e. (Love this system as a replacement for Hero/Champions system. Quick, effective, and properly dramatic: everything you need for a great campaign. I struggle with running superhero games tho. Just from the sheer options available to PCs)

Traveler (yes I've had characters die at creation, including an Admiral with full honors.)

Of Dreams and Magic (cool concept; system untested)

Dreamscape Laruna (super cool concept, system untested. This and previous book^ mostly used for ideas)

Modiphius Star Trek (Highly recommended! Great feel for Star Trek games. I got to red shirt a supporting cast member the players had introduced and built up. So it was dramatic when she suddenly died. Great moment that felt appropriate to ST and added gravitas to the situation.)

Apocalypse World (extremely, highly, recommended. Just a fantastic system for quick and dirty games with a surprisingly strong roleplaying component.)

Vampire 5e. (Just got it. Looks great. Looking forward, hopefully, to a new Werewolf book updated as well as this was.)

Edit: and I'll be buying L5R when it drops. Knew I forgot something. I'll probably pick up everything depending on how much product they drop and how quickly.

Edited by jaethe77

7 hours ago, jaethe77 said:

Enough RPGs? Bahahaha. 

Here's my cry for help on that topic. 

DnD 5e, currently collecting all non adventure books. SO glad they dropped the 4e model or I'd be more broke than I am. 

I kept a few Pathfinder books, like ultimate campaign, but otherwise dropped it. I'm just not interested in a system where I have to crunch that many numbers to make sure I'm not dropping behind in capabilities as we level. Combat or otherwise. I MUCH prefer the DnD 5e approach where I can give out an interesting major artifact at 5th level and not have it derail a campaign.

FFG Star Wars. Everything...no, really, EVERYTHING. Ok, just the books, not the cards and stuff but still. No regrets, best SW game ever! This coming from someone who's been playing AND running games for every previous Star Wars system (WEGD6, D20 (thankfully revised came out quickly), and Saga before this system)

Savage worlds including Deadlands (western themed with magic and the setting savage worlds original system was introduced back in the 90s), **** on Earth (literal **** on Earth after the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse were let loose. Connects to, and follows, the events in the Deadlands storyline., and Interface zero ( an independent studio created Shadowrun clone. Quicker and simpler than Shadowrun but still plenty of depth, and yes, hacking too.)

Hackmaster (all current books plus a second players book and plans to print a spiral bound PDF copy when I run it again. If you love old school DnD, 1st or 2nd edition, you'll LOVE Hackmaster. Updated rules makes for an excellent system that keeps players on their toes every second of the game. The combat is fantastic with options like "giving ground" to move 5' to reduce an enemy attack against you, but can't be used if your back is against the wall. Definitely get the PDF if nothing else. You won't regret it.)

Aces and Eights (the new hotness which should be arriving soon. So looking forward to running a game in this western genre system. Watch out for scatterguns. You'll be a daisy quick going up against one of those.)

Hero system  5e and 6e. (Formerly Champions system)

Numenera (dying for 2.0 to drop. Ran once. System is interesting but a bit too static for my taste. 2.0 seems to explain things a bit better and maybe things will click if I ever run a game again)

Strange worlds (more for its world ideas) 

Mutants and Masterminds 3e. (Love this system as a replacement for Hero/Champions system. Quick, effective, and properly dramatic: everything you need for a great campaign. I struggle with running superhero games tho. Just from the sheer options available to PCs)

Traveler (yes I've had characters die at creation, including an Admiral with full honors.)

Of Dreams and Magic (cool concept; system untested)

Dreamscape Laruna (super cool concept, system untested. This and previous book^ mostly used for ideas)

Modiphius Star Trek (Highly recommended! Great feel for Star Trek games. I got to red shirt a supporting cast member the players had introduced and built up. So it was dramatic when she suddenly died. Great moment that felt appropriate to ST and added gravitas to the situation.)

Apocalypse World (extremely, highly, recommended. Just a fantastic system for quick and dirty games with a surprisingly strong roleplaying component.)

Vampire 5e. (Just got it. Looks great. Looking forward, hopefully, to a new Werewolf book updated as well as this was.)

Edit: and I'll be buying L5R when it drops. Knew I forgot something. I'll probably pick up everything depending on how much product they drop and how quickly.

I LOVE Numenera! I’d be more than happy to discuss it (and Cypher in general) if you like. The new edition is really cool. 

I’m also a huge fan of GeneSys and FFG Star Wars. It’s a brilliant game.

While it’s not Apocalypse World, Blades in the Dark has its DNA and is a game I absolutely adore. It was my first online, voice-over-Discord, Roll20 experience and I still can’t believe how much fun we had!

So, those are my “Holy Trinity” game systems. If one adds in setting books and hacks, you have a TON of stuff.

My latest love is quickly becoming Invisible Sun. It’s got a nuanced and very clever depth and reading it’s like falling down the rabbit hole and repeatedly smacking walls of awesome. I’m VERY impressed so far and am excited to see it in play. It’s “Cypher-ish”, which keeps it in the Big 3.

So, L5R is a new hotness that’s got me eye. I’m eager to see how it plays and as a big fan of Asian fantasy and wuxia, I’m it’s target audience, especially with narrative dice. While it’s not GeneSys, it’s got a similar feel to me, which also puts it in the Big 3. 

Well, typing on my phone is a pain so I’m off for now. Thanks, everybody! 

19 minutes ago, Alderaan Crumbs said:

I LOVE Numenera! I’d be more than happy to discuss it (and Cypher in general) if you like. The new edition is really cool. 

I'd be interested to join that discussion. I just learned about Numenera on Free RPG Day this year; picked up an adventure module for it, then missed the Cypher kickstarter by about an hour and half this week. The setting looks amazing! But before we get too off-topic, PMs?

6 hours ago, Hida Jitenno said:

I'd be interested to join that discussion. I just learned about Numenera on Free RPG Day this year; picked up an adventure module for it, then missed the Cypher kickstarter by about an hour and half this week. The setting looks amazing! But before we get too off-topic, PMs?

Absolutely. Hit me up whenever. 

Ugh. Invisible Sun. I SO wanted to pledge on that KS but couldn't afford the level I wanted and decided to wait for it to come out. I'll probably pick it up eventually but money has me making cuts on my buying spree: it's a bit like deciding which limb I'm going to eat to survive. ?

I tend to collect more than play anyway. I've got access to a FANTASTIC gm (self published writer. Not wealthy but makes enough to support his gaming habit. The writing ability comes out in his games.) but getting together with a group is difficult. Currently its him, 2 other friends, and me as GM for the Star Trek game. After that wraps in a few weeks, he plans to run a one shot himself, then I'm debating what to run next. M&M, Hackmaster, or Aces and Eights. 

12 hours ago, Alderaan Crumbs said:

It’s like a spoon: it’s dull so it’ll hurt more. Shows mad respect. 

Or a quiet protest, an forcing one's second to murder one rather than actually kill oneself.

Hummm, what should I say:

- L5R since the 1st edition
- Numenera since its 1st edition
- The Strange (another Cypher system game, very "strange" setting, explainable, really)
- Eclipse Phase since the 1st Edition
- 7th Sea 2nd Edition and soon its eastern version 7th Sea: Khitai
- CoC 7th Edition
- Amber
and my preferred one, but I doubt many people here have ever heard about it as it is a french game: Nephilim, a contemporary occult game, where you play immortal elemental creatures forced to incarnate into humans and who are trying to free themselves from that. The game will some release its 5th edition and is in its 25th years of existence.