Bad Idea Comics

2.0 Interceptor Expansion thoughts

1 hour ago, GuacCousteau said:

Personally, I'd like to Erisi Dlarit get a spin. She's one of the most developed characters known to fly an Interceptor, she's an X-Wing series main character (putting her on the same level as Gavin Darklighter, who's made his debut in 2e) and she's one of the only pilots to go from being a Rebel to an Imperial, rather than the other way around. 

I haven’t read that book in like two decades and I’m STILL mad at Erisi.

Edited by TasteTheRainbow

I like the sound of Erisi - it seems like she should have some sort of targeted informant ability, like Kallus crew, but in pilot form.  Could that work?  If she knows the codes for your ship, could she sneak damage under shields?  Or shut them down somehow?  Maybe spend a focus to knock a shield down, akin to Krennic's Optimized Prototype?  This would mean she wouldn't need to be focused to gain some focus benefit and she would fill the niche of hard-hitter vs shields.  I feel the evade bonus @GuacCousteau mentioned would overlap with Turr Phennir.  He's the Squint jouster, though his ability is about getting out of the way while the bonus evade would keep you in the line of fire (still a scary proposition with only three hull).

3 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Really? I've faced against them a couple of times and they were pretty mean.  Friend had 2 generic guys with Stealth Device.  Flew them as 2 Flankers with a Tie Punisher slow rolling the middle.  Made it a tough choice.  Their built in PTL still made them pretty tough.  I had Homing Missiles, but couldn't get them in arc of the one ship that had them.

It's important to flank and don't fly directly at someone.

I'm not sure on a whole list of Interceptors will work.  If you fly right at someone it won't go so well.  Maybe if you baited with some, but don't joust.

They're too fragile to joust with, but I've been using 5 Cartel Marauders which had no repositioning or double actions or decent dials, all at lower PS, so (apart from a lack of hit points) these ships will be so much more fun!

(I've used 1.0 interceptors in epic quite a lot, but bombs and turrets in normal 100pt games just wreck them.)

1 hour ago, Bad Idea Comics said:

I like the sound of Erisi - it seems like she should have some sort of targeted informant ability, like Kallus crew, but in pilot form.  Could that work?  If she knows the codes for your ship, could she sneak damage under shields?  Or shut them down somehow?  Maybe spend a focus to knock a shield down, akin to Krennic's Optimized Prototype? 

Perhaps a "goad" function: enemy unique pilots must target her if able, like 1E Biggs but specifically aimed at drawing the fire of named characters.

I like the sound of Erisi - it seems like she should have some sort of targeted informant ability, like Kallus crew, but in pilot form.  Could that work?  If she knows the codes for your ship, could she sneak damage under shields?  Or shut them down somehow?  Maybe spend a focus to knock a shield down, akin to Krennic's Optimized Prototype?  This would mean she wouldn't need to be focused to gain some focus benefit and she would fill the niche of hard-hitter vs shields.  I feel the evade bonus @GuacCousteau mentioned would overlap with Turr Phennir.  He's the Squint jouster, though his ability is about getting out of the way while the bonus evade would keep you in the line of fire (still a scary proposition with only three hull).

I love the thought of adapting something similar to Cassian-crew to some sort of pilot.  Guess a move, peak at a dial, then gain a perk if you guessed correctly.  Perhaps a Focus or Evade token, or a Lock on that ship.

I remember one scene where somebody was in this underground city and Erisi came in with her TIE interceptor, and was too good at evading, and got away. Maybe some defensive bonus? Would this be too strong?

"While you defend, if you are focused, you may change one [blank] result to a [focus] result."

It makes her really good at dodging ships 1 v 1, but she wouldn't have the highest initiative, probably a 4 or maybe 5. The catch is that if she shoots at low-initiative generics, she can't spend her focus for offense, or she loses her really good defensive ability.

I'm really glad to see Erisi Dlarit mentioned here.

Edited by Parakitor

Since the hull value was not increased for TIE Interceptors in 2.0 the biggest thing they need is some kind of mod/talent that helps them not explode when looked at. Really hoping such a thing comes in their standalone expansion. As it stands if they are attacked from any range they have a good chance to take damage. Surviving on arc dodging is great, I love playing that way, but good luck dodging EVERY arc.

Caveat to this would be to drastically reduce the cost of the Interceptor. Soontir costing a quarter of your list is a steep price to pay for an offensively anemic ship that can evaporate in a turn.

4 minutes ago, spartan1128 said:

Since the hull value was not increased for TIE Interceptors in 2.0 the biggest thing they need is some kind of mod/talent that helps them not explode when looked at. Really hoping such a thing comes in their standalone expansion. As it stands if they are attacked from any range they have a good chance to take damage. Surviving on arc dodging is great, I love playing that way, but good luck dodging EVERY arc.

Caveat to this would be to drastically reduce the cost of the Interceptor. Soontir costing a quarter of your list is a steep price to pay for an offensively anemic ship that can evaporate in a turn.

Heh, it's called fielding other ships that draw fire to give your Squints time and room to flank.  They're not jousters.  The only time you should be nose to nose with a target is if all of your ships are shooting first and you can burn down your target in one round, avoiding return fire via massed assault (which is why I've been looking at Fel with Swarm Tactics in a couple lists).

I like all the Erisi concepts.  Making her an evading pilot makes for an interesting counterpoint to a Kir Kanos, who gains offense via Evade.  Maybe something as simple as a free evade action for Erisi is enough, which gets into token stacking, but only on one pilot.  Juke becomes an obvious choice for both Erisi and Kanos in this arrangement.

Really, lots of cool ideas here.  Hey Devs!  Take note!  :)

1 hour ago, Parakitor said:

I remember one scene where somebody was in this underground city and Erisi came in with her TIE interceptor, and was too good at evading, and got away. Maybe some defensive bonus? Would this be too strong?

"While you defend, if you are focused, you may change one [blank] result to a [focus] result."

It makes her really good at dodging ships 1 v 1, but she wouldn't have the highest initiative, probably a 4 or maybe 5. The catch is that if she shoots at low-initiative generics, she can't spend her focus for offense, or she loses her really good defensive ability.

I'm really glad to see Erisi Dlarit mentioned here.

considering the nerfs to the intercepter's greens I doubt it

59 minutes ago, spartan1128 said:

FFG Designer #1: the game isnt about dogfighting anymore, we should bring it back

FFG Designer #2: but what about arcdodgers? they *Might* dominate the meta

FFG Designer #1: lets nerf their green mods into the ground, their called arc-dodgers after all, we did buff their maneuverability. if they have any experiance (played since early 1.0) they'll never (somtimes) get shot at. also lets make a card (Luke) that is a hard counter, and lets take away all of their mid tier aces so that they cant build an ace list with 3 aces!

FFG Designer #2:  Brilliant! now if the evil empire wants to play they have to buy multiple conversion kits to play swarms

FFG Designer #1: speaking of which, we should keep all of the heroic rebels 4 red dice attacks and make it so that the evade token that only the evil empire uses can no longer be used to potentaly (with 3 lucky evade dice which are already worse than reds) block a 4 hit attack

FFG Designer #2: And lets take the TIE Phantom's 4 dice attack (the Empire's only 4 red) and give it to the outrider and give it a dual arc turret

Edited by mad mandolorian
added more vitrial

9 minutes ago, mad mandolorian said:

FFG Designer #1: the game isnt about dogfighting anymore, we should bring it back

FFG Designer #2: but what about arcdodgers? they *Might* dominate the meta

FFG Designer #1: lets nerf their green mods into the ground, their called arc-dodgers after all, we did buff their maneuverability. if they have any experiance (played since early 1.0) they'll never (somtimes) get shot at. also lets make a card (Luke) that is a hard counter, and lets take away all of their mid tier aces so that they cant build an ace list with 3 aces!

FFG Designer #2:  Brilliant! now if the evil empire wants to play they have to buy multiple conversion kits to play swarms

FFG Designer #1: speaking of which, we should keep all of the heroic rebels 4 red dice attacks and make it so that the evade token that only the evil empire uses can no longer be used to potentaly (with 3 lucky evade dice which are already worse than reds) block a 4 hit attack

FFG Designer #2: And lets take the TIE Phantom's 4 dice attack (the Empire's only 4 red) and give it to the outrider and give it a dual arc turret

Well, that's not helpful.

I love 2.0 and am looking forward to fielding Squints effectively, which can absolutely happen right now.  Try 'em out - I think you'll find you like them far more than your post implies.  They are the only full-flexibility double repositioning ships in the game as standard.  If you really want to complain about something, complain about Afterburners since they steal a bit of thunder from my lovely Squints.  But even then, I still like Afterburners and the Interceptor still holds its place as powerful flanker.  Yes, it's unforgiving if you fly poorly, but that's part of its appeal for me, and probably for many others that have posted in this thread.

35 minutes ago, mad mandolorian said:

What do you mean by "nerfs to the interceptor's greens"? Do you mean the lack of Autothrusters? That was just a necessary evil, and I'm glad to see it go. These guys should be as fragile as TIE fighters. If it hurts too much to lose them because they are so much more expensive, maybe TIE fighters is a more fitting play style.

13 minutes ago, Bad Idea Comics said:

Well, that's not helpful.

I love 2.0 and am looking forward to fielding Squints effectively, which can absolutely happen right now.  Try 'em out - I think you'll find you like them far more than your post implies.  They are the only full-flexibility double repositioning ships in the game as standard.  If you really want to complain about something, complain about Afterburners since they steal a bit of thunder from my lovely Squints.  But even then, I still like Afterburners and the Interceptor still holds its place as powerful flanker.  Yes, it's unforgiving if you fly poorly, but that's part of its appeal for me, and probably for many others that have posted in this thread.

I felt this thread needed more salt ?

My main issue is that that's all they can do, in 1.0 they were THE ace platform, in 2.0 they have 1 ace. in (early-mid) 1.0 they had good attack, in 2.0 while its almost the best the empire has the rebels laugh at it and power creep will always exist. in 1.0 they were the empire's go to for aces (I admit some were better than others) they had variety, in 2.0 they have 1. in 1.0 they were unforgiving, in 2.0 its do or die, i have trouble seeing new players learning to arcdodge the learning cliff seems a bit steep for them to play when there are better lists out there. arc doging in 1.0 was a challenge in 2.0 its a gamble

8 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

What do you mean by "nerfs to the interceptor's greens"? Do you mean the lack of Autothrusters? That was just a necessary evil, and I'm glad to see it go. These guys should be as fragile as TIE fighters. If it hurts too much to lose them because they are so much more expensive, maybe TIE fighters is a more fitting play style.

evade tokens being changed so that there is no way to counter 4 dice attacks mostly, there's also no way to double token, the issue that made autothrusters necessary has for the most part not been resolved (multi/High attack turrets) the turret change helps but any named ship with a turret (or any turret with luke) will be able to rotate after the interceptor moves unless it's fel then it's a maybe putting us back to when turrets reigned subprime before autothrusters came out

2 minutes ago, mad mandolorian said:

I felt this thread needed more salt ?

My main issue is that that's all they can do, in 1.0 they were THE ace platform, in 2.0 they have 1 ace. in (early-mid) 1.0 they had good attack, in 2.0 while its almost the best the empire has the rebels laugh at it and power creep will always exist. in 1.0 they were the empire's go to for aces (I admit some were better than others) they had variety, in 2.0 they have 1. in 1.0 they were unforgiving, in 2.0 its do or die, i have trouble seeing new players learning to arcdodge the learning cliff seems a bit steep for them to play when there are better lists out there. arc doging in 1.0 was a challenge in 2.0 its a gamble

Well, that's the point of this thread - you know the Interceptor expansion is coming and will include more aces, and probably a In3 generic. 

I wouldn't consider arc-dodging a gamble either.  That's like saying playing poker is gambling - it isn't; it's a skill game.  That's why I love Squints in 2.0 - we're back to what made them awesome to begin with, but they can't be your whole list or you'll just get gunned down.  What used to save them if you were caught in arc was turtling up with focus, evade, and stress from PTL.  You no longer have that option and that's awesome!  That's not a negative, it's a positive!  It means that the Interceptor is a specialized ship designed to chase down hard targets and flank heavies.  You wanna joust?  Bring bombers or a pile of TIES.  Roll the Squints up a side and into the side/rear of the enemy.  I used to shock opponents with a pair of 5 speed straights up one side, right past their forces, then loop back on them.  I can do that even more effectively now because I have more points for diversionary jousters and the Interceptor has a 3 Sloop I'm itchy to use.

To the main point though, new aces will make this ship even better.

I like all the Erisi concepts.  Making her an evading pilot makes for an interesting counterpoint to a Kir Kanos, who gains offense via Evade.  Maybe something as simple as a free evade action for Erisi is enough, which gets into token stacking, but only on one pilot.  Juke becomes an obvious choice for both Erisi and Kanos in this arrangement.

Juke is part of the reason I don't want her to get a free evade action - she wasn't very good at attacking in the novels if I remember correctly. Also, it feels too much like, "I'm a budget TIE defender." Also...

2 minutes ago, mad mandolorian said:

evade tokens being changed so that there is no way to counter 4 dice attacks mostly, there's also no way to double token, 

I had forgotten this tidbit because I never evade with my generic interceptors. Okay "never" is an exaggeration. But I like the idea that if you really want to token stack, you have to bring in a support ship to aid your interceptors. Anyway, you're right that this hurts token stacking, which I think is a good thing. I don't want want to hunt down TIE defenders that can get 4 evade results at range 1.

Last point: Return of the Jedi. When all those interceptors flew at the Millennium Falcon it didn't look like arc dodging. I love that swarmy feel of TIE interceptors, and I'm excited that they're cheap enough to fly en masse. If interceptors had token stacking, they would be too expensive for this tactic. Which would make me sad, but I can see how this style might not appeal to everybody.

I’m flying

soontir 52 

sabre x2 (40x2) 

alpha x2 (34x2) 

five interceptors is nothing to sneeze at (or they might die). I am 2-1 with the list and think I can do well if I can get back in the groove.  I could have won the game I lost if I had better tactics.  I think  the squad has potential- ps4 sabers are not bad, I was able to arc dodge a little but my problem was I was too aggressive 

1 minute ago, freakyg3 said:

I’m flying

soontir 52 

sabre x2 (40x2) 

alpha x2 (34x2) 

five interceptors is nothing to sneeze at (or they might die). I am 2-1 with the list and think I can do well if I can get back in the groove.  I could have won the game I lost if I had better tactics.  I think  the squad has potential- ps4 sabers are not bad, I was able to arc dodge a little but my problem was I was too aggressive 

I like this, but there's this weird thing going on with 34 pts.  It's also the cost of:

Scimitar with Barrage Rockets

Baron TAP

Seinar Sepc with Dorsal Turret

Mauler Mithel or Scourge Skutu with Predator

So, you can easily swap out your two Alphas with these options and maintain a 5-ship list.  Personally, i favor the bombers here, as they are likely to draw fire, and if they don't then they pour fire into targets while you turn and burn with your Squints.  I like the TIEs as well - it means you're fielding In6/5/5/4/4 and they hit like Squints, just dependent on rang or bullseye arc.

7 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

I actually really hope they don't bother with any of the Royal Guard stuff this time. 

It was never really an actual thing. It was an over the top quest reward from a Star Wars Galaxies expansion that came out long after SWG had lost the plot. It got referenced in (I think) one of the Saga Edition RPG books (often thought of as the worst of the three Star Wars RPG systems) and that was it.

Kir Kanos flew an X-Wing, A Skipray Blastboat and a Scimitar Assault Bomber, but never once flew an Interceptor in any of his appearances. Carnor Jax was never seen to fly anything. They were just convenient names to put into a convenient repaint to sell the aces pack.

The thing that always bugged me about 1e was that, outside of the Alpha and Avenger generics, there weren't any normal TIE Interceptor pilots in the whole game.

Fel, Phennir and Fel's Wrath were all 181st, and had the stripes. Tetran Cowall was an actor pretending to be Fel in a fake 181st. Lt. Lorrir claimed he had once flown in the 181st, but was never actually seen flying anything other than a shuttle in his only appearance. And Kir Kanos and Carnor Jax were, of course, Royal Guards. 

Not one named, normal TIE Interceptor pilot. In 2e we have a chance to get Ciena Ree to finally fill that role, but even Vult Skerris gets the ****ing stripes on his TIE in Rebels. 

Personally, I'd like to Erisi Dlarit get a spin. She's one of the most developed characters known to fly an Interceptor, she's an X-Wing series main character (putting her on the same level as Gavin Darklighter, who's made his debut in 2e) and she's one of the only pilots to go from being a Rebel to an Imperial, rather than the other way around. 

I was surprised this was an opinion one could even have about Royal Guard TIE Interceptors. Since it's such a cool concept.

Fun fact- Attack Squadrons had a Royal Guard standard TIE Fighter skin, which was also pretty cool. RIP, that game. Never made it out of beta, was gonna' be SO good...

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3qJDJ
You can't see them here, but they made over a hundred ship skins for this game, and they were all beautiful.

Edited by Captain Lackwit

15 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Yeah, I want this ship back.  I joined these boards mostly to figure out why I couldn't seem to make this ship work in 1.0, only to discover it was Fel or nothing.

Getting the "meh" feedback on the 2.0 version of this ship is one reason I wouldn't bother going Imperial.  I've been living on TAPs and Silencers since the Squint was always not so hot.

Seeing it down to 4 pilots in 2.0 is a bummer, too.

Point me at the naysayers, I'll challenge them to pistols at noon!

But seriously, focus into boost or roll for the block is going to be amazing.

14 minutes ago, Bad Idea Comics said:

Well, that's the point of this thread - you know the Interceptor expansion is coming and will include more aces, and probably a In3 generic. 

I wouldn't consider arc-dodging a gamble either.  That's like saying playing poker is gambling - it isn't; it's a skill game.  That's why I love Squints in 2.0 - we're back to what made them awesome to begin with, but they can't be your whole list or you'll just get gunned down.  What used to save them if you were caught in arc was turtling up with focus, evade, and stress from PTL.  You no longer have that option and that's awesome!  That's not a negative, it's a positive!  It means that the Interceptor is a specialized ship designed to chase down hard targets and flank heavies.  You wanna joust?  Bring bombers or a pile of TIES.  Roll the Squints up a side and into the side/rear of the enemy.  I used to shock opponents with a pair of 5 speed straights up one side, right past their forces, then loop back on them.  I can do that even more effectively now because I have more points for diversionary jousters and the Interceptor has a 3 Sloop I'm itchy to use.

To the main point though, new aces will make this ship even better.

ahh that's the difference, I did like running 3 aces so hard counters hit harder and are less avoidable, for me the thrill was "ok, they did that what can I do to NOT DIE and would put me in a better position" and in 2.0 all the interceptors are int 4 or lower except soontir and fat turrets have me running out of ideas except "Run away" which is no fun for anyone. I agree that Interceptors can be good when supported by other ships but alone they can no longer teach the rebels what a real ace squadron looks like. which with the interceptor as the ace platform of choice for the empire was something I thought 2.0 would keep, seems I was mistaken

yes that 3-sloop does look fun, although it takes away ALL your actions so it's not much better than the 3k it had before

I can only hope that the Interceptor pack when it finally does arrive (has anyone heard anything other than someday?) will give soontir an ace buddy to fly with

26 minutes ago, Bad Idea Comics said:

I like this, but there's this weird thing going on with 34 pts.  It's also the cost of:

Scimitar with Barrage Rockets

Baron TAP

Seinar Sepc with Dorsal Turret

Mauler Mithel or Scourge Skutu with Predator

So, you can easily swap out your two Alphas with these options and maintain a 5-ship list.  Personally, i favor the bombers here, as they are likely to draw fire, and if they don't then they pour fire into targets while you turn and burn with your Squints.  I like the TIEs as well - it means you're fielding In6/5/5/4/4 and they hit like Squints, just dependent on rang or bullseye arc.

U are right the conversion kit only has three interceptors - I just like to spam lists - I want re learn squints. So there really is 68 points to spend.  I’ve thought about the bombers.  Any other suggestions? 

17 hours ago, freakyg3 said:

U are right the conversion kit only has three interceptors - I just like to spam lists - I want re learn squints. So there really is 68 points to spend.  I’ve thought about the bombers.  Any other suggestions? 

Those are all the ships that run 34 pts each, which is a lot actually.  It seems to be the magic pt value.  68 pts would also likely buy you a knarly Redline that'd hit like a truck - something that can't be avoided and makes for a juicy target because it's easier to hit than squirrely squints.

18 hours ago, mad mandolorian said:

ahh that's the difference, I did like running 3 aces so hard counters hit harder and are less avoidable, for me the thrill was "ok, they did that what can I do to NOT DIE and would put me in a better position" and in 2.0 all the interceptors are int 4 or lower except soontir and fat turrets have me running out of ideas except "Run away" which is no fun for anyone. I agree that Interceptors can be good when supported by other ships but alone they can no longer teach the rebels what a real ace squadron looks like. which with the interceptor as the ace platform of choice for the empire was something I thought 2.0 would keep, seems I was mistaken

yes that 3-sloop does look fun, although it takes away ALL your actions so it's not much better than the 3k it had before

I can only hope that the Interceptor pack when it finally does arrive (has anyone heard anything other than someday?) will give soontir an ace buddy to fly with

If you are looking for 3 Imperial Aces to carry a list, yes, I think that option is not really viable.  Don't forget that they stated this was going to be the play style of the First Order, so maybe you are just looking at the wrong faction?

Having Interceptors at Init 3-4 is not a bad thing.  Of course not good for triple aces, but that's not a viable list anyways.  So, if you have 1 or 2 Init 3-4 flankers in a list, that is not bad at all.

On 8/29/2018 at 1:50 PM, spartan1128 said:

This is all wrong. Soontir with lonewolf, stealth device, and palp support is fantastic. If you think he evaporates at any range, you need to go look at a dice calculator to help you understand how wrong you are. Soontir rewards people who have the correct strategy and those who make the best decisions in list building, actions, and dials more than any other pilot. If you can't have success with him it's honestly on you, the player.  Soontir at a base cost of 52 is a steal.